PDA

View Full Version : Best class to duo with a ranger?

iRFNA
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
My friend and I were doing ranger/cleric, but I'm having doubts. The lack of haste and slow will probably be brutal at later levels, right?

What would be a good duo partner with ranger? This is assuming that there will definitely be a ranger in the duo. My friend already has a shaman, so that's probably not an option.

fuark
07-10-2013, 09:32 PM
It depends on what you want to do really. Do you just want the best duo to exp with?

If so, it's hard to beat ranger plus rogue. Ranger just chain snares and bow kites while the rogue backstabs the hell out of the mob. It's very efficient exp. It's even better at 45 because you get manafree snare from Tolan's gloves, and Tolan's bracer so you don't have to keep running back to town for arrows. It plays to the abilities of a ranger because you won't be spending time healing or tanking.

Ranger and SK/Necro work. Ranger and Enchanter works. Ranger and any healer works to some degree, though not as optimally as a monk obviously.

Tecmos Deception
07-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Rangers can get slow proc (swarmcaller or epic) and clicky spell haste (sky cloak) at high end. You can do just fine without them when you are getting CHed and pulling carefully and whatnot.

Ephirith
07-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Shaman hands down, game over, no discussion, 100% absolutely positively best and most versatile duo choice for a ranger through most levels.

Any other choice is either wholly inferior or highly situational, relegating the duo to limited situations, such as outdoors or fear/agro-kiting. Some of the fastest duo xp my shaman got with a melee was with a very twinked ranger who knew what he was doing. Ranger/rogue is going to limit the things you can do more than ranger/cleric, and ranger/rogue is inferior to ranger/enchanter. Harmony is an amazing asset and a ranger who is good with roots is <3

If we are talking 50+, I would say the second choice behind a shaman would be an enchanter simply because you can sit on your ass and help the enchanter root and charm kill, maybe spot heal, and you'll probably xp faster than many duos just because enchanters can be such an outrageously OP class. You can also kite with the enchanter, but as you get into the 50's good outdoor spots are hard to come by. In a more conventional setting your longevity with enchanter slows, clarity, and charm dps actually isn't too bad.

The Situation
07-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Enchanter is great duo with ranger. Can still fear/kite. Ranger can heal/regen enchanter after charm breaks. SoWs for all, etc.

Cords
07-11-2013, 07:54 AM
I think another class to bring into this discussion is bards. Even from low levels you start to gain good group buffs. By level 6 you already have Selo's run song, and Hymn heal song. You can fear kite, backwards kite or swarm kite. Bards also get slow, snare, mez, fear, invisibility, healing, mana regen, dots dots and more dots, and target based damage.

That all said, Shaman would be the first choice, because with Torpor and Cannibalize IV the shaman can't be beat. Plus real heals, buffs galore, dots, slow, and debuffs.

webrunner5
07-11-2013, 07:56 AM
I know I knock Rangers a lot on here. And I even have one. But like has been said, a Good Ranger and a Good Enchanter, Shaman Duo is pretty damn uber crap XP wise. They end up being great at CC and that is what really counts in this game when you think about it.

If you can single pull anything in the game you can pretty much kill anything in the game. That is what makes Enchanters so damn OP on here, CC. A Ranger has Harmony which is irreistable Outdoors. Pretty damn handy if he knows how to pull. Harmony, Snare pull, Root on a add is really OP when you think about it. And a Ranger can do as much if not more DPS as a Warrior can on here. Maybe not at 55+ but damn close even then. And god knows they get agro easy as hell on here. Why they get Taunt is beyond me?? Well played with a Fungi, Ikky BP, and good haste they are pretty damn good. They are not going to be the Tank in a Raid group don't get me wrong lol. :eek: But I bet when the Hybrid penalty comes off you will see a hell of a lot more Rangers on here.

Lemiddar
07-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Another Ranger. Break the mold.

(My actual suggestion is Necro if you'd be playing mostly outdoor zones, or have confidence in the skill levels of both parties involved.)

webrunner5
07-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Another Ranger. Break the mold.

(My actual suggestion is Necro if you'd be playing mostly outdoor zones, or have confidence in the skill levels of both parties involved.)

Yeah, nice idea. I can see that happening. :D

Lemiddar
07-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Yeah, nice idea. I can see that happening. :D

Which one? Ranger/Ranger? I'd try to picture it but we don't keep a Kleenex box in this room.

Reubin
07-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Enchanter is great duo with ranger. Can still fear/kite. Ranger can heal/regen enchanter after charm breaks. SoWs for all, etc.

I duoed a lot with an Enchanter on live. It was a fairly good combo and is probably the biggest reason I play an Enchanter here. It will be mana intensive for the Ranger as they will have to cover all healing, but Fear kiting (especially with the Enchanter charming) would be a good way to level. Really Enchanters can duo with just about anyone given the right situation. I still duo my Enchanter with a Ranger here every once in a while and I always have a good time. A well played Ranger is always welcome with me.

That said, Shaman really is the best bet for a Ranger's partner. Cleric will work too, especially if the Ranger gets his hands on a Swarmcaller for slows. I double boxed a Cleric/Ranger from about 53-65 on Live occasionally adding in others for groups. It's a fairly decent start to a group, especially outdoors.

Zapatos
07-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Ranger/cleric is a pretty fun duo at the high end if the ranger has epic + sky cloak and the cleric has mark of karn... but by no means is it a 'powerful' duo.

Another fun duo is ranger/bard, but on this server the combined exp penalty will make you want to rip your eyes out after a certain point.

Ele
07-11-2013, 11:20 AM
cleric to rez

SCB
07-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Another fun duo is ranger/bard, but on this server the combined exp penalty will make you want to rip your eyes out after a certain point.

http://wiki.project1999.org/Game_Mechanics#Race.2FClass_Experience_Penalties

Their penalties don't combine in any way, and ranger/bard will level at a similar rate, so it's not a bad option if it can fight well.

Lagaidh
07-11-2013, 03:32 PM
If you want a challenge, pair up with a paladin.

I've said many times on this forum, in Live, my dwarf paladin, and a half elf ranger named Toraque pulled off all sorts of crazy things.

It was the greatest complement we ever got one day when a DL group mate told us we squeezed everything out of our toons.

It's not easy, and the min-maxers would frown on the efficiency, but damn it was fun.

Here on p99 I pair my pally with my wife's druid. It's sorta ranger-y.