PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a class wanted by groups.

Benedict
07-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Title says it all. I want to just walk into a zone, say LFG, and WHOA invites fly. Really a sociable person that doesn't like soloing and I can't get my friends to play the game because it "looks old." What class is just in demand right now?

Treefall
07-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Title says it all. I want to just walk into a zone, say LFG, and WHOA invites fly. Really a sociable person that doesn't like soloing and I can't get my friends to play the game because it "looks old." What class is just in demand right now?

Any tank.

Benedict
07-11-2013, 07:01 PM
But if you are broke, isn't tank a bad idea and people will hate you?

sdp00888
07-11-2013, 07:05 PM
If your wanting to play a class to instantly get groups a cleric is a great option. If you don't like the idea of a healer then enchanter is another solid choice

Treefall
07-11-2013, 07:06 PM

There was a time before twinks.

Join a guild, especially a leveling one. There will be a lot of hand-me-downs, and if you're a solid player, I'm sure people would love to help gear up a reliable tank.

thufir
07-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Any tank.

+1

My main is a recently created tank. High demand for them. Get random groups all the time, even in strange places. (Who goes to Permafrost on a lark and finds a group? This guy.) And while they are gear dependent, you can get some reasonable stuff for cheap if you don't mind spending time shopping and/or farming.

Cleric and enchanter are also good choices as groups almost always need one if they don't have one already.

You'll still have times where you can't get a group where you are, though. No class will *always* get a group.

Masq
07-11-2013, 08:02 PM
I have nightmares from playing my warrior sitting LFG all day.
I'd sugggest enchanter or something.

Benedict
07-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Ty all for the info! I'm thinking... Cleric

Tacitus
07-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Enchanter

Stinkum
07-11-2013, 08:11 PM

Depends.

If you are an SK or Paladin, you don't need good gear to hold aggro. So you'll be able to be a good tank, but the experience will be unbearably slow due to the hybrid penalty. Also, many people won't want to group with you because of shared penalty, especially at the high end.

If you go warrior, experience will be a lot better for you, but you won't be able to tank for shit until you get really good gear. Warrior rely on procs and DPS and even then they still have problems. A warrior that's broke is going to suck for all involved.

I suggest you make a Cleric.

Sarius
07-11-2013, 08:14 PM
The best thing would be to create a class that isn't solely group dependent. I would recommend enchanter, bard or shaman.

Lojik
07-11-2013, 09:09 PM
I've thought about this before. One would think that the best option would be cleric/tank/enchanter, as these are generally necessary to form groups, however these classes don't stack well, and it can be pretty cyclical as to whether you will get groups. Some days you might be the only cleric, other times there will be several LFG in one zone. I personally think a DPS class would be easiest class to get a group for, as a group will usually want 2 or 3 DPS per group. No one generally has objections to a rogue joining their group, as they do awesome sustained DPS and have a positive experience modifier (however slight.)
After DPS I would tend to say enchanter would be a great option...there seems to always be a need for them.

Hitpoint
07-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Enchanter

Dweed
07-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Enchanter. Group already has a cleric? Don't need 2 of them. Meanwhile a 2nd enchanter with charm pet is always great.

webrunner5
07-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Tank, Tank, Tank. Jesus, how many Shamans, Enchanters do we need??? :eek:

Gadwen
07-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Ranger

Dezik
07-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Rogue. No exp penalty, best dps, sexy as hell.

skacat
07-12-2013, 12:43 AM
what?

cleric. never know when the first one is gonna log.

never seen clerics sitting around LFG.

enchanter also a good answer.

tank is a terrible idea for avoiding sitting around waiting for other people. that pretty much sums up the tank life.

Karafa
07-12-2013, 12:58 AM
I feel a Cleric/Enchanter/Rogue will always be wanted for groups. I think the tank should generally be the individual trying to put together a group based on what he needs.

A1551
07-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Tank, Tank, Tank. Jesus, how many Shamans, Enchanters do we need??? :eek:

more..way more...and then some more (regarding enchanters..shamans are great but certainly not as useful to stack and quite abundant)

Tank, cleric all solid bets.

But if I were rerolling today there would only be one choice..and that choice would be enchanter. It's a class that all groups want, and they level really fast / efficiently and solo well on top of it. Every group wants one..every group that has half a clue is happy to have a second..and half your chanter population is off soloing or duoing somewhere uninterested in groups while the other half levels up so fast they end up flying by most other classes, leaving a frequent shortage.

