PDA

View Full Version : If you think you are cool on Blue

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Try out red see how actually shitty blue is(along with how shitty you are at your class)

toddfx
06-27-2013, 11:06 AM
http://www.grasshoppercustompaint.com/misc/BanHim.jpg

Calabee
06-27-2013, 11:08 AM
yeah because a whole 65 population server is much better

lawl

t0lkien
06-27-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't remember PVPers being this transparently desperate to lure fodder to their servers before?

TarukShmaruk
06-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Rallos Zek 1999-2004 here. No thanks.

fadetree
06-27-2013, 11:10 AM
I are are my class?

Well, anyways, you make a concise and thoughtful argument there, sparky. This post oughta bring 'em over in droves.

gprater
Is this an attempt to get people to come to red? wrong approach i think..and I play on red sometimes when the /ooc isn't ridiculous. That's what keeps me away. Some of the people and the constant hate/jealousy of what others have. Could be a great server and more than half of those there seem like great folks. But hey, at least you dont see "are so mad bro?" anymore :)

Guttzs
this is a PSA to those of you on blue who think you are hot shit.

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't remember PVPers being this transparently desperate to lure fodder to their servers before?

your avatar is fucking ugly and you probably suck. PROBABLY

Ambrotos
06-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Orsk doing it big like most people on red. Make many forum accounts, posts as troll. He learned well.

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Orsk doing it big like most people on red. Make many forum accounts, posts as troll. He learned well.

Actually i have two forum accounts, one from blue, this is my new one from red. You are a great guide Ambrotos but blue blood is weak.

Gadwen
06-27-2013, 11:32 AM
This thread is so great that I'm rolling on Red right now.

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 11:37 AM
This thread is so great that I'm rolling on Red right now.

finally someone with sarcasm coming to red

diplo
06-27-2013, 11:44 AM
i think the obvious solution is a cross-server BOTB.

Raavak
06-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Wow, before reading this thread I had no intention of trying Red! Thanks for posting!

Still have no interest. Or even less, if that's possible.

t0lkien
06-27-2013, 11:48 AM
your avatar is fucking ugly and you probably suck. PROBABLY

Yep. This is why I'd never roll red. They're all class over there.

big league chew
06-27-2013, 12:02 PM

this + loser gets deleted
GMs, make it happen

fuark
06-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Red is actually very fun and most of the people on the server are pretty cool. The interactions you have with people are different from blue because being an asshole brings more consequences.

Just gotta make liberal use of ignore for the people who like spamming ooc and think EQ PVP is literally only about getting killshots.

Rhambuk
06-27-2013, 12:15 PM
this is a PSA to those of you on blue who think you are hot shit.

Reds no secret, if people wanted to theyd play there but guess what? only about 50 people do and the 10 "psa" threads week apparently havent done shit to help lure blues over.

God these threads get annoying.

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Reds no secret, if people wanted to theyd play there but guess what? only about 50 people do and the 10 "psa" threads week apparently havent done shit to help lure blues over.

God these threads get annoying.

then dont reply to them or hush mouf

Rezonation
06-27-2013, 12:17 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/508/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

TarukShmaruk
06-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Btw we weren't like this on RZ for the most part. Sure we were a little smug but that's just because we were bitter we couldn't wear our VS legs or Trak BP anywhere safely and we couldn't use aoe mez.

By the way, holy shit aoe mez when leveling is insane.

Rain spells still suck though.

Verenity
06-27-2013, 12:31 PM
The red server was in fact created to lure 75% of the trolls away from the blue server. It was a huge success.

Rhambuk
06-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Poor red, it's gonna be sad to see all of you guys running back to blue once it "officially" dies, we all know its dead already were just waiting for you to catch on.

Messianic
06-27-2013, 01:33 PM
The red server was in fact created to lure 75% of the vz-tz trash away from the blue server. It was a huge success.

Barkingturtle
06-27-2013, 01:38 PM
My shit is so hot it burns yo momma's tits.

WHAT NOW RED?!

Rhambuk
06-27-2013, 01:48 PM
My shit is so hot it burns yo momma's tits.

Cleveland Steamer?

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Poor red, it's gonna be sad to see all of you guys running back to blue once it "officially" dies, we all know its dead already were just waiting for you to catch on.

i was actually on blue and decided to give red a try. If you play eq for server population numbers i am surprised.

webrunner5
06-27-2013, 03:07 PM
i was actually on blue and decided to give red a try. If you play eq for server population numbers i am surprised.

Lets see. Probably 12 to 13 years old. Poops in a sock, lives in a basement, has Miley for a screen saver, lowest IQ in his class, IF he even goes to school. Probably missing something I am sure. I bet I am close though. :D:D

runlvlzero
06-27-2013, 03:23 PM
These people don't even know their history about the thumbs up and thumbs down thing from Ceasar, stop trying to convert them to a better way of life.

There's no way you can enforce enlightenment on the ignorant. They will rally under TMO and *MT kingpings until the sun implodes thinking they are freer then the fattest cow in the lushest pasture.

Missing the rest of the world for what it is.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/games/a/thumbsup.htm Ban him should be thumbs up, jabbing towards the heart. Fool.

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Talk shit all you want about red if you played as a carebear from day one there probably is no hope fo ryou, the game takes on an added mechanic you cant know or be ready for at all times, its PVP and its not for everyone i get it. Dont knock it till you have tried it.

Reguiy
06-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Talk shit all you want about red if you played as a carebear from day one there probably is no hope fo ryou, the game takes on an added mechanic you cant know or be ready for at all times, its PVP and its not for everyone i get it. Dont knock it till you have tried it.

Hey man. I'm all down for pvp, and Berserk. But if you're being condescending I wouldn't tell people not to knock that which you like. Since that's exactly what you're doing.

Rhambuk
06-27-2013, 05:18 PM
if you're being condescending I wouldn't tell people not to knock that which you like. Since that's exactly what you're doing.

and they wonder why blue is so hostile towards these types of posts :rolleyes:

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Hey man. I'm all down for pvp, and Berserk. But if you're being condescending I wouldn't tell people not to knock that which you like. Since that's exactly what you're doing.

Im looking for people who want a challenge and a reason to try it out, come prove to yourself about red99 before talking shit about the numbers and thats it.

I believe people are afraid to try it because they have invested so muc into blue, guess what, games are supposed to be fun and red99 is great and refreshing.

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 05:52 PM
and they wonder why blue is so hostile towards these types of posts :rolleyes:

blue can be hostile allt hey want come to red99 and show what you got or just dont come because your afraid of having a good time

t0lkien
06-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Red is low on population because PvP is full of grandstanding vindictive asshats and there aren't enough people to act as fodder for their Lord of the Flies domination fantasies, so they come to blue forums to proselyte but can't stop from being grandstanding vindictive asshats, thereby ensuring no-one capitulates.

The irony is delicious.

