PDA

View Full Version : Seeking starting advice

EliteJackson
11-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm hoping a more experienced 99er can point me in a good direction to get my level 6 characters up into a more group-friendly level range. So far I've gotten several classes to that point but I have a hell of a time getting much farther as low-level groups are scarce.

This problem is a bit more pronounced on my SK because I can't out-tank a pet, and EVERYONE has a pet. Which basically makes me an XP drain on the people I group with, so I understand their reluctance.

What I'm hoping I can find is some resource for the turn-in quests that are worth chasing down at the lower levels. The gnoll fangs in Qeynos were really good for a couple levels as the gnolls were more-or-less soloable (much more so last night after the melee tweak, for most blue-cons). The belt turn-in in Kaladim was also really good, for the characters on that side of the world.

I'm wondering if there are continued quests like this that I can use to solo up to around the teen area where there seems to be a much larger population of consistent players. If anyone knows of a website that has the classic info on this, or just a truly superior grind spot, I'd appreciate the help.

Please bear in mind these are fresh characters with appropriate gear, so soloing a high-blue is a risky proposition and whites are not an option (for my SK).

Thanks in advance.

Halladar
11-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Everyone is around Freeport if you want to group.

You can stay around qeynos till about 12 or so and it won't be too bad. I just went to Freeport because there weren't any groups around qeynos area for the most part. (My shaman is 14 now).

Most people know what things are like now, so I'd suggest you get to Freeport by asking someone to port you. Hopefully they will understand and not try to gouge you. Or you aren't too high a level yet, you could remake as an Innoruuk sk in Freeport.

On live when I started in qeynos I would do blackburrow, then bandits in Karanas. They have a lot of casters though and some roamers so without a group it is very risky.

If you are determined to stay around qeynos for a while, and you can't stand any more gnoll yipping, w. karana is about the only thing you can do for a while I think. You could do those scarecrows to the south, but if you are in w. karana at night they have the werewolves. And running through there I saw a giant type mob, may have been broon or choon, but I just ran without conning it.

Unless you have sow I have had bad luck in the past with W. Karana and N. Karana even though they have appropriate level mobs.

Could go to Kerra ridge maybe, but I never went there on live.

If warrens were open you could go there, great spot till in the 20's but it will be a bit. And I don't think a bertoxx worshipper will be kos by heretics (or running through erudin), but it will be a long time till they give you a key.

Even if you have a magic weapon, I stayed away from the wisps on wisp island, because they seemed to mob you a lot. Only went there when I needed plat and high enough in level they were no challenge.

Anyway, good luck. Probably freeport is best option, there are groups for dervs and orcs, and oasis has a good population. Or you could run to unrest a bit later, back in the day I would go south to get around the guards that man the gate a ways in from the docks on faydwer.

EliteJackson
11-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks, I'll look into hoofing over to Freeport. Appreciate the advice.

messiah_b
11-24-2009, 02:18 PM
That is a tough position. I know that Crushbone seems to have low level groups going about every night, but that doesn't necessarily help someone who can't take CB faction hits. I would suggest freeport. There seems to be almost nightly EC orc camps and then crocs.

What I did is made a magician so I can

1) ~own everything~

and I keep eyes open for groups for my melee while doing the above.

Villide
11-24-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm in the same boat on my Paladin.

I found the gnoll fang quest to be solid up through at least level 10, although it's a bit mindless. It's still good XP, and you can get the fangs much quicker, so you should be able to get through the next few levels fairly quickly.

I cycled through the gnolls out in front of Blackburrow for the most part - and killed the gnoll hunter that would pop occasionally. When you get both portions of the staff he drops, you can take them to Surefall Glade and turn it in to Corun Finisc to get the Jaggedpine Crook. Not sure if that would be a problem for you as an SK or not (faction wise). But you get about 5 to 8 plat for each Crook you make and a bit of experience. And you can sell the Crook itself on a vendor for another plat or so, or give them to the newbie Druids/Rangers.

At level 12, I decided to try to make the run from Qeynos to Freeport. It was pretty straightforward until I got to Highpass Hold. There's a red scowling gnoll guarding the entry, so I guess invis would be necessary to get through to the forest, so I'll have to try to get some assistance. I got there just before the servers went down, and haven't had a chance to log back in since, so I'm still undecided. But it sounds like Freeport is a better spot to be to find groups, quests, etc.

Aeolwind
11-24-2009, 02:54 PM
This problem is a bit more pronounced on my SK because I can't out-tank a pet, and EVERYONE has a pet. Which basically makes me an XP drain on the people I group with, so I understand their reluctance.

This shouldn't be the case any longer. Pets are NPC's and as such, nerfed by the same fix I put on mobs.

EliteJackson
11-24-2009, 03:18 PM
At level 12, I decided to try to make the run from Qeynos to Freeport. It was pretty straightforward until I got to Highpass Hold. There's a red scowling gnoll guarding the entry, so I guess invis would be necessary to get through to the forest, so I'll have to try to get some assistance. I got there just before the servers went down, and haven't had a chance to log back in since, so I'm still undecided. But it sounds like Freeport is a better spot to be to find groups, quests, etc.

I ran my level 5 or 6 bard from Gfay to Qeynos, I think I had to go through Highpass also. It required a 10 plat invis pot that I bought from some halflings after back tracking for a few zones. It lasted like 15 minutes and was more than enough to get me through the zone, though it's a little twisty. Really exciting, actually. That run on my bard is the most fun thing I've done in an MMO since the original EQ.

Also, thanks for the note about the pets. I'll see if I can't manage to find a partner to test it out with tonight.

Villide
11-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I ran my level 5 or 6 bard from Gfay to Qeynos, I think I had to go through Highpass also. It required a 10 plat invis pot that I bought from some halflings after back tracking for a few zones. It lasted like 15 minutes and was more than enough to get me through the zone, though it's a little twisty. Really exciting, actually. That run on my bard is the most fun thing I've done in an MMO since the original EQ.

Also, thanks for the note about the pets. I'll see if I can't manage to find a partner to test it out with tonight.
Ahhhh...the Cloudy Potion right? For some reason, I thought the potions weren't classic. Thanks for the info!

Wenai
11-24-2009, 04:12 PM
The easiest way to get from Qeynos is:

Qeynos>Qeynos Hills>West Karana>North Karana>South Karana>Lake Rathe>Rathe Mountains>Feerrott>Innothule Swamp>South Ro>Oasis>North Ro>East Freeport

You can do the run at level 1 if you have a SoW. Just watch out for Kermyt in Lake Rathe.

karsten
11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
if i could give one piece of advice to melees starting out on this server, it would be to be as proactive as possible. since about level 8 or so i've rarely been in a group that i haven't formed myself -- primarily for the reason that you mentioned above. go out and grasp your own destiny, good luck!

Morfnblorsh
11-24-2009, 04:25 PM
If I could also give one piece of advice, it would be that any time you see Karsten, run up to him and /dance so you can get a sweet free high-five.

It's totally rad, dawg!

EliteJackson
11-24-2009, 04:28 PM
The easiest way to get from Qeynos is:

Qeynos>Qeynos Hills>West Karana>North Karana>South Karana>Lake Rathe>Rathe Mountains>Feerrott>Innothule Swamp>South Ro>Oasis>North Ro>East Freeport

You can do the run at level 1 if you have a SoW. Just watch out for Kermyt in Lake Rathe.

Well, would ya look at that. I wonder if the people who directed me through the intensely hostile zones were less well-informed or just laughing hysterically.

Maybe a little from column a, little from column b...

messiah_b
11-24-2009, 04:31 PM
This shouldn't be the case any longer. Pets are NPC's and as such, nerfed by the same fix I put on mobs.

But they were also buffed the same as PC's as they are taking less damage.

Halladar
11-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, would ya look at that. I wonder if the people who directed me through the intensely hostile zones were less well-informed or just laughing hysterically.

Maybe a little from column a, little from column b...

There is a gnoll camp in Lake Rathe just when you zone in from S. Karana.

It's been a while, but I think they are hostile. They might be those Rodcet Nife worshipping gnolls though.

I'm not sure why he posted that. Maybe he is right, but to me it is much better to run the northern route. The grotto is pretty easy to run through if you have sow, and you aren't in Runnyeye long. If you are evil you would have to go through Rivervale though.

Highpass is quicker, but you would need invis of some sort to get through there if you are low level.

Wenai
11-24-2009, 04:51 PM
When you zone from South Karana to Lake Rathe.. you can run up the wall to avoid aggro.

EliteJackson
11-24-2009, 04:55 PM
There is a gnoll camp in Lake Rathe just when you zone in from S. Karana.

It's been a while, but I think they are hostile. They might be those Rodcet Nife worshipping gnolls though.

I'm not sure why he posted that. Maybe he is right, but to me it is much better to run the northern route. The grotto is pretty easy to run through if you have sow, and you aren't in Runnyeye long. If you are evil you would have to go through Rivervale though.

Highpass is quicker, but you would need invis of some sort to get through there if you are low level.

I actually meant the folks who directed me through a black forest full of red, snarling things which led to the caves full of green snarling things, which led to the potion purchase.

The route listed here is far more accessible.

Villide
11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
See, but then you wouldn't have had this:
That run on my bard is the most fun thing I've done in an MMO since the original EQ.
:D

Takshaka
11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Here is a really useful map for people unfamiliar with the how to get from one zone to the next. I cannot remember where I downloaded this map from so I am unable to give proper credit, but it isnt like I am claiming that I made it or anything.
*EDIT: As you can see by looking at the map(however I was oblivious to it) created by Arcke Taggins of Povar
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_ktmu7xuBYo1qzvsmco1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1259184537&Signature=dLcCOHdPwk%2BLJe09a1LyQdPMlO0%3D

Firrewhisper
11-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Nice map

foxdragoon
11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
That map is extremely helpful, thank you so much.

Falisaty
11-24-2009, 09:48 PM
I cannot remember where I downloaded this map from so I am unable to give proper credit, but it isnt like I am claiming that I made it or anything.

Humm is it just me or does it say created by Arcke Taggins of povar?....

Takshaka
11-24-2009, 10:21 PM
hmm... whaddya know? I looked at this map about 10-12 times and I never noticed that. Talk about tunnel vision eh?

Falisaty
11-24-2009, 10:28 PM
LOL its ok just thought that was funny..... Now you can edit your post and give proper props to da man.

stormlord
11-25-2009, 08:43 AM

How does this make players more competitive? Can you elaborate, please?

Also, are pets supposed to be weaker than players or is there some kind of dynamic going on? How do mages fit in group/solo play?

Tovok
11-25-2009, 01:58 PM
I've actually found all 3 main newbie areas to be well populated here (speaking of CB, nek/EC, and QH/BB). I spent a good deal of my time in a group or a duo, so people are definitely willing to do it. I would say that BB was the quickest and/or easiest place to go from 1-8 or so. We'll see how long it takes to get to 12. I feel North Ro calling me, so I might not make it the whole way there.

(Dorn, I owe you one!)

messiah_b
11-25-2009, 02:02 PM

Also, are pets supposed to be weaker than players or is there some kind of dynamic going on? How do mages fit in group/solo play?

Well it does in a way since it will be tougher for most pets to hold aggro which is a major component of tanking. In that respect he is somewhat correct as a pet would not be a preferred tank for a group with Melee in it since the pet cannot keep aggro of a melee dps.

For solo play, or play where you have nothing but casters I would say it comes out even as the pets can actually soak up more damage.

Aeolwind
11-25-2009, 05:53 PM

Players, in general, should have more HP and mitigation than pets. AKA if a pet from a 30 mage is tanking as well as a 30 warrior; requiring less heals/attention then it's out of whack.

And now you've piqued my interest if this is actually occuring and casters are just being tight lipped thinking it's intended.

Pets should -never- be a replacement for a player. The mage should be the center point, not the pet. Necro's are a bit different as their pets were considered superior to mage pets.

messiah_b
11-26-2009, 12:53 AM
And now you've piqued my interest if this is actually occuring and casters are just being tight lipped thinking it's intended.

At release I remember magicians not being wanted too much in groups. At 12 here I was soloing Trainer hill with nothing but cloth on. I don't think any other class can do that.

I don't know about later levels but through 17 magicians play like peq or something.

Edit: If you want to run some tests I would be happy to I am free the next 4.

yaaaflow
11-26-2009, 03:23 AM
Thing is that it seems pets will never hold aggro over any PC within combat range of the mob, so outside of caster only groups their pets just won't tank.

Tovok
11-26-2009, 04:35 AM
Players, in general, should have more HP and mitigation than pets. AKA if a pet from a 30 mage is tanking as well as a 30 warrior; requiring less heals/attention then it's out of whack.

Pets should -never- be a replacement for a player. The mage should be the center point, not the pet. Necro's are a bit different as their pets were considered superior to mage pets.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I remembered it being the other way around.

If there's a bug with mage pets, at least at low level, it's that the highest level summon is too high. The old ones could be up to yellow relative to the caster at 4 and 8, but here they can be up to red.

Part of the reason I think people like pets in groups is because of the disposability/replacability, and the fact that PC tanks in general don't have much gear yet to differentiate them.

Bashez
11-26-2009, 04:46 AM

Are you sure about this? I remember in classic I was inferior to pets in just about every conceivable way until getting really good gear. In duels 1v1 earth pets should be beating warriors at level 50. I remember being so mad when I got 50 and I couldn't even kill a pet.

stormlord
11-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Thing is that it seems pets will never hold aggro over any PC within combat range of the mob, so outside of caster only groups their pets just won't tank.

This was one of the things that made me say "dynamic". Perhaps there's some kind of catch to the effectiveness of the mage pet. Or maybe most people just don't know that players are actually better tanks than mage pets now.

I've heard it said in this forum that a group of mages could clear guk. They said this before the melee fix.

I'll admit that in the level range 4-7 or so (this is the highest i am right now, i have several alts) mages are very good. Their pets are good dps. I think part of the problem is a lot of players aren't properly equipped for their level. I've seen level 6 warriors with just a couple peices of cloth armor and that's it (and no shield). Maybe this plays a role in player opinion (distorts it).

stormlord
11-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Are you sure about this? I remember in classic I was inferior to pets in just about every conceivable way until getting really good gear. In duels 1v1 earth pets should be beating warriors at level 50. I remember being so mad when I got 50 and I couldn't even kill a pet.

You were probably under-equipped.

However, this does seem to have been the majority viewpoint on this server (b4 melee fix). How can anyone not notice that.

But I ask again... even if mage pets are better tanks/dps than an average warrior at the same level, might there be some kind of dynamic that limits their effectiveness (like not holding aggro)?? Could a full group of mages outdo an optimal (diverse) group?

Elerion
11-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Skeletons (with FS daggers) and to some extent earth pets did out-duel warriors at 50 in classic. Even decently geared ones.

That doesn't mean the pets were better tanks, it was mostly due to higher damage output.

Tovok
11-26-2009, 06:08 AM
All mage groups have been good in various eras in certain niches. Just like wizard/ench AE groups were just the thing for some niches (Execution Trial for example). However, the game has always come down to high end grouping, where the holy trinity wins and pets are verboten due to pathing and mezzing; or raiding, where pets are verboten for the same reasons and mages are modrod factories with occasional CotH duties.

Necros I have less information about, but my impression is that in Kunark and Velious in particular they were mana feeders only, because pets were verboten, dots didn't stack, and resists were insane (SoV in particular).

IMHO, if pet classes are doing well now, it's probably because savvy players understand EQ the millionth time around and aren't about to play a melee class when they can't twink. Might as well enjoy it now, because pet classes will start their decline as soon as Kunark is released (sad to say).

I do hope to be proven wrong!

stormlord
11-26-2009, 06:11 AM
All mage groups have been good in various eras in certain niches. Just like wizard/ench AE groups were just the thing for some niches (Execution Trial for example). However, the game has always come down to high end grouping, where the holy trinity wins and pets are verboten due to pathing and mezzing; or raiding, where pets are verboten for the same reasons and mages are modrod factories with occasional CotH duties.

Necros I have less information about, but my impression is that in Kunark and Velious in particular they were mana feeders only, because pets were verboten, dots didn't stack, and resists were insane (SoV in particular).

IMHO, if pet classes are doing well now, it's probably because savvy players understand EQ the millionth time around and aren't about to play a melee class when they can't twink. Might as well enjoy it now, because pet classes will start their decline as soon as Kunark is released (sad to say).

I do hope to be proven wrong!

The One. He will lead us to freedom from pet tyranny!

EliteJackson
11-30-2009, 09:02 PM
From what I've seen the problem is really gear, I guess. There is just no way for a non-twink to get a remotely decent set of gear that I have seen. "Remotely decent" meaning "equal to a pet of the same level".

On my poor bastard of an SK at a whopping Sixth level I'm unable to out-aggro or out-mitigate a pet. And there is absolutely a MASSIVE difference in HP regen between the pet and my SK. Massively massive.

I've got a few pieces of leather armor on my SK that I actually ran over to him from my level 5/6 bard. These items dropped from orcs and such in Gfay. One, single item of use has dropped for my SK in Qeynos Hills or the Gnoll dungeon zone: A pair of cloth pants. That's it. Everything else I got from my bard or bought from a vendor and I've still got several slots of gear that are empty. That toon is totally broke, less than 2 plat, and takes more damage per swing than my level 6 necro's pet does by a long shot. The DPS isn't even comparable, the necro pet is far superior.

Now, as I mentioned, this is almost certainly a gearing issue. But I don't see how it could ever be reasonably expected for a starting melee character to measure up to a pet class in any way unless they are twinked out.

That's probably just the way old EQ was set up but it's essentially impossible for a new player to join the server and try to play a tank.

Tovok
11-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Was this before or after the melee fix?

I made an ogre shaman last night (which I'm loving and looking forward to playing again soon), and he was absolutely tearing shit up as far as newbie melee is concerned. By level 3 I had a full set of cloth (nearly) from the lizard men, and a few rusties of each type to choose from.

Of course, as an ogre I started with 130 STR by default, which might help somewhat. I also made a point of putting 5 into AGI so I can get to the 75 AGI barrier to avoid the AC hit.

Not sure when SKs get bash, but be sure to equip a shield for it when you do. That extra few points of damage really counts at lower levels.

Bubbles
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM

So.. you weren't privy to the last two months when groups frolicked around forcing their melee to attack mobs with arrows?

Really?

REALLY?

REEEAAAALLLLLYYY?