PDA

View Full Version : Someone please help me choose what I make my main!

Tsoukalos
06-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Hey everyone, I want to create a character that I play when my cousin is not online; he's busy and he really can't play as often as I can. I really want some help here.. I really want to completely enjoy the game!

Anyhow, I'm torn between Wizzy, Nec, Magician, SK and Shammy.

Now I know they're all completely different but still...

I have a Warrior level 7 currently which I play strictly with my cousin grouped up. I want to level up a guy when he's not online.. P99 is my main MMO.. closest to the EQOA experience I can get and I love the community.

I like to be an important character that's fun in addition to being important. SK is both fun AND important. I can tank or I can be kindof a DPS. I like the Warrior but SK would be more in addition to it.

Wizzy.. I want one because man, they can NUKE. I love that. But one thing that really kills it is they are mana bottlenecked which means they lose mana quick and when you're a Wizzy without mana you're essentially useless making Wizzy rather difficult and pointless.

Shammy - Important, in EQOA I was a Cleric for all the years I played, I did enjoy healing but Cleric is extremely boring as I got older.. I hate relying on having a group. Shammys probably can solo a little bit, they get a cute little pet, they turn different forms which is cool and they're very important with their heals and buffs!

Magician - Since leaving EQOA I always made a caster in MMO's because casters for the most part can solo and have their own group going on and plus, being a nerd you like magic and spells. LOL. Also you kindof own as a Magician for these reasons.

Nec - See Magician and SK and kindof merge them minus the whole tanking bit.

I have NO idea what to make; I love tanking nowadays but I want to have the most fun possible, be able to meet a lot of cool people here on P99, raid end levels and have killer fun.

I'm going to make the decision based on research and your recommendations.

ALSO! If anybody would like to start a character with me and group up whenever we're both online, that'd be really cool having a constant static group going on but DO realize I will play this character when you are not online.

Estu
06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Well, first of all, don't go Wizard; they're boring and they're nearly useless in groups.

If you love tanking, SK is a good choice. They can also solo somewhat. They're not very useful in raids, though; in raids you almost always have warriors tanking.

Magician and Shaman are both good overall choices. Magicians are better soloers (until your later levels, anyway), shamans are better in groups, but both are very useful in groups and raids. Magicians are rather boring to play; shamans are a lot more interesting.

Necromancer is like magician, but more interesting to play, better at soloing, and less useful in groups and raids.

RevengeofGio
06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
If you make an SK or a Paladin... I've been coordinating with Rhipwind (sp?) and Rham to form a nice 6 man group.

So far the group looks like necro, cleric, enchanter, shaman, rogue , (need tank). The majority of the group is around 20 atm.

Swish
06-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Well, first of all, don't go Wizard; they're boring and they're nearly useless in groups.

Not useless, just less useful versus a lot of other dps classes. If you're looking ahead to Velious then its not a bad idea to roll one given the shortage.

Tsoukalos
06-26-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm just unsure of what to make because this guy, whatever I make is gonna be my main guy I play and I don't really want to waste my time.

RevengeofGio
06-26-2013, 03:56 PM
I'm just unsure of what to make because this guy, whatever I make is gonna be my main guy I play and I don't really want to waste my time.

You could keep leveling up the warrior and make a halfling paladin to play with your brother or an SK and travel over there.

Sarius
06-26-2013, 03:57 PM
I think Mage would be your best bet. They can solo very well, are not gear dependent, and have little down time. They are good for farming at later levels so you can gear up that warrior of yours. There are not a ton at higher levels, so with CoTH you will always be desired in raids.

Tsoukalos
06-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Wizzy feels like me like a waste of time but as you level you outdamage probably everyone with ONE spell. That's cool. Again, I like the whole Wizard thing because in real life and whatnot that's pretty cool. Nuking with spells in game WOULD be cool, but you're completely group reliant and you get raped if you don't group up.

Nec.. I love the whole evil magician thing with the Nec, love the pets, love the DoT, but I've been Magician/Nec type casters in MMO's now for years and frankly it gets old.

Magician - Basically it's a Wizard with pets and they aren't nearly as "useless"

Shammy.. It would be very cool to be a useful healer that can solo, change forms and be extremely useful in groups.