Splorf22
06-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Red is low on population because PvP is full of grandstanding vindictive asshats and there aren't enough people to act as fodder for their Lord of the Flies domination fantasies, so they come to blue forums to proselyte but can't stop from being grandstanding vindictive asshats, thereby ensuring no-one capitulates.

The irony is delicious.

I think you are part right. But when I played on Red I found that most people were pretty reasonable. In fact in a lot of ways people are nicer although there are certainly a lot of griefers who get off on causing other people pain.

What you have to understand is that red is serious fucking business - there are no casuals on red. I mean take the level of competition we have on Blue between TMO/FE (well had this winter) and turn it up a notch with PVP and you get the average red player. Now put yourself into the mind of this average red player: you put a lot of effort into "winning EQ" on P1999 PVP. You feel superior to blue because a) red is simply harder. Doing anything is more difficult when there are people out to kill you at all times and b) red players pvp for their pixels rather than poopsock/batphone. Unfortunately, there are 10 times as many players on blue and on average they think your server is shit. This is like a red hot poker driven into your body. You work so hard and you know their server is "carebear" and why the fuck aren't they looking up to you? If only they would try red they would realize it was harder and better and you would get the respect you deserve.

And thats why we get this continuous stream of "come to red so i can shit on your face you pathetic bluebie" type posts, followed by the blue players hitting the poor poster below the belt with "i don't want to play on your 65 man server" followed by the red players vomiting rage onto the thread and crying themselves to sleep at night.

t0lkien
06-27-2013, 06:53 PM
I think you are part right. But when I played on Red I found that most people were pretty reasonable. In fact in a lot of ways people are nicer although there are certainly a lot of griefers who get off on causing other people pain.

What you have to understand is that red is serious fucking business - there are no casuals on red. I mean take the level of competition we have on Blue between TMO/FE (well had this winter) and turn it up a notch with PVP and you get the average red player. Now put yourself into the mind of this average red player: you put a lot of effort into "winning EQ" on P1999 PVP. You feel superior to blue because a) red is simply harder. Doing anything is more difficult when there are people out to kill you at all times and b) red players pvp for their pixels rather than poopsock/batphone. Unfortunately, there are 10 times as many players on blue and on average they think your server is shit. This is like a red hot poker driven into your body. You work so hard and you know their server is "carebear" and why the fuck aren't they looking up to you? If only they would try red they would realize it was harder and better and you would get the respect you deserve.

And thats why we get this continuous stream of "come to red so i can shit on your face you pathetic bluebie" type posts, followed by the blue players hitting the poor poster below the belt with "i don't want to play on your 65 man server" followed by the red players vomiting rage onto the thread and crying themselves to sleep at night.

There's something you are missing - no-one cares except you guys. We don't care that you think you're superior. That's the sort of attitude that makes us glad the red server exists to lure you all away from blue (nice people on red notwithstanding).

This obsession you guys have with being respected or having people acknowledge you is textbook narcissism. It's embarrassing actually. Let it go.

Pint
06-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Splorf22
06-27-2013, 07:01 PM
I find your misreading of my post almost as funny as the OP :D

t0lkien
06-27-2013, 07:03 PM
I find your misreading of my post almost as funny as the OP :D

No I got it. I used the generic "you". Probably not clear though - I don't recommend posting with a headache.

Bazia
06-27-2013, 07:12 PM
if the random troll OP represents all of red then im going to have Relapsee represent all of blue

heartbrand
06-27-2013, 07:20 PM
I like red because I can kill people who are trying to do content I want to do, and I can do full VP clears and shit with 25-30 people instead of 50+ people, many of whom I prolly wouldn't even know by name. If you're a hardcore raider type player I can't for the life of me understand why you would ever want to play on blue where you literally can't do anything to get a raid mob other than hope you auto attack it first. That sounds infuriating to me. I like knowing my fate is in my own hands, etc. However, if you're more of a casual type player red is absolutely not the place for you.

edit: Also your pixels actually matter on red because you can turn around and use them in PVP. On blue your pixels are meaningless because the mob dies in .5 seconds and it doesn't matter how much hp you have or don't [because eq pve with the numbers you guys raid with is trivial]

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 07:53 PM
There's something you are missing - no-one cares except you guys. We don't care that you think you're superior. That's the sort of attitude that makes us glad the red server exists to lure you all away from blue (nice people on red notwithstanding).

This obsession you guys have with being respected or having people acknowledge you is textbook narcissism. It's embarrassing actually. Let it go.

Sounds like you are talking about yourself

Sarius
06-27-2013, 08:00 PM
I like red because I can kill people who are trying to do content I want to do, and I can do full VP clears and shit with 25-30 people instead of 50+ people, many of whom I prolly wouldn't even know by name. If you're a hardcore raider type player I can't for the life of me understand why you would ever want to play on blue where you literally can't do anything to get a raid mob other than hope you auto attack it first. That sounds infuriating to me. I like knowing my fate is in my own hands, etc. However, if you're more of a casual type player red is absolutely not the place for you.

edit: Also your pixels actually matter on red because you can turn around and use them in PVP. On blue your pixels are meaningless because the mob dies in .5 seconds and it doesn't matter how much hp you have or don't [because eq pve with the numbers you guys raid with is trivial]

You probably are forced to do VP with 25-30 because that is the total number lvl 60 toons on at peak hours

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 08:03 PM
You probably are forced to do VP with 25-30 because that is the total number lvl 60 toons on at peak hours

although peak hours compared to blue is low there is about 125+ actually

skacat
06-27-2013, 09:23 PM
merge servers/new server
pvp flag auto on at 60 (50?)
turning on pvp flag (via tome) gives you red xp mod
duels auto accepted after 60s or 5m or some similar interval so you can camp out/zone.
prob just coin loot, no xp loss.

Guttzs
06-27-2013, 11:14 PM
merge servers/new server
pvp flag auto on at 60 (50?)
turning on pvp flag (via tome) gives you red xp mod
duels auto accepted after 60s or 5m or some similar interval so you can camp out/zone.
prob just coin loot, no xp loss.

There would be such a tantrum thrown if blue ever had pvp in it because everyone wants to sit back and relax knowing that the only fight others can give them is on the forums and there is no real competition.

boudicca
06-28-2013, 01:51 AM

http://i.imgur.com/sySnefP.gif :D

Clark
06-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Rallos Zek 1999-2004 here. No thanks.

Swish
06-28-2013, 03:52 AM
although peak hours compared to blue is low there is about 125+ actually

Red isn't allowed to thrive, if the population threatens to go past 200 again they'll nerf up the XP until peak population drops back to under 150.

Clark
06-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Red isn't allowed to thrive, if the population threatens to go past 200 again they'll nerf up the XP until peak population drops back to under 150.

lol

Sarius
06-28-2013, 04:52 AM
If red is so great, go back to it and stop posting on blue forums. You are not gonna convince anybody to go to your lame, douchebag filled server. If people wanted to play red, they would be there.

