PDA

View Full Version : Spells: Fear (again)

Nagash
07-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I know this bug has been reported several time but I still experience the same problem. In a nutshell, fear doesn't work. I cast it, have the message "Your ennemy looks very affraid" (or something like that) but nothing happens, the mob just bee lines towards me.
It looks like some people reported it as working properly for them although everytime I saw such a report, it was from a high level necro so I wonder if they were refering to fear or to some upgrades we got later on. I did the proper installation of the game, including the new spell files so it really puzzles me. In case it has anything to do with it, I run on Titanium.
Has anyone got any idea how to get it to work? I can't fear kite, can't kite (my snare is not powerfull enough to offset the speed boost mobs have on the server and pet tanking is the only solution I have which is ok at low level but will become a problem soon.
Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Nagash

Nagash
07-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I did a fresh re-installation of the game, went through the modif as per Rogean's post. This sorted my druid who couldn't previously write SoW in his spellbook so this confirms I have the correct spell file. However fear still has no effect for my necro :( Any idea? Thanks.

Kind regards,

Nagash

mmiles8
07-10-2010, 04:38 PM
What are you trying to fear? Some mobs (more to do with the terrain than the mobs)have been reported as having some issues with fear.

Nagash
07-10-2010, 04:51 PM
At the moment I'm in Toxx any the same thing happens with every mob I try to fear, even green stuff (kobolds, spiders, scarabs, skeltons...).

Skope
07-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I know that Z-axis can cause an issue with fears. When i'm floating and a mob attacks me, even though it doesn't show that it's moved up in Z-axis, it has, and the change in height makes the mob immune to fear. I generally have to wait a couple of seconds and cast it again for it to stick.

The only other issue i've seen with fear is that when a mob makes a sharp 180degree turn will attack a pet or player within range only for the first swing, then continue on it's feared way.

mmiles8
07-10-2010, 05:04 PM
brt

Nagash
07-10-2010, 05:08 PM
The "funny" bit is that fear acts like an aggro spell. Even if cast nothing, let my pet do all the damage to say 50% hp of the mob, as soon as I cast fear and have the message "whatever looks very affraid" the mob completely forgets my pet and bee lines on me. I haven't been able to try this in group yet (not many people in Toxx). The other strange stuff is that I've seen fear working properly yesterday (I was playing my druid and was grouped with a level 17 necro). There' sreally something odd here.

Kind regards,

Nagash

mmiles8
07-10-2010, 05:29 PM
We're gettng somewhere with this.

I watched him use his fear spell, and the mobs shot for him exactly as described. The spells were landing "soandso looks very afraid".
I couldn't find anyone else in the zone who could cast fear, so I ported him to BB.
The mobs in BB feared appropriately.
Ported back to Tox. Same issue.
It occured anywhere, whether the mob was at the same elevation or different, in any part of the zone, didn't seem to be a Z axis issue.

Can I get someone else to come test fear in Tox?
Send Anleus a tell in game. Will port you there and back.

Nagash
07-11-2010, 07:17 AM
As anleus said, we triedin Toxx and the mobs bee line on me, tried in BB (and since then EC and WC) and it worked fine. I wonder if there would be a problem with the coding of Toxx.

However, when trying again, the thing about auto aggro stealing didn't happen all the time so it must have been a misperception of me. Please ignore this erronated part of my report, sorry about that.

Kind regards,

Nagash

guineapig
07-12-2010, 03:30 PM
This is very interesting.

Did anyone else test fear in Tox yet?

mmiles8
07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Nope. Still waiting

Kornaki
07-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I had this same problem in Toxxulia forest about two weeks ago. Hitting giant widows, snakes, skeletons, kobolds, it didn't work. I asked some necros online if they had any issues with it and they said no, and one suggested it might have something to do with my spell files (it didn't. I tried re-downloading them). At any rate I ended up deleting the guy out of frustration

guineapig
07-12-2010, 03:45 PM
I can take my druid there real quick when I get home from work. Just fear a wolf and see what happens.

mmiles8
07-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah I was hoping to test the panic animal line and blind as well, but wanted to compare "Fear" to "Fear" and see if the other spells in the line also had the same results (Invoke fear, Inspire fear, etc)

guineapig
07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
At the very least a kindly druid who is at home reading the forums could port over there real quick.

Chances are if regular fear and any druid fear are borked, all the other fear spells will be as well.

You could also try intimidation (bard ability... possibly other melee classes as well).
If you can get me a ride, I can test it on my bard later.

doacleric
07-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Pretty sure I know what the problem is here. I'll take a look into it this week.

mmiles8
07-12-2010, 04:37 PM
If you can get me a ride

Fo sho

Ok, tested panic animal. Same behavior as described with fear. Thanks for the reminder that snakes are animals :P

When I tested blind, the mobs held perfectly still until it wore off.

guineapig
07-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Guess I won't be needed after all.

I'm shocked that this is the first time this has been posted by anyone since the server launched. I know people have been soloing guards in Tox forever.

I can see blind never having been tested but not a single fear kite since launch?

mmiles8
07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I imagine it's been dismissed as user error since it usually comes with other newbie questions or problems. One poster just gave up on the class, the OP figured it was something on his end since he was also having spell file issues in another thread. Others may have just chalked it up to classic or decided the mana cost of fear was too expensive or that tox was a horrible place to level and hopped the ship straight for qeynos.

I think the guards you're referring to are inside the Paineel city proper though, which is a different zone. IIRC the 2 gate guards in front of every city are mega buff so newbies had someone to run to (on live at least, haven't checked here).

I'm just glad he was persistent in asking for help with it.

Haynar
07-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Pretty sure I know what the problem is here. I'll take a look into it this week.
Just to save you time, I already put a fix together for fixing tox and pushed to SVN. There were issues with the .map and fear worked fine after I built a new one.

Are there any other zones that fear is not working in? The problem in tox was a zone specific bug. So any other zone fixes would also be zone specific.

Haynar

guineapig
07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks Haynar!

Didn't effect me persay but it's nice to see you on top of things. :)

Haynar
07-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks Haynar!

Didn't effect me persay but it's nice to see you on top of things. :)
There are so many "things" it really is near impossible to keep up.

This just seemed such an isolated case, and because I had been working on understanding the fear code lately, I had a real good idea where to check. So it turned out to be easy.

Haynar

doacleric
07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Just to save you time, I already put a fix together for fixing tox and pushed to SVN. There were issues with the .map and fear worked fine after I built a new one.

Are there any other zones that fear is not working in? The problem in tox was a zone specific bug. So any other zone fixes would also be zone specific.

Haynar

Thanks Haynar. I had a feeling it was either with the map or path files =)

Nagash
07-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Hi folks,

I don't live in Toxx anymore but thank oyu for by fellow enchanters and necromancers to come :)

Kind regards,

Nagash

mmiles8
08-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Are there any other zones that fear is not working in?
Haynar

Lavastorm, I posted it in another thread but even I can't remember where, so I figured I'd add it to this one as well.