This is difficult because I want SK but if I already have a Warrior and nobody wants to group up with SK's, I've heard so really, what's the point. I'm gonna try and research some things I guess. Won't be an easy decision..

xCry0x
06-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Play warrior with your cousin.

Play Necro by yourself.

Necro is a class that you can log in, play for 15 mins, log out at will.

Also if your cousin doesn't play much and your necro severely out levels your warrior & cousin group necro's have the ability to powerlevel very well.

Say you hit 50 on necro and your cousin is still fiddling around in level 20. Well you can jump on necro, dot something to hell and back, he hits it once, you FD, mob dies, he gets full exp.

Necro will also allow you to have a class capable of farming for money later on to help both you and your cousins characters. Wars are gear dependant, but if you level up killing seafuries on necro you will have $$ to go out and buy your warrior full crafted armor etc to make life easier.

Tsoukalos
06-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Play warrior with your cousin.

Play Necro by yourself.

Necro is a class that you can log in, play for 15 mins, log out at will.

Also if your cousin doesn't play much and your necro severely out levels your warrior & cousin group necro's have the ability to powerlevel very well.

Say you hit 50 on necro and your cousin is still fiddling around in level 20. Well you can jump on necro, dot something to hell and back, he hits it once, you FD, mob dies, he gets full exp.

Necro will also allow you to have a class capable of farming for money later on to help both you and your cousins characters. Wars are gear dependant, but if you level up killing seafuries on necro you will have $$ to go out and buy your warrior full crafted armor etc to make life easier.

Yeah he's honestly not going to be on nearly as much as me so that's why I want to create a main.

Sarius
06-26-2013, 04:16 PM
SK is actually really good for tanking because they can actually get agro while warriors struggle to.

Samoht
06-26-2013, 04:26 PM
well, to begin with, SKs and Necros have very limited roles in raids. Also, if you already have a warrior alt, do you really want an SK and a warrior?

wizards don't have the DPS you seem to think they do, especially when mana becomes a problem late game. they burn out real fast then spend a lot of time sitting. a lot.

that leaves you with shamans and mages, and believe it or not, the classes are really similar in their success because of their individual versatility and the fact that they have usefulness in raids even in large numbers.

a mage can only play one role in a group, though: DPS

pick shaman as your main so that you can be the healer, buffer/slower (re: support), or DPS. later in the game after you have a pet, a nice 2hb (poison wind censer, barbarian spiritist hammer), JBB, and fungi, you'll be a soloing power house.

Tsoukalos
06-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah I ruled SK out already and it's between Wizard and Shammy now. Probably gonna go with Shaman.

Sarius
06-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Shaman is great, there are a ton out there but more are always good. They are not that great for soloing until lvl 29 or 34 however.

Splorf22
06-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Actually SKs have a huge raid role at the moment - eye of zomm+coh+hide = pull anything anywhere. How pulls will work when they aren't trivialized by invis exploits will be very interesting.

thufir
06-26-2013, 05:19 PM
If you make an SK or a Paladin... I've been coordinating with Rhipwind (sp?) and Rham to form a nice 6 man group.

So far the group looks like necro, cleric, enchanter, shaman, rogue , (need tank). The majority of the group is around 20 atm.

I could be that tank, maybe. Hit Grallos up some time in-game.

xCry0x
06-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeah he's honestly not going to be on nearly as much as me so that's why I want to create a main.

Honestly if I could do it over I would have done ogre shaman for first char.

Sebilis:
Fungi king is 24/7 lock down (almost) by shaman + monk/war
Crypt is frequently locked down by Shaman (sometimes shaman + monk/war)
NG is frequently locked down by Shaman or Enchanter

Enchanter is great too but from what I understand Shaman pull ahead in the 'solo farm the world' category in Velious.

Shaman can also root/rot afk exp once they get/can click epic, would have prevented me from being in this "Can never find a group to finish level 59 unless it is a day I am supposed to be at a raid" rut I am in =).

With the access to farming you have available with a shaman you could straight up buy an account or pay for plvl for whatever alt you want if you never want to level again... or you could just twink an alt like crazy.

Rhambuk
06-26-2013, 06:17 PM
halfling paladin

Incorrect!