TxRanjahs
06-28-2013, 04:52 AM
I would play and roll people on red ...population just too low to be enjoyable imo

coki
06-28-2013, 05:37 AM
Did VZ 1999-2004/5 and don't really care for eq pvp anymore, just want my pixels and false sense of accomplishment thanks

Faerie
06-28-2013, 05:46 AM
I'm pretty sure this thread was made to further divide the bluebies and the rest of us, and I think it worked :P

Rhambuk
06-28-2013, 07:38 AM
I like red because I can kill people who are trying to do content I want to do

Never had problems with you HB and not directed towards you just the comment but,

This is why I don't do red, this attitude is just asshole. I'm not as hardcore as I used to be I don't have infinite hours to camp an item, let alone trying fight off anyone else who wants it.

Also I really have no interest to play with people that have the mindset "you have something I want, im going to kill you to take it"

Just a dick attitude that all reds seem to share, the only reason I can see people making these posts are there aren't enough players in game to be an asshole to so they come and taunt blue to try and get us annoyed enough to go screw with them. No Thanks.

I am glad red exists so these types of players are off of our server. it was bad enough having people just come up and sit in your camp saying its mine now because they want it.

little kiddie mind set, mine mine mine! I want it I want it I want it!

go back to your red sandbox we don't want you here.

Messianic
06-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Guys my pixels are better than your pixels because I use my pixels differently clearly i'm cooler than you

heartbrand
06-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Never had problems with you HB and not directed towards you just the comment but,

This is why I don't do red, this attitude is just asshole. I'm not as hardcore as I used to be I don't have infinite hours to camp an item, let alone trying fight off anyone else who wants it.

Also I really have no interest to play with people that have the mindset "you have something I want, im going to kill you to take it"

Just a dick attitude that all reds seem to share, the only reason I can see people making these posts are there aren't enough players in game to be an asshole to so they come and taunt blue to try and get us annoyed enough to go screw with them. No Thanks.

I am glad red exists so these types of players are off of our server. it was bad enough having people just come up and sit in your camp saying its mine now because they want it.

Doesn't it frustrate you when plat farmers are monopolizing fungi for months on end? Just think on red you could kill them. That cleric story where those TMO guys leap frogged that cleric? Boom you can kill them. Shrug, you still have guilds, alliances etc within which you aren't just attacking everyone you see.

Messianic
06-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Doesn't it frustrate you when plat farmers are monopolizing fungi for months on end? Just think on red you could attempt to kill them and likely fail because they are aware that pvp is enabled and plan for it. That cleric story where those TMO guys leap frogged that cleric? Boom you can attempt to kill them. Shrug, you still have guilds, alliances etc within which you aren't just attacking everyone you see.

big league chew
06-28-2013, 10:29 AM
id rather try & fail than sit & whine

RevengeofGio
06-28-2013, 11:25 AM
If you play EQ pvp you are the bottom rung of the pvp community.

I am sitting here trying to think of a game where the pvp is worse than EQ pvp... drawing blanks.

big league chew
06-28-2013, 11:30 AM
hehehe w/e u say
hope you get good loot today so you can slay more npcs for more loot to better slay more npcs

Halius
06-28-2013, 11:33 AM
If you play EQ pvp you are the bottom rung of the pvp community.

I am sitting here trying to think of a game where the pvp is worse than EQ pvp... drawing blanks.

Probably D&D? Or maybe fighting action figures?

lawll
06-28-2013, 11:38 AM
How is EQ pvp even remoley fun other then when you wipe out a raid out take over a exp spot. Even then its not even that combat that was fun it was just the idea of making other people pissed off and wasting their time. Also how is stacking MR as a melee or rooting as a caster any fun or even hard to do?

big league chew
06-28-2013, 11:43 AM
you realize on a eq pvp server, we still play eq right? so all the "fun" you guys enjoy, that all happens too

we just have even more going on

not tryin to sell it, just sayin

Messianic
06-28-2013, 11:47 AM
id rather try & fail than sit & whine

Dunno about you, but I don't "sit and whine". And I certainly would rather not do massive CRs and be corpse camped after failing. Or be corpse camped because I was holding a camp someone else wanted and they happened to have more people than me, or be a better pvp class than me, or have better pixels than me.

If you think eq pvp is objectively better than pve, you're a confirmed neckbeard mouthbreathing idiot.

If you just happen to prefer it and recognize that it's just a preference, all is cool - i'm cool with you enjoying what you enjoy and not wasting your time deriding someone else's recreation when your recreation is, at bottom, no different.

heartbrand
06-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Pvp for pve is what's fun not pvp for pvp. If you enjoy being cock blocked by TMO and plat farmers from all content in the game then by all means keep on playing blue.

Faerie
06-28-2013, 11:50 AM

Whether camps are decided by, "I was here first!" or pvp, there's an undeniable amount of "mine mine mine!" happening. What's the difference, really? I'm happy for the ability to interact with the other players in more meaningful ways than you can. You guys have groups of people monopolizing a ton of your content, and Nihilum kills me at my camps.

As Chewie so eloquently put it; at least we're afforded the opportunity to attempt to do something about it. Sometimes we even win out against the bad guys :)

EQ PvP is higher risk, and higher reward. If the griefers didn't exist like they do, then the heroes couldn't either. I've avenged wrongful deaths, and I fight for the forces of good in the face of overwhelming evil. What do you guys do?

heartbrand
06-28-2013, 11:55 AM
The grief outside of unrest is incredibly over stated on red FYI

big league chew
06-28-2013, 12:00 PM
If you think eq pvp is objectively better than pve, you're a confirmed neckbeard mouthbreathing idiot.

yes, having more options is objectively better

come at me bro

Faerie
06-28-2013, 12:02 PM
The grief outside of unrest is incredibly over stated on red FYI

Says Checkraise, the nefarious ogre warrior that once murdered an innocent princess on CR for no reason other than to satisfy his own perverted lust for grief. Even before xp loss from pvp death was removed! :O

big league chew
06-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Says Checkraise, the nefarious ogre warrior that once murdered an innocent princess on CR for no reason other than to satisfy his own perverted lust for grief. Even before xp loss from pvp death was removed! :O

wow what a bastard
i feel sick

Messianic
06-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Pvp for pve is what's fun not pvp for pvp. If you enjoy being cock blocked by TMO and plat farmers from all content in the game then by all means keep on playing blue.

None of this actually applies to me. And are you really arguing that I am more likely to experience maximum PvE content on the PvP server than I am on the PvE server?

Right.

I don't hold this against all red players, but my only experience on red is being nuke spammed in newb zones by low level casters intent on griefing me because I didn't want to group with them (who groups at level 2 and 3?), and being followed by level 5-8ish melee with twohanders intent on preventing me from leveling. For hours. Sorry, didn't find that fun at all. I'm sure that's not the whole red experience by a long shot, but I think it illustrates the mentality most of us on blue are avoiding. Especially if we don't play enough to be a part of a decent PvP guild.

