PDA

View Full Version : Charming w/o hide?

skacat
07-15-2013, 01:03 PM
How much of a pain is charming without hide?

Worth rerolling a ERU ench for a DE ench? Lots of HE enchs out there, do they not charm solo often?

Same Q is relevant for druids too...

falkun
07-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Note that DE ENC hide caps out at like 50 skill, so you'll still see a fair number of failed hides. It matters for 2 reasons:
1) low levels when the mana cost of invisibility actually matters.
2) you get 8 spell gems. If you have to dedicate one to invis, you only have 7 left. Or you can get better at swapping gems and managing your spell book.

skacat
07-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Is there actually 8 different spells you'd need to have active to solo?

I found with my druid that I usually had spots to spare. First time messing around with an ench though

Bohab
07-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Goblin Gazughi Ring

lecompte
07-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Stun, Mez, Tash, Charm, Rune, Haste, Slow are the ones that I always have up. I cycle out C, Obscure, and nullify magic. I use nullify magic cause I like dispelling Haste too.

So ya.. Space is at a premium ;p

falkun
07-15-2013, 01:12 PM
My L13 enc uses:
1 - Choke
2 - Suffocating Sphere
3 - Color Flux
4 - Root
5 - Tashanian
6 - Mez
7 - Charm
8 - W/e

But Loraen's guide suggests a spell load-out I'll probably work towards. Only being able to cast 8 spells at a time is one of the big nuances of gameplay that makes EQ great. You don't notice it until you come back from WoW where I could literally keybind every single skill at the same time.

I'm sure I'll notice it more as I get runes, hastes, slows, etc. I know on my Bard I always have more songs I'd like to sing than I have song slots or that I can fit in my twist.

Malone88
07-15-2013, 01:15 PM
47 HE Enchanter here.

I use level1 spell Taper Ench to break charm most of the time.
Usually don't haste my pets when soloing.
Can't afford the Goblin ring.

Ele
07-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Goblin Gazughi Ring

Swish
07-15-2013, 01:20 PM
I use level1 spell Taper Ench to break charm most of the time.

That's all you need!

Menemas
07-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Its really not a big deal to sit down and swap in invis to break charm. Just put it somewhere easy in your spellbook.

boudicca
07-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Its really not a big deal to sit down and swap in invis to break charm. Just put it somewhere easy in your spellbook.

Thumbs up; this is what I do.

xCry0x
07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Is there actually 8 different spells you'd need to have active to solo?

I found with my druid that I usually had spots to spare. First time messing around with an ench though

Constantly swapping spells in and out, enchanter would be so much easier if you could have 15 spells up at once =P

Between mezzes, stuns, root, slow, charm, tash, bedlam, lull, etc etc you quickly run out of spots and have to decide what to flip in and out.

Ravager
07-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Even with the recent nerf, racial hide is handy whether you're using it to break charms or not. IMO there's only one choice for an enchanter and that's DE since you can always turn yourself into something else anyway. Plus DE enchanters can wear cool purple chainmail.

Reubin
07-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Constantly swapping spells in and out, enchanter would be so much easier if you could have 15 spells up at once =P

Between mezzes, stuns, root, slow, charm, tash, bedlam, lull, etc etc you quickly run out of spots and have to decide what to flip in and out.

Yep! But that is part of what makes playing an Enchanter in EQ so interesting. It takes a lot of patience and planning. You get good at spell swapping and organizing your book after a while. I consider it part of the challenge of the class...and the challenge is what makes me keep playing my Enchanter.

falkun
07-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Even with the recent nerf, racial hide is handy whether you're using it to break charms or not. IMO there's only one choice for an enchanter and that's DE since you can always turn yourself into something else anyway. Plus DE enchanters can wear cool purple chainmail.

HIE is better for racial armor, CHA instead of DEF's AGI.

xarzzardorn
07-15-2013, 06:14 PM
you really want a gazughi ring if you're not DE and the only reason to not have one if you are DE is laziness. other than that, taper enchantment is super cheap but you really dont want to have the spell gem cooldown if you dont need to

sulpher01
07-15-2013, 07:07 PM
you really want a gazughi ring if you're not DE and the only reason to not have one if you are DE is laziness. other than that, taper enchantment is super cheap but you really dont want to have the spell gem cooldown if you dont need to

^^ dead on... i consider my failed hides as bonus med time

Splorf22
07-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Well I think a lot of the usefulness of hiding is (well, more accurately was) simply to AFK. But between see invis mobs and undead a lot of that utility is gone. Really I should probably update my guide.

The biggest problem of breaking charm with a self cast of invisibility is that 2.25 second cooldown between spells.

Jerin
07-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Goblin Gazughi Ring

Gazughi Ring is animals only..its convenient but not worth the cash/camp imo

My 55 chanter did alot of charming. Hide, while sometimes annoying with its
failures , is kinda huge in my opinion.

DE race gives you hide...you can illusion to your favored race. The other races
give you nothing. Higher starting INT from an erudite is irrelevant with how easy it
is to have high INT/CHA without raid gear.

To answer your question, assuming your Erudite is not like 50..scrap him.

Menemas
07-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Any invis will break charm.

Reubin
07-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Gazughi Ring is animals only..its convenient but not worth the cash/camp imo

That doesn't matter for breaking charm though. Invis vs Animals will break charm on ANY mob. Just like Invis vs Undead or regular Invisibility.