PDA

View Full Version : New to P99 need advice!

Aggrow
07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
So I just ordered a copy of titanium off ebay for more then id like to admit.... I was hoping for some class advice. When I first started playing back in 99 I leveled a human sk to 48 before I stopped playing. Part of me wants to roll the sk again but then again iv been there and done that. So basically I was wondering if there is a lack of certain classes on P1999?

My list of top pics so far are:

1: Enchanter
2: Rogue
3: Ranger

Il have a week or so to think it over while it goes through the mail. Thanks for any input you can give.

Raavak
07-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Enchanter probably best for a new player without funds. Rogues are very equipment dependent and its hard to do that from scratch. Possible though. Ranger... gtfo.

delusion
07-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Out of those three I would go with the enchanter. The ranger will be just as challenging to play as your SK was if not more. As a enchanter you will have no problems getting a group and can solo quite well at higher levels. I know very little about rogues, maybe someone else can shine some light on them for you.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the server!;)

Aggrow
07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the tip, il probably go enchanter then. Why Rangers gtfo? They super common? Iv just always wanted to roll one but everybody I knew had one. I never got to roll a ranger in D&D either lol, I was always the cleric.

Tiggles
07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
I would go with enchanter or rogue.

Both are loved by groups.

The enchanter is a much better solo class and can farm money as well.

If your first class is a solo/farm class like an enc you can play any other class down the line twinked and thats good.

Aggrow
07-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks again, enchanter is prob my best bet then. I may end up going rogue but I can see the enchanter will have some advantages. Probably best to go enchanter first then I can use that to fuel my twinked rogue. Either way I'm stoaked to get ingame! I started to hear the theme music at work and i knew there had to be a way to get back to 1999. Looks like I found it.

Estu
07-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the tip, il probably go enchanter then. Why Rangers gtfo? They super common? Iv just always wanted to roll one but everybody I knew had one. I never got to roll a ranger in D&D either lol, I was always the cleric.

Rangers are a very poor class in EverQuest and they have a 40% EXP penalty to boot.

Raavak
07-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Why Rangers gtfo? They super common? Iv just always wanted to roll one but everybody I knew had one.Many reasons. They are hybrids and suffer an exp penalty. They aren't very good tanks. They aren't very good dps. Even worse as healers. They are gear dependent. I imagine it is hard to get into exp groups unless you know someone.

They do get SoW and tracking, probably their only real claims to fame. They might be a fun class to play, but don't start with one unless you are either sadomastic or don't really plan on playing P99 more than a few weeks before finding a fun hobby that doesn't make you want to kill yourself.

Aggrow
07-24-2013, 03:41 PM
So... Rangers out.

citizen1080
07-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Rangers out till velious at least when their xp pen is removed. Great utility class..but they dont bring enough to the table to complensate for the xp pen.

I have a lvl 49 just sitting waiting for the xp pen to be removed before i play him.

Enchanters are very powerful, OP to be honest. CHA gear is cheap so u can get him geared for very little investment. And they solo or group equally well.

They are a difficult class to play well however, not as bad as a bard but i would say 2nd hardest to play well.

Peekae
07-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Rangers are decent DPS but only when very well geared and then they are still outdps'd by monks and rogues etc.

Rogue will be very group dependent and you wont be able to solo farm really however compared to other pure melee they are fairly cheapish to gear out. You can raid anything effectively with your epic + resist gear.

Enchanters are an awesome class and will be group dependent early probably however if you are comfortable charming you will be able to solo / solo farm very well late game. Enchanters are one of the best duo / solo classes at 60 with charm / cc.

Raid wise rogues are awesome and great to have on all boss fights. Enchanters are good on some / just buff bots on others depends if there will be adds / things to charm or just one single mob really.

Its up to you in the long run and how you want to play the game. Many will probably tell you to roll a caster first as its easier to farm and you get new spell upgrades every few levels vs struggling for more gear with no money early game as a melee. Though starting as a melee really isn't as bad as some people will make it out to be.

TLDR: Just play whatever you like and roll with it is my 2cents

webrunner5
07-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah, if you do start a Enchanter, which I would suggest, put at least half your starting points in Charisma. On here that stat is what makes your charm last longer. You need to try to hit 200 or more on it to be pretty good at it. It is your bread and butter on here.

Aggrow
07-24-2013, 04:07 PM
so half cha half int? Its really a tossup, I don't mind the challenge of the enchanter as iv been playing these games for almost half my life. I think chanter would be neat too because it would be a very different experience then iv had in the past. Iv been watching alot of videos of people playing on p99. Trying to get the feel back and maybe that will tell me what I want to play.

fadetree
07-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Rangers are fun to play because they kind of suck. Any fool can play most classes just as well as the next guy...but if a ranger's good it's because the player is really good.

But, as they say, the 40% penalty is hard to take. Velious will make things a lot better, which is why I parked mine at 52 until Vel.

zaraax
07-24-2013, 06:13 PM
wait for EQ Next ha

Aggrow
07-24-2013, 07:12 PM
EQ Next is what sparked my interest in this. I have a feeling Next won't live up to what this game meant to me. It might be amazing I don't know but it won't be here for a while either way. Till it comes out il just re-live my old days.