Ultimately, you're playing in an environment that is PvE. There are a virtually infinite number of gaming choices if I want to play in a PvP environment that are equal to or far better than EQ. The PvE experience and gameplay in EQ, although limited and "dead", is ultimately the only thing "unique" about P99 - PvP is available through a ton of other media. So adding PvP to it actually doesn't change the fact that almost everyone here plays mostly based on PvE content and nostalgia. That's also why so many people don't give a crap about PvP. That's not what most people came here for.

And dammit, the game takes long enough in /played to progress in without having the PvP mentality (I don't care if I receive no benefit from killing you and possibly camping your corpse, I'm going to do it because I feel like it) adding to that. Even granted the xp bonus.

There's nothing to argue. You think PvP is better. Most people disagree. Neither are "right", it's just a preference.

Reguiy
06-28-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm pretty sure this thread was made to further divide the bluebies and the rest of us, and I think it worked :P

Sad but true. If only we could all get along and choose kill each other, or not.

Halfelfbard
06-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Copy Halfelf. Take away a % of total lvl, lets say it knocks me down to 55. Cleared bank.

Let the Carnage begin.

big league chew
06-28-2013, 12:09 PM
why am i not surprised that the guy writing essays about why pvpers are mouthbreathers just admitted that he got griefed off the server

how bout:
play better
get good
p.s. ur bad

Messianic
06-28-2013, 12:14 PM
yes, having more options is objectively better

come at me bro

If additional options do not add any utility, no, they're actually not objectively better (since not all additional choices add additional utility).

Come at me bro, with your 5th grade reasoning skills.

Messianic
06-28-2013, 12:16 PM
why am i not surprised that the guy writing essays about why pvpers are mouthbreathers just admitted that he got griefed off the server

how bout:
play better
get good
p.s. ur bad

Hahaha

Thanks for proving blue's point...Go play on your 50-100 player server and leave the adults alone. You're just annoying people.

Faerie
06-28-2013, 12:16 PM
If additional options do not add any utility, no, they're actually not objectively better (since not all additional choices add additional utility).

Come at me bro, with your 5th grade reasoning skills.

I prefer social depth to measurable utility, in an MMO.

Messianic
06-28-2013, 12:18 PM
I prefer social depth to measurable utility, in an MMO.

Social depth isn't objectively enhanced on PvP. It's just different, because again, enjoyment of a video game and what comprises social depth are not objective ideas.

big league chew
06-28-2013, 12:20 PM
define utility, objectively

then think about what you said

then stop posting

Messianic
06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Do you realize you're proving my point? Am I being trolled by a kid who managed to find the password for his mom's computer?

Halius
06-28-2013, 12:24 PM
define utility, objectively

then think about what you said

then stop posting

You guys are making me think WAY too much on a Friday.

http://i.imgur.com/UmpOi.gif

Let's just play the game huh?

big league chew
06-28-2013, 12:24 PM
im just glad you're happy on blue, im sure you'll win eq someday

ps i was probably one of the ones that ruined your would-be red career

pps im not sorry at all

Faerie
06-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Social depth isn't objectively enhanced on PvP. It's just different, because again, enjoyment of a video game and what comprises social depth are not objective ideas.

Why are you so hung up on objectivity? Of course everyone is going to have a different experience, to even bring it up is kind of pointless. But I have played both red and blue, and in my subjective experience playing blue feels empty and shallow. And from the sound of it, you've only played a couple of hours on red. So your subjective opinion is based on your negative experiences on red, and your mixed experiences on blue.

I bet if more bluebies played with an open mind they would come to love pvp :)

Messianic
06-28-2013, 12:29 PM
im just glad you're happy on blue, im sure you'll win eq someday

I'm sure you'll eventually feel good enough about yourself that "winning" at pvp isn't such a huge rush for you. You probably play more every day than I play every few weeks.

Not that it makes me better than you. But it does change my preferences.

"I'll claim words don't have objective meanings, but with those nonobjective meanings I claim my preference on a hierarchy of enjoyment with video games is objective"

Don't do drugs, stay in school

big league chew
06-28-2013, 12:32 PM
...my only experience on red is being nuke spammed in newb zones by low level casters intent on griefing me because I didn't want to group with them (who groups at level 2 and 3?), and being followed by level 5-8ish melee with twohanders intent on preventing me from leveling. For hours.

wow you must be really bad at this game
like, terrible

i mean shit, even us mouthbreathers got farther than you

example: harrison made it all the way into crushbone before he started to sound like you

heartbrand
06-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Messianic prolly is very casual and red is not for casual players, its for hardcore players.

Faerie
06-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Messianic prolly is very casual and red is not for casual players, its for hardcore players.

What? :p

big league chew
06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
id bet 10 plat that dudes waitin in line for some leet gear for his 4th alt right now

casual player or hardcore scrub? u decide

Messianic
06-28-2013, 12:45 PM
What was that about words not having objective meanings? Tell me more. Enlighten me, bro!

Naw, i'm alright at pvp, I'm just really unwilling to spend any time on eq pvp. That's why I'm sitting here showing you why you're unable to think properly. I find it more entertaining.

FWIW, none of those people that harassed me ever killed me. They just ate up my time in an attempt to gain nothing but their own feeling of accomplishment (sound like blue PvE yet?). Pretty much what you're doing, and what always happens in PvP. But it's okay, i'm enjoying doing the same to you. You're really bad at it apparently. "Lolz words don't have objective meanings, harrison reference, bs etc etc"

Rezonation
06-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Relevant.
http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i52/5/3/11/fbz_a08c8c8af4b3be99a40aff792147f01e.jpg

Stinkum
06-28-2013, 12:49 PM
lol'ing at this Messianic kid responding to every little thing said in this thread with double-posts and rage-filled essays

i know why this kid is terrified of PvP, it's because he flies off the handle like a girly betamale at the drop of a hat

big league chew
06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
What was that about words not having objective meanings? Tell me more. Enlighten me, bro!

Naw, i'm alright at pvp, I'm just really unwilling to spend any time on eq pvp. That's why I'm sitting here showing you why you're unable to think properly. I find it more entertaining.

FWIW, none of those people that harassed me ever killed me. They just ate up my time in an attempt to gain nothing but their own feeling of accomplishment (sound like blue PvE yet?). Pretty much what you're doing, and what always happens in PvP. But it's okay, i'm enjoying doing the same to you. You're really bad at it apparently. "Lolz words don't have objective meanings, harrison reference, bs etc etc"

huh, i asked you to define "utility" objectively. for your own reference. so that you could stop & think about the nonsense you're spewing hundreds of words per post

Messianic
06-28-2013, 01:02 PM
lol'ing at this Messianic kid responding to every little thing said in this thread with double-posts and rage-filled essays

i know why this kid is terrified of PvP, it's because he flies off the handle like a girly betamale at the drop of a hat

Dunno, I don't see any rage in this thread - and I was only responding to two people. Did I double post more than once? Sorry, wasn't paying attention. You must really care - I'm touched.

I PvPed for well over 5 years across EQ and early Vanilla-BC-WotLK WoW. Sorry, it just doesn't interest me anymore. Especially within the framework of decade+ old mechanics.