On top of it all they're a blast to play. It's a very active class, and a lot of variation in what you do, and you can fill in for (almost) any roll.

Now the real key is to play what interests you..but ya know..if enchanter is on that list I'd 100% recommend going for it :D

Splorf22
07-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Play a necro! I get group invites all the time on Jurassic /sarcasm

SyanideGas
07-12-2013, 03:43 AM
Warrior/Ench/Cleric imo

Hobie819
07-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Interesting variation on this thread - what class is horrible for getting groups?

Obviously rangers are high on the list, but what else?

I don't like bards in groups. I know they can be great, but the majority of my experience with them have been persistent AFKs and not knowing how to group because they spent 50 levels swarm kiting.

Halfelfbard
07-12-2013, 07:16 AM
What what ever the hell u want dude.

Hobiewan, tho's are shitty bards. Jus wait til u group with a non lazy bard.

Pyrion
07-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Horrible: Wizard. A dps class that over time does less dps than the tank. Wizards really need an update. I would honestly prefer rangers to wizards.

RevengeofGio
07-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Depends.

If you are an SK or Paladin, you don't need good gear to hold aggro. So you'll be able to be a good tank, but the experience will be unbearably slow due to the hybrid penalty. Also, many people won't want to group with you because of shared penalty, especially at the high end.

If you go warrior, experience will be a lot better for you, but you won't be able to tank for shit until you get really good gear. Warrior rely on procs and DPS and even then they still have problems. A warrior that's broke is going to suck for all involved.

I suggest you make a Cleric.

Shared penalty???? Doesn't exist sir. IE 2 SK's grouping togetehr won't get LESS experience.... its all based on a character's total xp. So a warrior that's higher level than you is taking xp just like a hybrid would.

RevengeofGio
07-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Interesting variation on this thread - what class is horrible for getting groups?

Obviously rangers are high on the list, but what else?

I don't like bards in groups. I know they can be great, but the majority of my experience with them have been persistent AFKs and not knowing how to group because they spent 50 levels swarm kiting.

If you think you hate lazy bards..... Imagine knowing how to play a bard in a group (and wanting to group) and:

1) The bard the group has is AFK with the heal song going.....
2) People want to get multiple bards in group because "well you can play one song and he can play another...."

Basically I just got irritated a bit on the popularity aspect and people having no clue what bards actually do in a group. Anyone who actually thinks bards are bad for groups is playing with a bad bard.....

A good bard is like having 1.5 people instead of one... maybe even 2 for 1.

Hawala
07-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Horrible: Wizard. A dps class that over time does less dps than the tank. Wizards really need an update. I would honestly prefer rangers to wizards.

Wizards aren't a DPS class, they are a burst class.

feanan
07-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Yeah, they burst on one mob, and go afk the next 5.

pass!

xCry0x
07-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Everyone always says tank/cleric because every group need a tank and a cleric.

I would say rogue because every group needs A tank and A cleric.. and then a cc (ench/bard) and 3 dps. That means you can fill a need for half the group while cleric is a 1/6 chance.

That said, a good option is enchanter or shaman because they are both sought after for groups and they can also both solo later on. So if you cannot find a group you can still do something.

As a cleric, I lfg and more or less sit with a thumb up my ass because there is NOTHING i can do by myself. If you are an ench in seb you can go solo half the zone while lfg for a crypt/king group if you wanted to... hell if you are in crypt and your group falls apart you can just take over the camp by yourself.

Bill Tetley
07-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Any tank.

Till you're 50+ then it gets tougher to find groups as say... a Paladin.

RevengeofGio
07-12-2013, 11:40 AM

pass!

A good wizard isn't doing that.....in fact... I dunno even how a bad one does that without dying.

RevengeofGio
07-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Everyone always says tank/cleric because every group need a tank and a cleric.

I would say rogue because every group needs A tank and A cleric.. and then a cc (ench/bard) and 3 dps. That means you can fill a need for half the group while cleric is a 1/6 chance.
That said, a good option is enchanter or shaman because they are both sought after for groups and they can also both solo later on. So if you cannot find a group you can still do something.

As a cleric, I lfg and more or less sit with a thumb up my ass because there is NOTHING i can do by myself. If you are an ench in seb you can go solo half the zone while lfg for a crypt/king group if you wanted to... hell if you are in crypt and your group falls apart you can just take over the camp by yourself.

Just bolded the bad logic (the rest is good).... because there's more rogues than clerics and a llot more dps classes.