Though I wish i could make a halfling chick ranger, and a gnome chick shadowknight

Verityn
06-26-2013, 07:50 PM
pick shaman as your main so that you can be the healer, buffer/slower (re: support), or DPS. later in the game after you have a pet, a nice 2hb (poison wind censer, barbarian spiritist hammer), JBB, and fungi, you'll be a soloing power house.

Agreed. In my groups I'll always take a shaman to fill any role even if we have a shaman already healing. I have the same opinion of druids if you're into those too.

I'd personally prefer to have a nice shaman in every single group whether it's a 2 man, 4 man or 6 man.

Lojik
06-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Just a warning about going shaman:
They are very expensive to gear well, and their spells are the most expensive to attain. One of the reasons I haven't been playing mine as much. Other than that they are a great class.

Skope
06-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Honestly if I could do it over I would have done ogre shaman for first char.

Sebilis:
Fungi king is 24/7 lock down (almost) by shaman + monk/war
Crypt is frequently locked down by Shaman (sometimes shaman + monk/war)
NG is frequently locked down by Shaman or Enchanter

Enchanter is great too but from what I understand Shaman pull ahead in the 'solo farm the world' category in Velious.

Shaman can also root/rot afk exp once they get/can click epic, would have prevented me from being in this "Can never find a group to finish level 59 unless it is a day I am supposed to be at a raid" rut I am in =).

With the access to farming you have available with a shaman you could straight up buy an account or pay for plvl for whatever alt you want if you never want to level again... or you could just twink an alt like crazy.

It depends on what he means by "main."

Late-stage velious (or really any point in velious) it's unnecessary to have more than 2-3 per raid - though you can get it done with one, you're going to have a nightmare of a time with hundreds of /rt.

If raiding, shaman is one of those support classes that you can have an excess of - unlike bards, wizzies, rogues, clerics, or monks, for example. The good majority of people that play shamans do so for soloing/making $$ rather than raiding, and they don't play shaman as a main. In velious, getting gear is relatively easy for a shaman (in comparison to plate classes), and provided you've got good kunark gear, you can solo those WW dragons with just some minor +resist upgrades. Gear gets a lot better for shamans in velious, but it isn't completely necessary and won't make or break your solo viability.

If you're going to pick shaman as a main for leveling and raiding, then you'd better be able to deal with endless tells for buff requests, debuffing, keeping eye on timers, support healing, and nonstop cannidancing. There are far too many shaman who hit 60, fall in love with torpor, and then wind up leaving their shamans rotting away in seb.

This isn't to deter you, though. If you love the class for more than it's solo ability, then by all means play shaman. If on the other hand it's your choice because you hear they solo well, then I'd suggest you think twice. You can have a 60 sham as an alt and still solo just as well.

Millburn
06-26-2013, 08:37 PM
My advice is just a reminder to make your new guy on a separate account.

webrunner5
06-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Just a warning about going shaman:
They are very expensive to gear well, and their spells are the most expensive to attain. One of the reasons I haven't been playing mine as much. Other than that they are a great class.

Yeah, I think they cost more to equip than a Warrior. And like has been said you don't have time to scratch your butt on one in a group. :eek: But a great class if you can hack it. They will be uber in Velious soloing.

Feralspec
06-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Im sure this has been mentioned already but play what you want. You'll find the game much more enjoyable not feeling forced to play on other peoples statements. In my opinion though a shaman is a great choice, flexible in all situations, great in groups as they have many powerful buffs and can solo as well. Plus if you like to watch tv or something while you play its a nice class with roots, dots, and a pet. That's just how I feel though, once again play what you find appealing

Lojik
06-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Im sure this has been mentioned already but play what you want. You'll find the game much more enjoyable not feeling forced to play on other peoples statements. In my opinion though a shaman is a great choice, flexible in all situations, great in groups as they have many powerful buffs and can solo as well. Plus if you like to watch tv or something while you play its a nice class with roots, dots, and a pet. That's just how I feel though, once again play what you find appealing

If you like to watch TV a shaman is definitely not the class for you. Cannidance all day.

Feralspec
06-27-2013, 10:04 PM
If you like to watch TV a shaman is definitely not the class for you. Cannidance all day.

macrobro, and i just mean for soloing, deff cant devote too much tv in a group