Most PvP ends up being an epeen fest and that's not enjoyable forever. See: posting screenshots of your kills as trophies because you're so awesome

Sorry about writing longer posts - repetition and clarity are important when you're talking to mouthbreathers, and that takes more words. Enjoy glorying over your pixelated "kills". They're fun for a while. Preferences are preferences. The definition of utility - although objective is the wrong word to use - is completely irrelevant to that fact.

big league chew
06-28-2013, 01:08 PM
im gonna respond just so you have to keep going

didnt even read it but a quick skim reveals you bringing up WoW? highly relevant post, ty oh mad one

Wotsirb401
06-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Its really hard to get targets when 1 guild can compete and you have all the time in the world to clear for CT

Stinkum
06-28-2013, 01:10 PM
"hm how can i prove how not mad i am

perhaps by lashing out w/another rage-filled essay"

- messianic, 2013

t0lkien
06-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Is the Red server really so sparse you guys have to come here to forum PvP? Do you need the friction that badly? It's almost Freudian.

heartbrand
06-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Its really hard to get targets when 1 guild can compete and you have all the time in the world to clear for CT

On blue, if you're not in TMO you have 0% shot at getting into ST. Zero. On red, bring a guild over and suddenly you control your own destiny as to what content you will or will not get, AND the gear you get suddenly takes on a heightened importance. On blue you're just another zergling dressing up your magelo profile. To each their own, but if you're a hardcore raider red is 100x better, and would be even greater if a guild here would realize the futility of playing the variance game with TMO and come over together, hopefully transfers / copy's make that a reality.

big league chew
06-28-2013, 01:28 PM
friction feels so good

SamwiseRed
06-28-2013, 01:30 PM
hehehe w/e u say
hope you get good loot today so you can slay more npcs for more loot to better slay more npcs

lol'd

fadetree
06-28-2013, 01:37 PM
I like PvP a lot, just not EQ PvP. Warhammer online was pretty badass for a while. Starwars has ok PvP.

RevengeofGio
06-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Is the Red server really so sparse you guys have to come here to forum PvP? Do you need the friction that badly? It's almost Freudian.

Yep... and the ones that are there are trying to actively avoid pvp unless they know they can win....

This makes it mighty boring.

Faerie
06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
On blue, if you're not in TMO you have 0% shot at getting into ST. Zero. On red, bring a guild over and suddenly you control your own destiny as to what content you will or will not get, AND the gear you get suddenly takes on a heightened importance. On blue you're just another zergling dressing up your magelo profile. To each their own, but if you're a hardcore raider red is 100x better, and would be even greater if a guild here would realize the futility of playing the variance game with TMO and come over together, hopefully transfers / copy's make that a reality.

I've gotta be Heartbrand; this doesn't make much sense coming from you. Weren't you going to liquidate all of your red characters/items/plat and come over to blue if Nihilum wouldn't accept you? You've said that you tried hard to make all of ^that happen, but got fed up with it and joined the established zerg raiding guild after feeling as though you had no choice. Right?

I'm not saying that players couldn't overcome your current zerg, but it seems about as hard as blue coming together to overtake TMO.

Guttzs
06-28-2013, 04:20 PM
I sucked twenty cocks last night.

heartbrand
06-28-2013, 04:21 PM
The server was in a completely different place at that time then it is now, there were like 12 people who were of sufficient level to be even considered "competition," now there are dozens of level 60's not in Nihilum. The reason most guilds fail on Red who attempt to compete has absolutely nothing to do with Nihilum, it's because it's made of people who:

1) Aren't hardcore.
2) Don't really care too much about PVE
3) Have prior beef with eachother from past boxes
4) Are made up primarily of 18-22 year olds with big egos / drug issues, etc., who lack the maturity to be able to play nice with others
5) Play with a selfish mentality and not a team mentality [such as the class selection, gear fights, etc.]

A guild on blue is predicated on the assumption that you're attempting to progress your character via raid content. A guild that comes to red with that mentality will succeed on Red and give Nihilum a run for its money, and prolly have a ton more fun doing it than they ever would playing the 3am bat phone game of variance vs TMO.

People keep talking about "pvp" and "grief" but they removed exp loss from pvp deaths. It's incredibly difficult to get corpse camped unless you have literally no friends / social skills / intelligence. The majority of people from level 1-50, excluding the twink grief haven known as Unrest, are incredibly friendly and eager to group and play with you. And even if they do kill you, there's NO PENALTY, you just respawn and loot up and exp somewhere else until they leave or kill them back.

I said it before, red is not for everyone, primarily because it is more of a "hardcore" server where it seems as though 75% or more of the playerbase plays multiple hours a day. If you're there to fuck around a couple hours here and there, you're right, it's probably going to seem dead and boring. But if you come with a crew, which is what I'm advocating, you can have a tremendous amount of fun. Yes, there are some idiots in OOC who spam retarded stuff, there are on blue as well and that's why there's an /ignore function, or you can simply filter ooc to a chat box and minimize it in a corner of your screen.

If you're a mid tier raid guild on Blue [if there is even such a thing considering TMO basically monopolizes the vast majority of all raid encounters] red gives you an opportunity you will never have on Blue; the chance to actually experience raid content. If raiding is not your thing, and you're just re-experiencing Norrath, walking along and smelling the flowers and what not, then again, red is NOT for you.

Also don't frequent the red boards which are full of people who don't actually play. At the end of the day enjoyment is a personal thing, not everyone is going to enjoy the same style of play, but Red99 is NOT Quake or Counter-Strike, there's a couple of people who may think it is and want it to be, but it's not. For the most part you can completely avoid PVP if that's your thing. Anyways, to each their own, I didn't make this thread, I'm just trying to give a realistic perspective of what red is and what red isn't so that each person can make their own decision.

Guttzs
06-28-2013, 04:22 PM

blue = forum pvp

red = pvp server

big league chew
06-28-2013, 04:25 PM
The server was in a completely different place at that time then it is now, there were like 12 people who were of sufficient level to be even considered "competition," now there are dozens of level 60's not in Nihilum. The reason most guilds fail on Red who attempt to compete has absolutely nothing to do with Nihilum, it's because it's made of people who:

1) Aren't hardcore.
2) Don't really care too much about PVE
3) Have prior beef with eachother from past boxes
4) Are made up primarily of 18-22 year olds with big egos / drug issues, etc., who lack the maturity to be able to play nice with others
5) Play with a selfish mentality and not a team mentality [such as the class selection, gear fights, etc.]

A guild on blue is predicated on the assumption that you're attempting to progress your character via raid content. A guild that comes to red with that mentality will succeed on Red and give Nihilum a run for its money, and prolly have a ton more fun doing it than they ever would playing the 3am bat phone game of variance vs TMO.

People keep talking about "pvp" and "grief" but they removed exp loss from pvp deaths. It's incredibly difficult to get corpse camped unless you have literally no friends / social skills / intelligence. The majority of people from level 1-50, excluding the twink grief haven known as Unrest, are incredibly friendly and eager to group and play with you. And even if they do kill you, there's NO PENALTY, you just respawn and loot up and exp somewhere else until they leave or kill them back.

