PDA

View Full Version : Loading up project 1999 tonight

Bantam 1
07-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Any suggestions? Any low levels groups starting off that I can join? What's needed class wise?

I was an enchanter on live back in the day.

Bundie
07-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Play what you enjoy playing to be honest :)

Suggestions, check out the various UI's posted on the forums, the high res textures.

Mesenkomaha
07-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Try again in a few days/week. Server is under constant denial of service attack leading to lag and death. Almost no way to play right now.

Bantam 1
07-16-2013, 01:22 AM
Try again in a few days/week. Server is under constant denial of service attack leading to lag and death. Almost no way to play right now.

Really? That's kinda heart breaking :(

Bundie
07-16-2013, 01:31 AM
It's not that bad, I have been playing all day and it's really only effected me 3-4 times, with only one death resulting.

Nyrod
07-16-2013, 02:50 AM
never have issues over on red, no one cares about us lolz

Tiggles
07-16-2013, 02:56 AM

He is being somewhat dramatic but yes the server is currently under some sort of attack its not so bad I'd still check it out

Lopretni
07-16-2013, 03:25 AM

I've had no problems due to the DDOS at all in the past three or so days, outside of the server going down. YMMV.

Bantam 1
07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Alright; I'll try this afternoon when I get home from work. I guess when I asked about class choice I was alluding to:

What's going to be needed in raids?
Ability to solo?
Not going to have a hard time finding a group?

Like I could definitely love playing a rogue, shaman, cleric, wizard, necromancer, mage....

But I don't want to be something that isn't needed in raids or groups. As a first character I think I want to avoid huge experience penalties (but an ogre SK does sound fun).

Kinda psyched at the moment :)

Raavak
07-16-2013, 11:50 AM
The lag wasn't so bad last night. Maybe if you were quading or bard kiting it would have sucked but otherwise it was livable.

Raid guilds especially recruit clerics, rogues, and wizards, I'd say. If you know EQ you know what solos and what doesn't and what exp groups like. Shaman is probably one of the best all around: solos, group, raids.

But its a long ride. Play what you will have a blast playing, because if you aren't so into your class the grind is going to burn you out. If you are good at your class any group or guild will want you, no matter what it is.

lecompte
07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Raids: Anything except for Shadow Knights or Paladins. Ranger's are okay DPS but far less desireable with the recent tracking nerf.
DPS: Rogue/Wizard
Tank: Warrior
Pulling: Monk
Healing: Cleric
all around value: bard, shaman, enc, mage, necromancer.

Ability to solo: I'm ordering the ones on your list from most able to least able -- and this is IN MY OPINION: Shaman, Necromancer, Wizard and Mage are equal, Cleric, Rogue. All of those are useful in raids. Usually only need one or two mages, shamans, necromancers but you can go gangbusters on Wizards and rogues and clerics and retain value. Wizards are hard to get groups on because of the inability to do sustained damage and the tendency of some wizards to afk for extended periods of times giving them a bad name.

Rhambuk
07-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I'd probably recomend a shaman, its a great first class to play. Great soloability groups always need them raids always need them, they arent to gear dependent but better gear goes miles!

You can sit and buff in ec tunnel to make cash, even a few plat donation for a sow on your first char will be a big help.

as much as i love iksar though i wouldnt recomend it, cant use jbb and exp penalty. the natural regen is nice but you can go troll and still use the jbb.

Thing to remember is the servers been out a while and a lot of groups expect to have super twinks, join a group as a rogue at level 15 with no epic and people will comment saying wtf no epic rog? they won't boot your or taunt you or anything but its almost expected.

in the end play what you want and try not to let the server drama get to you, these forums are built around it. and yes the server is being ddos'd right now but it will go away, just be patient )

dusty
07-16-2013, 12:03 PM
in the end play what you want and try not to let the server drama get to you, these forums are built around it. and yes the server is being ddos'd right now but it will go away, just be patient )

QFT

Hateplow
07-16-2013, 12:07 PM
never have issues over on red, no one cares about us lolz

I was just wondering this. Is the red server prone to these lag attacks as well? (I'd imagine so?)

Bantam 1
07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Alright thanks guys; lots of good info. Definitely thinking shaman or rogue.

PS - I don't trust much of what I remember 13 yrs ago since gaming was just different then.

lecompte
07-16-2013, 12:32 PM
I was just wondering this. Is the red server prone to these lag attacks as well? (I'd imagine so?)

