PDA

View Full Version : Bringing an EQ virgin to play

eqravenprince
11-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Anyone else never played EQ come to play on this server? I'm worried it's going to be too much of a learning curve for a brand new player especially if they started with a newer game like WoW.

Danth
11-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I convinced a buddy to give it a try. The dated graphics seemed to cause him to lose interest more than anything else. Admittedly, EQ's outdoor areas might be described as ho-hum relative to what can be found in some newer games.

I wouldn't expect the learning curve to be much of a problem. The newbie zones on P1999 have maps available, and EQ's actual mechanics are extremely simple--EQ's difficulty stems not from its mechanics, but from the way it hits the player like a hammer when the player makes a mistake.

Danth

Tollen
11-24-2009, 04:38 PM
agree with Danth, yes there might be bit of a learning curve but the lack of eye candy wont hold the new age of mmo'ers as well as WoW will. and I bet once he dies and has to spend more then 15m to get his corpse back he will wish he was playing wow again...

eqravenprince
11-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I like the graphics, but it could be nostalgia talking too.

Tollen
11-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Id vote nostalgia, but man the game mechanics is what got me hooked, only other game I enjoy playing is DAoC. WoW just looks pretty and any 8 year old can play it (and they do!).

Winobot
11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
EQ can be extremely punishing to your average wow nob. They’re used to faster leveling, easy corpse runs, being able to solo and quest with every class. If you’re first mmo was wow, you were spoiled. The rest of us were the ones walking 10 miles to school in snow up to our knees.

What does it mean now? Well, if you never played EQ during live, I don’t see how the game will capture interest. For the rest of us, we can truly appreciate what the game is and how it is still one of the most appealing mmo’s out there.

Virgis
11-24-2009, 05:49 PM
The answer for me will always be community. WoW has no community outside of their horrid message board. If you do something outrageously dick-ish at low levels, no one will ever care, come max level. An damn near no one knows anyone else, because of all the soloing going on.
I remember people on my original EQ server being virtually blackballed for life for training, ninja looting, etc. And damn near everyone knew everyone else of their appropriate level range, for the most part. WoW just seem so shallow in comparison.

President
11-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Ive tried and none of them make it far at all. One of my buddies I talked into PEQ back in the day and he didn't like that much. He liked this a bit more but I think his choice in playing a cleric somewhat ruined is fun.

I tried to talk another d-bag friend into trying it and he literally quit the second he saw the graphics (yet plays MUD's....)

Takshaka
11-24-2009, 05:52 PM
I tried to talk another d-bag friend into trying it and he literally quit the second he saw the graphics (yet plays MUD's....)

That is really odd. I always considered EQ to be much more like a MUD that any other major MMORPG. Especially when you take into account how the questing is implemented in EQ.

President
11-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Like I said, hes a d-bag.

Ehud
11-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't know if it's possible to introduce a newbie to EQ if they've already played a newer generation MMORPG..

Estharik
11-24-2009, 07:49 PM
I convinced my friend to play and she hasn't had much of a problem. She never played wow or any other mmo as far as I know, and she's having a great time.

Wiza
11-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I have my brother-in-law playing, and he's never played MMOs before, the closest is Oblivion. However, I'm happy to report he's hooked already as a level 4 rogue, sends me e-mail questions and such all the time.

He's having a "wow" experience like we did when we all started.

_Nayiri_
11-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I've got a friend playing right now, and she's doing serviceably well, though she's more of a newbie to video games in general.

yesterday she rolled a ranger, ran into the middle of the GFay orc encampments, and got herself killed. She's a better example of an individual for whom the learning curve actually has been steep.

guineapig
11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Like I said, hes a d-bag.

You blunt honesty is commendable.
When will people learn that "good graphics do not a good game make".

quido
11-25-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm brand new to Everquest. I'm new to all mmorpgs really. I've never played WoW. The closest I have come to something like this is Diablo2. This game is difficult as hell for someone who's never played it, but I find the experience to be very rewarding. I started a month ago and am level 44 now. I made a lot of bonehead mistakes, but hey, you learn. Someone invisioed me to go grab my corpse once and I tried to loot it in front of the mobs that killed me without dragging it. Well I never did that again. I've made all kinds of retarded mistakes, and the learning curve is steep compared to other games I've played, but hell, P1999 is great and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

valdi313
11-25-2009, 08:40 PM
I can say that I can completely new to EQ, but I am a MMO veteran. I started with DAOC, and moved on to almost every game that was offered, including the dreade WoW, which I played from launch.
No matter what some say about what WoW has become, I am happy to say that I leveled a druid to 60 as a resto spec, which was the fastest spec at launch for those that were around.
I am loving my time in EQ so far. I picked a mage as a starting class. Better to learn as DPS than a tank or healer I always say.
The learning curve is steep, but I am loving the brutal nature of the gameplay. Having consequences from death is awesome in my book. I'm still looking for the game that makes you reroll upon death, but I guess that is even too hardcore even for this EQ community.

Demious
11-25-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm still in the process of getting my hands on the titanium edition of EQ. I played shortly after release and then on and off for about 4 years.

Of course, nothing has come close to EQ experience (and I've played them all). I'm pretty excited about P1999-- Should be great..

Only question I have is: I was thinking of creating a Cleric. How feasible is that on this server? Will there be folks to group with this late in the game?

Elerion
11-26-2009, 05:25 AM
Only question I have is: I was thinking of creating a Cleric. How feasible is that on this server? Will there be folks to group with this late in the game?
Highly feasible. I'd go as far as to say that if you want to group with other players, there is no other server better suited for it, Live or otherwise. Most people rolled here because they wanted to experience that old school grouping again, and it shows. Even the solo classes seem to prefer groups more often than not. That said, you will still find times where no groups are available, but I haven't had to wait over an hour or so for a group yet.

Valdi: EQ did actually have a server with PvP and permadeath way back. It was fun in its own way, although I never got above level 10 before dying to some asshole mage :(