I said it before, red is not for everyone, primarily because it is more of a "hardcore" server where it seems as though 75% or more of the playerbase plays multiple hours a day. If you're there to fuck around a couple hours here and there, you're right, it's probably going to seem dead and boring. But if you come with a crew, which is what I'm advocating, you can have a tremendous amount of fun. Yes, there are some idiots in OOC who spam retarded stuff, there are on blue as well and that's why there's an /ignore function, or you can simply filter ooc to a chat box and minimize it in a corner of your screen.

If you're a mid tier raid guild on Blue [if there is even such a thing considering TMO basically monopolizes the vast majority of all raid encounters] red gives you an opportunity you will never have on Blue; the chance to actually experience raid content. If raiding is not your thing, and you're just re-experiencing Norrath, walking along and smelling the flowers and what not, then again, red is NOT for you.

Also don't frequent the red boards which are full of people who don't actually play. At the end of the day enjoyment is a personal thing, not everyone is going to enjoy the same style of play, but Red99 is NOT Quake or Counter-Strike, there's a couple of people who may think it is and want it to be, but it's not. For the most part you can completely avoid PVP if that's your thing. Anyways, to each their own, I didn't make this thread, I'm just trying to give a realistic perspective of what red is and what red isn't so that each person can make their own decision.

tl:dr

Rhambuk
06-28-2013, 08:01 PM
yeah that looks awful, you have fun over there.

Rhambuk
06-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Doesn't it frustrate you when plat farmers are monopolizing fungi for months on end? Just think on red you could kill them. That cleric story where those TMO guys leap frogged that cleric? Boom you can kill them. Shrug, you still have guilds, alliances etc within which you aren't just attacking everyone you see.

yeah that might be good but theres the other hand that makes it 10x worse

Finally getting a group together when ragefire is up, clearing to him just to have the regular farmers come in wipe you out and kill him for plat.

ooor working down to fungi and getting settled in just to have the regular farms come and take it.

yeah you could win and keep it, but the regulars arent going to stop you fight them off once and theyll just keep coming back until they get it and id rather not be jumped by a group during a fight...

heartbrand
06-28-2013, 08:07 PM
That's not at all how red works but if you'd like to talk in unrealistic hypotheticals then by all means go for it.

big league chew
06-28-2013, 08:18 PM
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee432/robn3030/fbssrmx_zps3d0aad32.jpg

SCB
06-28-2013, 08:32 PM
If I wanted to play MMO pvp, I'd play it in a game that didn't revolve around me rolling high numbers with auto-attack. You know, in a game designed around pvp?

"Dude I totally pressed 'A' so hard and then stood near that dude for a while it was totally legit"

That said the free xp to make leveling easy sounds like it would be fun if you were a solo class like a wiz/druid/necro/bard. Hit 60 quickly and collect free top-end loot, just like it was EZ Server.

fuark
06-28-2013, 08:48 PM
If I wanted to play MMO pvp, I'd play it in a game that didn't revolve around me rolling high numbers with auto-attack. You know, in a game designed around pvp?

"Dude I totally pressed 'A' so hard and then stood near that dude for a while it was totally legit"

That said the free xp to make leveling easysounds like it would be fun if you were a solo class like a wiz/druid/necro/bard. Hit 60 quickly and collect free top-end loot, just like it was EZ Server.

Lol A BIT OF S T R E T C H I N G goin on in this thread now

SCB
06-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Lol A BIT OF S T R E T C H I N G goin on in this thread now

You're going to claim that bonus xp and 90% of the world consisting of uncontested, empty camps isn't easy for a solo class? Because that seems super easy to me.

Since literally the only difficulty in pre-velious EQ, as far as actual raid mobs goes, comes from competition with other guilds, I'm sure those uncontested bosses are super tough. Stacking resists for whatever fight you're going to face and pressing auto-attack, or casting the same spell 4 times because that's as long as the fight lasts, isn't exactly a challenge.

heartbrand
06-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Exactly the same as blue except on red people can kill you, u serious or dum?

fuark
06-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Exactly the same as blue except on red people can kill you, u serious or dum?

Lol this.

At any well known (because it's good) camp you will run into pvp (OT, seafuries, major guard/money spots). You can't just mindlessly AFK for hours and expect to not come back dead and looted. This gets me too often since Beck seems to find me literally every time I go get a drink. Mob death also hurts much more on red because it isn't triviliazed by having 5 clerics sitting in the EC tunnel willing to rez for 100pp and a port.

Almost 52 on my wizard, and haven't gotten a single exp death back. Ate 3 exp deaths in 51 so far trying dungeon encounters I wasn't geared for yet.

Not that I'm saying that's a good or fun thing, but the exaggerating in this thread... lol.

Free loot? Sign me up since I am still rolling with a savant's cap and green silken drape and don't see that changing for quite a long time.

People also seem to forget that a ton of people on blue leveled up with bonus exp. When I first rolled on blue with my necro, there was very often bonus exp implemented.

heartbrand
06-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Yaw blue real challenging, join group hit auto attack collect exp repeat for 20-30 days played, app TMO and collect loot, retire sell account for blue plat, investigate your favorite toppings.

SCB
06-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Yaw blue real challenging, join group hit auto attack collect exp repeat for 20-30 days played, app TMO and collect loot, retire sell account for blue plat, investigate your favorite toppings.

You'll note that I haven't said any Blue content is hard, but rather made a mockery of the claims that Red somehow is.

EQ is a fundamentally easy game to play. The difficulty comes in strategizing for the odd difficult encounters (see SAC thread or some raids at-gear and at-intended-numbers) and surviving the grinds/camps.

Splorf22
06-28-2013, 10:13 PM
EQ PVE is definitely not challenging. Especially since half the players on blue are twinked out their asses. You end up being in a group with an average level of 55 and 4 epic characters.

PVP is probably a bit harder but I wouldn't say its some phenomenal leap up. Group PVP is mostly more of the same, pick a few spells and spam em.

Really I just don't feel EQ has either enough depth to be strategically challenging or a fast enough pace to require huge hand/eye coordination. Mostly EQ is about showing up more than the other guy. Perhaps its more accurate to say that you can be bad at EQ but not really good.

Guttzs
06-28-2013, 10:54 PM
You're going to claim that bonus xp and 90% of the world consisting of uncontested, empty camps isn't easy for a solo class? Because that seems super easy to me.

Since literally the only difficulty in pre-velious EQ, as far as actual raid mobs goes, comes from competition with other guilds, I'm sure those uncontested bosses are super tough. Stacking resists for whatever fight you're going to face and pressing auto-attack, or casting the same spell 4 times because that's as long as the fight lasts, isn't exactly a challenge.

if you think pvp is as easy as pressing auto attack and clicking spells .......

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/4251-full-retard.jpg

SCB
06-28-2013, 10:58 PM

Compared to the depth of any modern mmo's pvp, it's a joke.