Yes, red is going down from time to time too. When the login server and such goes down for blue, it is down for everyone across all the EQEMU servers. And when the login server is up, right off, oft times neither red or blue are present on the list.

Sirken
07-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Any suggestions? Any low levels groups starting off that I can join? What's needed class wise?

I was an enchanter on live back in the day.

welcome to project1999!

myriverse
07-16-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm up 2 whole levels in the past 3 days, having experienced very little bad effects of the DDoS.

Join and be welcome!

Lopretni
07-16-2013, 04:03 PM

I've flitted about on both servers and the only issues I've noticed are looting taking forever and a day every dozen corpses and the occasional loading screen lagging out for a bit.

Hateplow
07-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Wizards are hard to get groups on because of the inability to do sustained damage and the tendency of some wizards to afk for extended periods of times giving them a bad name.

Damn, the jig is up... I was finally going to start reading the entire Wheel of Time books.

Hateplow
07-16-2013, 04:08 PM
I've flitted about on both servers and the only issues I've noticed are looting taking forever and a day every dozen corpses and the occasional loading screen lagging out for a bit.

I have to say. The appeal is up on me joining the Red server. I'm just worried about griefers.

Lopretni
07-16-2013, 04:39 PM
I have to say. The appeal is up on me joining the Red server. I'm just worried about griefers.

Well, leveling up is faster, you can't complain about that. No idea on the griefing situation, but the player pool seems too small for you to have people camping lowbie zones or whatever. I would think attention would be wherever most people are farming or whatever. Even though it's a PvP server, it doesn't seem PvP focused. I mean, there are lowbies here and there, people farm and shit, there's just ganking going on the side?

What really appeals to me is hearing the whole TMO situation. If it were red server, everyone who didn't like TMO would just fuck them up and take the raids for themselves, is my understanding. I like the idea of being able to handle problems like that myself, rather than being butthurt over it all the time and trying to cook up conspiracy theories. TMO did 9/11.

EDIT: Not trying to be more tmosux circlejerk or whatever, just saying that on Red there's more to be done than circlejerk.

Bantam 1
07-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Wow that derailed quickly.

lecompte
07-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Hahaha, this thread became very amusing. You do have to worry about griefers after a certain level, that is some of the fun of red. And PS, there is a TMO on red that has all the top end content locked down and a guild right below them who mostly (near as I can tell) hunt people down in various zones. You'd think it wouldn't be an issue with 60 people but if 15 of them decide to coordinate and hunt people down it can become annoying quick. Doesn't take long for 15 people to do a quick check in and if someone is there in the target level range, call their friends.

You think that if we could attack TMO members while at a contested camp we would win? They would eat us alive with numbers and gear.

Hateplow
07-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Wow that derailed quickly.

We're still somewhat on topic.

Lopretni
07-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Hahaha, this thread became very amusing. You do have to worry about griefers after a certain level, that is some of the fun of red. And PS, there is a TMO on red that has all the top end content locked down and a guild right below them who mostly (near as I can tell) hunt people down in various zones. You'd think it wouldn't be an issue with 60 people but if 15 of them decide to coordinate and hunt people down it can become annoying quick. Doesn't take long for 15 people to do a quick check in and if someone is there in the target level range, call their friends.

You think that if we could attack TMO members while at a contested camp we would win? They would eat us alive with numbers and gear.

Oh, they have a monopoly on both servers? That's a shame.

Still, on red a possibility EXISTS no matter how slim it is.

lecompte
07-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Oh, they have a monopoly on both servers? That's a shame.

No, it isn't TMO on red, it is another guild. I meant "a TMO" as in a guild at the top that has most things locked down.

Lopretni
07-16-2013, 06:19 PM
No, it isn't TMO on red, it is another guild. I meant "a TMO" as in a guild at the top that has most things locked down.

Ahhh okay, I see what you meant now. I thought you meant that it was like a TMO sister guild or something.

Hateplow
07-16-2013, 06:49 PM

That is the allure. (and the exp bonus)

Lopretni
07-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Well, I have a human ranger named Kranos and a barbarian shaman named Wulfangist. Both lowbie as shit, but eh. If anyone else is new and giving Red a shot I wouldn't be against teaming up to slap skeleton shit.