PDA

View Full Version : Wizard quad kiting

gotrocks
06-26-2013, 04:14 AM
You know, now that i'm creating this post im pretty sure i could find a thread on this somewhere, but i'm going to post this anyway and maybe someone will dig it up.

Any suggestions on wizard quad kiting? I'm not really sure how to do it. Is it possible without jboots/sow? Any suggestions on where to go for each lvl range, and which spell(s) to use? Any help would be appreciated. never played a wizzy before and I've got one now who's about to hit 20.

Estu
06-26-2013, 10:55 AM
It's technically possible without JBoots or SoW, though it's a lot more mana intensive since you have to AE snare at least four times (probably five - once per monster when you're gathering them and then once after you have them bunched up) instead of once. It's also helpful to have a staff of temperate flux for quick pulling. A good place to start quadding is Everfrost mammoths near Permafrost. Once they go light blue, you can head over to Firiona Vie - exit the town and turn right, following the cliffs, and you'll find a great place to quad pirates and drolvargs. After that, you can do tundra yetis in Dreadlands, then spectres in Feerrott, Oasis, or OOT, and then spirocs in Timorous Deep.

Lojik
06-26-2013, 11:16 AM
You know, now that i'm creating this post im pretty sure i could find a thread on this somewhere, but i'm going to post this anyway and maybe someone will dig it up.

Any suggestions on wizard quad kiting? I'm not really sure how to do it. Is it possible without jboots/sow? Any suggestions on where to go for each lvl range, and which spell(s) to use? Any help would be appreciated. never played a wizzy before and I've got one now who's about to hit 20.

You can quad before 29 but only if you have sow/jboots really, and ideally a flux staff.
Only use these spells before 51-
Pillar of Fire- 16-23
Column of Lightning 24-33
Circle of Force 34-50

All the other aoe's are terrible mana/damage ratio.

+100 for Estu's suggestions. FV is a great quad zone until low 40's, will also add in LOIO bloodgills when you're mid 40's -51.

Raavak
06-26-2013, 11:54 AM
You can quad without sow/jboots and your snare... it takes longer and is more dangerous. I suggest SoW pots. I was doing Mammoths in EF then stuff in South Karana mostly. I think that got me up to spectres. In general, though, I just had lots of SoW potions... they are cheap.

Flux Staff is definitely a must-have for quading. You will need aid in getting one at 20 since you have to go into Permafrost and SolA and kill goblins.

Use only the pillar/column spells... everything else is too inefficient.

Ganjar
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
I have a 24 wizard all I do is quad - when I'm playing I'm broadcasting. Watch if u wanna pick up some pointers or give some. If u have a higher lvl char mq the staff, essential . !!

Get a soloists icy wand if u can extremely helpful - but not needed with wise quad pulls - ie the crocs in oasis scatter when low hp, some mobs stay clumped til 1% and til they are dead. The very last one will flee. That's one killing shot needed instead of 4. But u take what u can get on crowded server days .

Why the heck would u kite without a sow?!? go buy a couple ec lol, sow pots. If u can't afford it , get at me and I'll give u a few , portsfour . u can pay me back when ur able to port !

Twitch.tv/gilbert490

Estu
06-26-2013, 02:56 PM
I'd kind of dispute Temperate Flux being a must-have for quadding. It's useful, sure, but you can also pull fine by just casting your level 1 nuke.

diplo
06-26-2013, 03:08 PM
I'd kind of dispute Temperate Flux being a must-have for quadding. It's useful, sure, but you can also pull fine by just casting your level 1 nuke.

it's a must have just for the sake of making life so much easier...still takes like what 2 seconds to cast lvl 1 nuke?

Estu
06-26-2013, 03:16 PM
1.1 seconds (http://wiki.project1999.org/Shock_of_Frost). Yeah, it's not instant-cast, but I wouldn't advocate necessarily trying to do the temperate flux quest if you're very low level and would have to get a lot of help.

Lojik
06-26-2013, 08:50 PM
1.1 seconds (http://wiki.project1999.org/Shock_of_Frost). Yeah, it's not instant-cast, but I wouldn't advocate necessarily trying to do the temperate flux quest if you're very low level and would have to get a lot of help.

1.1 seconds, but then add in the recast time, and needing to stop, as well as taking up one of the spell slots. The debuff is slight, but everything helps. Yes the quest is tough at low level, but I have seen the mq for sale.

Estu
06-26-2013, 09:39 PM
1.1 seconds, but then add in the recast time, and needing to stop, as well as taking up one of the spell slots. The debuff is slight, but everything helps. Yes the quest is tough at low level, but I have seen the mq for sale.

Not to be an intolerable nitpicker, but the recast time is irrelevant if you're just using it to pull in a quad situation (in which you just cast it once and then run to find the next monster or bunch them up), and spell slots are not in incredibly high demand for quad-kiting wizards. Also, the debuff is irrelevant for magic-based AEs, which is what you're using most of the time.

Cords
06-26-2013, 11:31 PM
The staff is good either way. not only is it an insta pull, but it debuff's. Its a win win.

Lojik
06-27-2013, 01:18 AM
Not to be an intolerable nitpicker, but the recast time is irrelevant if you're just using it to pull in a quad situation (in which you just cast it once and then run to find the next monster or bunch them up), and spell slots are not in incredibly high demand for quad-kiting wizards. Also, the debuff is irrelevant for magic-based AEs, which is what you're using most of the time.

This is not necessarily true. For instance one of the pulls in LOIO there are 4 goblins close to each other that don't social. I need to cast on all 4 of them and I do this in about 1.5 seconds for 4 spells. Simply couldn't do it with a level 1 nuke.
Also, magic based AE's most of the time?
Pillar of Fire- Fire based
Column of Lightning - Fire Based
Circle of Force- Fire based
Pillar of Frost - Cold Based
Pillar of Lightning- Magic Based
Pillar of Flame- Fire Based
5/6 are either cold or fire based, unless the wiki information is incorrect.

Estu
06-27-2013, 07:59 AM
This is not necessarily true. For instance one of the pulls in LOIO there are 4 goblins close to each other that don't social. I need to cast on all 4 of them and I do this in about 1.5 seconds for 4 spells. Simply couldn't do it with a level 1 nuke.
Also, magic based AE's most of the time?
Pillar of Fire- Fire based
Column of Lightning - Fire Based
Circle of Force- Fire based
Pillar of Frost - Cold Based
Pillar of Lightning- Magic Based
Pillar of Flame- Fire Based
5/6 are either cold or fire based, unless the wiki information is incorrect.

I was talking about Column of Lightning and Circle of Force since those are what you use for most of your quad-kiting career, but I thought those were magic-based based on their names and icons. Indeed, the wiki says they're fire-based, which I find rather surprising. But there are stranger things in EQ :p

Tuljin
06-29-2013, 02:53 AM
flux staff is key for pulling even when you're not quadding -also mobs you end up pulling to quad you really dont want to take a pause to do anything besides snare them