Guttzs
06-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Compared to the depth of any modern mmo's pvp, it's a joke.

Go play something you understand.

SCB
06-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Go play something you understand.

"Come play red!"

"Red pvp sucks"

"No, you suck. Play a different game"

Pro recruiting

Guttzs
06-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Not recruiting the weak kthxbye

lawll
06-29-2013, 09:25 AM

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/4251-full-retard.jpg

You stack MR as a melee and no caster can root you, you roll a caster and just root/burst. The pvp has no purpose other then to piss people off, it's not like you gain anything from killing someone. So why would I play on the red side when it has pointless non faction based pvp that only has two ways of playing (melee/caster) and everyone plays the same. It's not even like you guys have guild vs guild it's mostly just ganking or getting ganked and coming back with 10 friends.

Barkingturtle
06-29-2013, 09:39 AM
It is bizarre the me that anyone plays p99 for "challenge" or "accomplishments".

Need to reevaluate your lives, dudes.

heartbrand
06-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Everything in the above post shows you have no idea how pvp on red99 works because root lands all the time. You can't just auto attack someone because people joust aka move around and time their attacks. Wizards don't just stand toe to toe casting sunstrike. Perhaps it's for the best you don't play on red because its clear you don't know how to play.

lawll
06-29-2013, 09:44 AM
It is bizarre the me that anyone plays p99 for "challenge" or "accomplishments".

Need to reevaluate your lives, dudes.

Uhh, EQ is a lot more unforgiving then any new mmo out today. When you win at something that is unforgiving (challenge) you come out feeling like you gained something (accomplishments). Other then newer mmos where your really never work for anything and never feel like you gained anything then lose interest.

lawll
06-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Everything in the above post shows you have no idea how pvp on red99 works because root lands all the time. You can't just auto attack someone because people joust aka move around and time their attacks. Wizards don't just stand toe to toe casting sunstrike. Perhaps it's for the best you don't play on red because its clear you don't know how to play.

You auto attack as a melee when your jousting lol just because your moving doesn't mean your not still auto attacking. Also never said wizards would stand in one spot and spam you just root move then spam. You can try to sugar coat it as much as you want but eq pvp is broken down into two ways to play, root nuke or auto attack and run. Also the camera control was ASS in classic and was so much harder to kite when pvping, you have it so much easier now you don't even know.

heartbrand
06-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Actually I do know since I played eq since release. You've basically completely removed the role of pelling / healing / clickies / stuns / mez etc

lawll
06-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Actually I do know since I played eq since release. You've basically completely removed the role of pelling / healing / clickies / stuns / mez etc

Yea in group pvp it would be a good idea to have others to support the dps but lets be real here who rolls a non dps class on a pvp server that has all vets and a 100ish pop. Most of the pvp that happens here is from melee dps with 2hs or casters.

heartbrand
06-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Everything you're posting shows you have no clue what red is like. Red isn't for everyone, it may even not be for most people, but it isn't the way you're describing right now.

lawll
06-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Everything you're posting shows you have no clue what red is like. Red isn't for everyone, it may even not be for most people, but it isn't the way you're describing right now.

Maybe post 20 its balanced but it drops off after that.

Faerie
06-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Everything in the above post shows you have no idea how pvp on red99 works because root lands all the time.

Why do people say this? I've stopped casting root entirely because it never, ever lands. The only time it probably would is on naked people, but I of course don't attack them. The time it takes to cast would be better spent nuking or dispelling.

Alawen
06-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Eight straight posts failing to defend against an eighteen-word post from Barking Turtle. I think it's clear who won this round of ForumQuest.

tradereq
06-29-2013, 02:22 PM
I feel less of a person and especially a man cus I don't play red.

You red faggots are worse than Halo and CoD players combined. Go fuck a pumpkin.

heartbrand
06-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Pretty sure the only person calling other people faggots is you. If you can't understand the desire to play somewhere where you can do whatever you want at any time if you win a fight for it as opposed to being continually cock blocked I can't rly help you.

Rapidwave
06-29-2013, 05:38 PM
I'd really like to play Red, but I just can't ever get into it due to the population. That added element/sense of danger pvp brings just seem like it could be a lot of fun, but I'm sure it just sounds good in writing. I can't imagine EQ PvP being anything special though.

Wish I could convince some friends to play, they just can't get into EQ due to its simplistic/boring gameplay compared to modern MMOs. Can't really argue it either.

t0lkien
06-29-2013, 06:52 PM
I'd really like to play Red, but I just can't ever get into it due to the population. That added element/sense of danger pvp brings just seem like it could be a lot of fun, but I'm sure it just sounds good in writing. I can't imagine EQ PvP being anything special though.

Wish I could convince some friends to play, they just can't get into EQ due to its simplistic/boring gameplay compared to modern MMOs. Can't really argue it either.

I don't understand this, honestly. Modern MMO's are dumbed down, cheesed, and trivialized in the extreme, and this by design. They are just much easier to get into (because they are shallower and much easier)! Accusing EQ of being simplistic compared to modern MMOs is the height of irony. No other game before or since has such synchronicity and subtlety of class interaction, and depth of item design. Maybe what they really mean is they find the game's graphics simplistic, don't like that every class can't do everything they want, it's the antithesis of action RPGing, and doesn't hold their hand every step of the way. And fair enough, I wouldn't argue with that either.

The problem with PvP in EQ is that EQ was designed from beginning to end as a PvE experience. PvP was allowed because people asked for it, but it was stated time and again by the devs that there would be no design changes that favoured PvP and simultaneously had a negative impact on the main game (which was PvE). The Zek servers whinged and complained about it constantly back in the day. That's what made EQ great, it knew what it was. You absolutely cannot design a game that satisfies both PvE and PvP. They are different animals and have design imperatives that inevitably work in direct opposition to each other.

Rapidwave
06-29-2013, 07:18 PM
I don't understand this, honestly. Modern MMO's are dumbed down, cheesed, and trivialized in the extreme, and this by design. They are just much easier to get into (because they are shallower and much easier)! Accusing EQ of being simplistic compared to modern MMOs is the height of irony. No other game before or since has such synchronicity and subtlety of class interaction, and depth of item design. Maybe what they really mean is they find the game's graphics simplistic, don't like that every class can't do everything they want, it's the antithesis of action RPGing, and doesn't hold their hand every step of the way. And fair enough, I wouldn't argue with that either.

Had nothing to do with graphics or having their hand held, that's the only part they enjoyed. They enjoyed the open world / no maps / danger, ect.. however, the novelty of that wore off by level 25.

They didn't enjoy killing the same creatures hundreds of times per hour with no real threat of dying, combined with only using auto attacks and watching numbers. (let's be honest, it's hard to die outside dungeons in a group)

They've never played Everquest before. They don't count items as abilities, they just found the game simply boring, put on auto attack, click backstab once every few seconds, that's all 1-60. They complained that melee classes have no depth compared to modern MMOs, and I honestly agree. I warned them about making one as their first character, but meh.

