PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't we calling the FBI? or police?

Bantam 1
07-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Our server is worth more than $500 dollars correct?

Federal crime....

Widan
07-18-2013, 01:23 AM
Sort of like how emulating Sony's game Everquest is not technically legal??

spoils
07-18-2013, 01:25 AM

Federal crime....

Save the trouble and send this thread straight to rnf...

Nirgon
07-18-2013, 01:25 AM
ddosing his server is illegal

he doesn't have to mention what it runs

(probably)

mreynert
07-18-2013, 01:43 AM
Sort of like how emulating Sony's game Everquest is not technically legal??

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4095

fastboy21
07-18-2013, 01:43 AM
the ddos is most definitely illegal and, in theory, it falls on the federal law enforcement to do something about it since it is happening across state lines.

the thing is that the FBI has priorities and when they do go after folks for DDOS it is when they are causing serious disruption (i.e. money damages). the reality is that we are a free emulator server...the FBI isn't going to do very much to help us, even if it were reported.

it would go into a giant file with very little man-power to tackle it.

Widan
07-18-2013, 01:47 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4095

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/431/view/forums/thread/44706

fastboy21
07-18-2013, 02:03 AM
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/431/view/forums/thread/44706

this is old news, and the topic of legality of emulators is something thats been discussed on p99 forever...

the truth is that it doesn't matter whether it is illegal or not; that's a strictly academic question for law school debate.

You can make a pretty good argument for whether or not emulators are legal. The answer, in the end, is only what the last judge has ruled on the matter when it gets dragged into court.

in the real world, all that matters is that SOE hasn't decided to take action against p99. if they did send a cease and desist letter to Rogean (like they did to the folks at Winter's Roar) I imagine that Rogean would pull the plug rather than mount a costly legal process against SOE.

The better question, imo, is why hasn't SOE taken any action...my answer is that they have no reason to hurt an online community that is keeping their franchise relatively popular in the online gaming community. EQ emulators aren't competing with live servers for players...all we are really doing is keeping EQ alive. This is only good for a company that plans on continuing the franchise long into the future.

Razdeline
07-18-2013, 03:38 AM
this is old news, and the topic of legality of emulators is something thats been discussed on p99 forever...

the truth is that it doesn't matter whether it is illegal or not; that's a strictly academic question for law school debate.

You can make a pretty good argument for whether or not emulators are legal. The answer, in the end, is only what the last judge has ruled on the matter when it gets dragged into court.

in the real world, all that matters is that SOE hasn't decided to take action against p99. if they did send a cease and desist letter to Rogean (like they did to the folks at Winter's Roar) I imagine that Rogean would pull the plug rather than mount a costly legal process against SOE.

The better question, imo, is why hasn't SOE taken any action...my answer is that they have no reason to hurt an online community that is keeping their franchise relatively popular in the online gaming community. EQ emulators aren't competing with live servers for players...all we are really doing is keeping EQ alive. This is only good for a company that plans on continuing the franchise long into the future.

They do send CaD letters, they go in the shredder.

Razdeline
07-18-2013, 03:39 AM
Common knowledge

fastboy21
07-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Is it? I've never heard that about p1999. Never heard it about eqclassic either.

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
07-18-2013, 08:15 AM
I feel like Winter's Roar got a CaD because they named it after "Spell: Winter's Roar"

Thats sort of like copyright infringement type thing? Naming a server after something thats in the game seems like it could be on that borderline. If anyone else has any info on why they got a CaD id love to know.

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
07-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Did some reading, looks like they were charging a monthly subscription in euros

t0lkien
07-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Did some reading, looks like they were charging a monthly subscription in euros

There you go, and now, lateral thinking leads to....

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
07-18-2013, 08:38 AM
your grammar is for shit. what are you trying to say?

t0lkien
07-18-2013, 08:45 AM
your grammar is for shit. what are you trying to say?

The grammar is perfect. If you're going to call someone on grammar you better be right, don't you think?

As for the meaning, it's not personally directed so no need to get titchy. It's a general comment for those who can join the dots.

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
07-18-2013, 08:52 AM
There you go lateral thinking leads to....

no, its not.

t0lkien
07-18-2013, 08:56 AM
What you just did is silly. I think you're misapplying some grade school grammar rule about commas and phrases?

But hey, it doesn't matter you don't understand it. Unruffle your feathers, it's not directed at you.

Wudan
07-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Federal crime....

because fcuk fbi

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
07-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Sometimes, there is another key on my keyboard, this key looks like a dot, sometimes, I read the internets, its called a period, apparently, what it does is separate things, but that, again, is just something I read on the internet.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3vjq63ZCw1qakwcoo1_500.jpg

Millburn
07-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Welcome to Project1999 where grown ass men throw temper tantrums like a toddler.

In regards to the whole FBI thing...I don't think it's really worth it to be honest. The volunteers we have working on our server have limited time as it is and to involve the legal process would only create an additional series of messes. This person DDoS'ing our server is most likely doing it to cause drama and stir reactions, he's also most likely renting the services. Let's just give it time and settle down on the whole thing and it will probably blow over soon enough.

t0lkien
07-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Both commas are for pauses (which is what commas are for). The first is an "Oxford comma", which I personally believe in because they make things read better. Read it aloud as it's written if it doesn't make sense to you on the page.

No need to be a douche. This forum already has so many. You aren't Red server are you?

Gadwen
07-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Call in the National Guard!

Or, call these guys

http://data.whicdn.com/images/17894794/hackers48lv_thumb.jpg

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
07-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Welcome to Project1999 where grown ass men throw temper tantrums like a toddler.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m89m0w1OMx1rtirpmo1_500.jpg