Treefall
07-12-2013, 12:37 PM

pass!

Are they really that inefficient?

They must have moderate DPS nukes with lower dps that they can cast once a fight to keep them damn close to a rogue?

I could see if they're using their biggest nuke exclusively that they'd be OOM constantly.

Then again, I've seen a Wizard solo take an even con (in his late 20's) from like 95% to 15-20% in one nuke, so I dunno...definitely a great solo class, but this thread isn't about that. ;)

Lojik
07-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Just bolded the bad logic (the rest is good).... because there's more rogues than clerics and a llot more dps classes.

There are also other healing classes that can replace a cleric in many situations, especially if there is an enchanter or bard, it's just that the cleric is the best healing class... kinda like how rogue is the best dps class. BTW, are there really more rogues than clerics?

Shaman is great class that can solo/duo/group great at higher levels, but they are sort of gimp at low levels, and there are so many on this server and they don't stack well in groups.

If OP is really keen on getting a traditional group easily I'd encourage either enc or rog... unless someone who plays those classes wants to tell us how hard it is to get groups.

Lojik
07-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Are they really that inefficient?

They must have moderate DPS nukes with lower dps that they can cast once a fight to keep them damn close to a rogue?

I could see if they're using their biggest nuke exclusively that they'd be OOM constantly.

Then again, I've seen a Wizard solo take an even con (in his late 20's) from like 95% to 15-20% in one nuke, so I dunno...definitely a great solo class, but this thread isn't about that. ;)

People hate on wizards a lot and only some of it is deserved. They are quite bad before level 29, and they are not optimal for traditional experience groups...but frankly experience in a traditional group for a wizard is awful compared to what they get solo or in an aoe group, and they are invaluable to boss mobs in kunark. In theory there are several other classes that can solo faster than a wizard, but the ease of movement to exp spots and to get c2 make them an awesome solo class post 29

Hawala
07-12-2013, 12:56 PM
People hate on wizards a lot and only some of it is deserved. They are quite bad before level 29, and they are not optimal for traditional experience groups...but frankly experience in a traditional group for a wizard is awful compared to what they get solo or in an aoe group, and they are invaluable to boss mobs in kunark. In theory there are several other classes that can solo faster than a wizard, but the ease of movement to exp spots and to get c2 make them an awesome solo class post 29

Hate on wizards all you want, if you want XP in the planes, get into the wizard group :cool:

Vaildez
07-12-2013, 01:22 PM
As a Shaman I have had much less trouble finding a group than as my Enchanter. Also would have to imagine Monk would be a good option since it can fill DPS or Tank in some groups.

Swish
07-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Clerics are great, you'll never struggle for a group but if you dare to take off anon/roleplay in EC you'll have a bunch of L12s wanting you to go to Erud's Crossing to rez them for 10pp. Be careful with that ;)

Also the cleric epic is a MUST, and Ragefire is a horrible bottleneck used for big plat hoarding by TMO and pals... and not an experience I want to do again, but gather friends and camp the spawn, don't buy the MQ.

Rogues are underplayed as well, and again you can be an awesome rogue without buying the epic MQ.

Overall you'll stick at a class you enjoy more than one that feels like a chore...

Staring at health bars not for you? Don't play a cleric.
Don't like having to move around each fight? Don't play a tank/monk/rogue.
Hate feeling stressed? Don't play an enchanter (particularly if you know how to pull and can't bear to see a monk fail a lot and bringing 7 to the camp as a result).
Have short amounts of play time and don't always want to group? Play a necro! :)

Pringles
07-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Ench or Cleric will get groups nearly instantly at higher level. Unfortunately, at lower levels, life is hell for an ench.... but you can just solo through that bit.

runlvlzero
07-12-2013, 04:11 PM
mentality here is if u want to play a tank, put the work in to gear it, otherwise you are disliked

so Cleric, Druid, Enchanter All three can CC reliably, the cleric is uber heals, and the enchanter can pull some nice tricks with charm and pulling

A monk is also a viable option, but only if you know how to use it. Too many monks don't know how to play their class to the fullest extent and just stand around kicking mobs and AFK FD... play your monk and people will love you though.

Splorf22
07-12-2013, 05:27 PM
If you are an ench in seb you can go solo half the zone

Half? Come on Halmir, give me some credit

runlvlzero
07-12-2013, 06:03 PM

pass!

Wizards kill healer mobs, they stun, they root.

They are not supposed to be unloading mana on that light blue or yellow con melee that just showed up.