I enjoy EQ, but I'm not going to sit here and say it has the highest difficulty cap out of every MMO ever made. IMO, every MMO is pretty damn easy compared to most games.

t0lkien
06-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Ah, in relation to melee gameplay, I get what they mean. I'm not being an EQ apologetic, but the shallowness and predictability and total lack of creativity of modern MMOs drives me nuts. To hear someone hold them up as examples of those things is... bizarre. If gamers now think hitting a button to attack instead of pressing autoattack constitutes complexity - I despair for the future of games. It always odd to me when players grandstand about skill in these games too. Skill? It's all knowledge and persistence, and power acquisition through items and level, and understanding of the game systems. If you want skill go to FPS's or RTS's or console style fighting games (not you, just generally). The level of physical "skill" required is really pretty low. They are cerebral more than visceral.

I'm not sure about the danger of dying thing. Either they were playing with twinks, twinked themselves, being babysat by a higher level, or fighting in areas well below their level. EQ has much more danger than other games - that's a defining difference between it and other MMOs. One mob can easily wipe a group if things go bad, let alone a few adds. The danger of dying is always there, and if it happens it actually hurts (especially in either a hell level or the level after it!) Maybe we're playing different games o_O

heartbrand
06-29-2013, 07:29 PM
I dunno how else to say this ill try one more time. If you play red for quake style pvp you're prolly going to have a bad time. If you play there to enjoy eq with a dash of pvp over mobs rather than FTE you'll find it refreshing

Gadwen
06-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Is there an anti-pk PvE RP guild yet?

Hailto
06-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Why is this thread not in RnF?

Kagatob
06-29-2013, 09:41 PM

heartbrand
06-29-2013, 09:47 PM

Because it's pretty tame with no rants or flames contained within, an honest assessment of the differences between red or blue with pros and cons for each. Your post on the other hand prolly should be moved to RNF.

Hailto
06-29-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm really butthurt that I play on a dead server.

Guttzs
06-29-2013, 10:28 PM
You auto attack as a melee when your jousting lol just because your moving doesn't mean your not still auto attacking. Also never said wizards would stand in one spot and spam you just root move then spam. You can try to sugar coat it as much as you want but eq pvp is broken down into two ways to play, root nuke or auto attack and run. Also the camera control was ASS in classic and was so much harder to kite when pvping, you have it so much easier now you don't even know.

If this was the case the best dmg or dps wep would win hands down, however with actual skill in jousting and yes it does take skill i dont care what anyone attempts to con volute that jousting is just auto attack and win, you may be thinking of two people standing toe to toe fighting not actual PVP. Jousting takes skill.

It sounds like you either never played eq pvp specifically on jousting you dont just keep auto attack on and expect a hit when your target is in range, you need to be keen on alot of factors which include the race of your target along with the delay of your weapon which you absolutely DO NOT KEEP AUTO ATTACK ON.

JurisDictum
06-29-2013, 11:35 PM
It always odd to me when players grandstand about skill in these games too. Skill? It's all knowledge and persistence, and power acquisition through items and level, and understanding of the game systems. If you want skill go to FPS's or RTS's or console style fighting games (not you, just generally). The level of physical "skill" required is really pretty low. They are cerebral more than visceral.

I agree with this. I'm a guy that has spent a lot of time playing League of Legends, Warcraft 3, and Starcraft 2. MMOs were never meant to be in the same category as these games; known now as "esports."
Anyone who has played these games long enough will notice almost every player thinks he's better than he actually is. They sit around bitching about their elo and their bad luck and how the sun was in their eyes, completely unphased by the fact that everyone says the same thing they are. Then there is the more mature crowd of self deluders, who are convinced that they would be pro if they "had the time" or "took it more seriously." One thing is for sure, a small minority is actually comfortable accepting their how they rank.
This is why LoL changed their Ranking system from simple ELO to some grind oriented system that allowed mediocre players to get shiny gold/platinum/diamond medals (same with SC2). Because it turns out, most people don't really want to told where they stand as far as skill relative to other players.
What I'm getting at here, is that when you reward players strictly based on skill (which natural talent plays a big part), it necessarily sucks for the vast majority of people that play the game. Most people simply aren't mature enough to handle it. And even if you are, a lot of people like a sense of progress as they sink more time into a game.
Game knowledge and practice plays a big part in esport games. But what really gets you to the top .001% is natural talent in the forum of quick thinking and "twitch." The absolute top combines this with years of rigorous practice that essentially is going to rewire you brain to handle (for example) SC mechanics.
The "skill" in MMOs basically takes out a lot of the influence natural talent has on one's overall performance. While leaving the effects of game knowledge and generic practice as the big impactors on one's in-game success.
Given that most people play these games to create an avatar in a fantasy world, this more egalitarian approach makes much more sense.

SamwiseRed
06-29-2013, 11:41 PM
killing players more fun than killing npcs with bad ai

but to each his own.

RevengeofGio
06-30-2013, 04:43 AM

but to each his own.

This game was never meant for pvp and is not even remotely balanced for it. The other issue is that it seems like red has some major personality issues.

SamwiseRed
06-30-2013, 08:13 AM
This game was never meant for pvp and is not even remotely balanced for it. The other issue is that it seems like red has some major personality issues.

ive heard of people sitting at spawns for 36+ hours straight without logging on blue. 50 page threads arguing over FTE. lets not talk about personality issues :P

Swish
06-30-2013, 12:49 PM
50 page threads arguing over FTE. lets not talk about personality issues :P

Sithel1988
06-30-2013, 01:22 PM
whats this red thing i keep hearing about. is that the single player eq game thats under my project1999 server that i play on?

myriverse
06-30-2013, 01:40 PM

but to each his own.
And to those who don't like PVP, it ruins their fun. Frankly, I associate PVP with antisocial behaviour... but to each their own.

SamwiseRed
06-30-2013, 01:49 PM
id consider soloing mobs for 4 hours straight more anti social than interacting with other players in pvp combat :)

heartbrand
06-30-2013, 02:02 PM
And to those who don't like PVP, it ruins their fun. Frankly, I associate PVP with antisocial behaviour... but to each their own.

but you don't consider a bunch of people sitting around for a mob to FTE and the ensuing drama anti social behavior?

Swish
06-30-2013, 02:37 PM
The only thing I hate about red is someone logging on their Level 20 well equipped alt and thinking they're good at PvP because they beat an ungeared caster in his starting robe.

If you can pass that test, and/or stay away from places like Unrest...then you'll survive the server no problems. Also, there's a guild that doesn't engage in much PvP activity... Serenity? Very much a blue attitude to the red server I thought.

If anyone wants to do a plat transfer between blue and red to help themselves get started (3.5:1 blue/red) I'm sure there's people available. I've got some spare sitting around, let me know :)

webrunner5
06-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Come on people lets not sugarcoat this crap. Anyone that plays either Blue or Red does not have a real life. Admit it. You know and I know our mothers and friends think we are weird as hell. And we need RL help badly. :eek::eek: