PDA

View Full Version : We're lucky to be playing 14 years later

diplo
07-19-2013, 11:50 AM
I was just thinking about when the game first started and when Kunark released, how impossible some of the quests would be to figure out.

One specific example is the VP key. Being how rare Rotting Skeleton/Pained soul and how vague the quest information from the NPCs are, how long did it actually take for someone back on classic to successfully finish this quest.

It's not rare to spend like 50+ hours at rotting skeleton/pained soul, who woulda thunk to kill those two specific NPCs.

Shit's cray...we are lucky to have a wiki.

Bantam 1
07-19-2013, 12:01 PM
I liked the game a little more when we didn't have a wiki.

Figuring it out was kinda fun.

Genedin
07-19-2013, 12:08 PM
I always wonder these things.

Or those secret spawns behind walls you can walk through, or false trap doors, or other misc areas that dont seem like there is any reason something should be there but there is.

I had so many played hours just exploring the world, getting lost, discovering new things.
I'm glad to now have the wiki, but nothing is going to beat that raw sense of adventure all men pine for deep within their being.

Fael
07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
It's not as improbable as you think. Ps and rs spawn roughly 1 outa 100 times. So if you have 25 servers there is a 25% chance one was up when kunark went live. Once the secret gets out. It's out.

Dolic

Nirgon
07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
I liked it when night time was pitch black even for DE's

diplo
07-19-2013, 12:40 PM

I couldn't see shit in Qhills on my erudite mage back on live...i was actually frightened as a 12 year old when i finally ventured out of qeynos into Qhills not knowing what to expect while i was nearly blind.

It's not as improbable as you think. Ps and rs spawn roughly 1 outa 100 times. So if you have 25 servers there is a 25% chance one was up when kunark went live. Once the secret gets out. It's out.

Dolic
You are correct, but the odds that people are exping that particular mob is also a variable factor, so I say that 25% chance brings it down to <5%

Nirgon
07-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Good on you for admitting that. Can't say I was ever scared but.

I definitely had too many "FUCK!" moments of panic back in the day. Then again, maybe not enough.

LordSterben
07-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Funny....I always thought the game was more fun when I had just started and had no idea what I was doing. When people still had tons of misconceptions and it wasn't possible to min/Max the hell out of everything. And when getting lost in GFay scared the crap out of me because i assumed that some random Balrog would find me and eat me. I used to follow the paths with laser precision, meeting every curve and jag step for step, after my friend told me it was safer to stick to the paths.

Trojanman
07-19-2013, 02:12 PM

^This

Ahldagor
07-19-2013, 02:36 PM
first char was half elf ranger and i got killed by a bat at night. never found the corpse. so good....

Stinkum
07-19-2013, 02:43 PM
sadly, (1) proper night vision and (2) no item linking will never happen here due to the limitations of the titanium client :(

SirAlvarex
07-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree we are lucky. Does anyone have the number on how many Epics were actually completed pre-Velious back in the day? Some of the hints you are given on the quests are so vague that it had to of been pure luck to complete it. And they only had 6 months or so before the next Expansion pack.

trustandfall
07-19-2013, 05:24 PM
I agree we are lucky. Does anyone have the number on how many Epics were actually completed pre-Velious back in the day? Some of the hints you are given on the quests are so vague that it had to of been pure luck to complete it. And they only had 6 months or so before the next Expansion pack.

I always wonder who got the original vox and Naggy kills. Unfortunately googling brings up no results.. And epics were definitely becoming more common in velious.. I can't recall how many people had them in kunark.

HawkMasterson1999
07-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Quests got figured out so fast I always figured it was the work of l33t guild hackers breaking down code and studying spawns with MQ/SEQ. Either that or it got leaked from the dev team (probably that).

Soandso
07-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Any wizards here remember the epic back in the day? How the hell were they supposed to know to talk to that npc in halas with no given information?

hatelore
07-19-2013, 06:48 PM

Funny you mention this. When i first started in 1999 I played a pvp paladin on innoruuk. I still remember venturing into nektulos woods on accident and running into a group of dark elves with lanterns. Man it was so awesome, them asking me if I was crazy venturing into dark elf territory at night, and telling me no, I could not sit at there fire since I was a pale face. I don't think I will ever forget how much fun I had back then.

koros
07-19-2013, 06:55 PM
There were hundreds if not thousands of epics completed server-wide by Velious release. Most were solved around early October 2000, by collaborative effort of the respective class boards.

Warrior and Mage epics took the longest to complete. The queen in Chardok was almost never killed, anywhere, and therefor the quest piece from her was a bottleneck.

FoH killed the original Naggy/Vox.

People shared information on boards then just as they do now, some things were kept semi-secret, but not most.

trustandfall
07-19-2013, 07:19 PM

Do you have any proof of this? And they were the first ever to do both? Would love to see some sources :)

jijii
07-19-2013, 07:20 PM
after starting up on p99 several years back i was out to dinner with some friends and told them about p99 (they used to play on live) and one of them recanted this recollection of everquest, which i think might be the best description of "the everquest experience" ive ever heard:

"all i remember is i logged in, i couldn't see anything, i heard bear noises, and then i was dead."

that's... classic everquest, right there.

SirAlvarex
07-19-2013, 08:20 PM
There were hundreds if not thousands of epics completed server-wide by Velious release. Most were solved around early October 2000, by collaborative effort of the respective class boards.

Warrior and Mage epics took the longest to complete. The queen in Chardok was almost never killed, anywhere, and therefor the quest piece from her was a bottleneck.

People shared information on boards then just as they do now, some things were kept semi-secret, but not most.

I'm curious on the Epic count. Even if we say 1000, there were what, 30 servers back in the day? If so that'd average out to 33 per server. And with 14 classes, that'd average out to a little over 2 per class per server. That doesn't even take into account top-heavy servers.

Of course you were just picking a number to emphasize that Epics were common-ish, so it's not to be taken literally. Just kind of weird to think about considering some classes aren't even considered for some raids unless they have their epics here (clerics/rogues/enchanters). And that in the last two years there might have been just as many Rogue Epic MQ's on P99 as there were Epics completed in total during that 4 month Epics -> Velious time frame.

webrunner5
07-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Imagine all the work it took to make all the damn Maps back then. Somebody had to do a shit pot full of exploring and getting data from people. :eek: