PDA

View Full Version : Noob stream... with lots of deaths :P

Roguedown
06-23-2013, 09:36 AM
So ill be streaming my noobness dying a lot while i try and figure out this kitting thing :P

http://www.twitch.tv/rogued0wn

come chat with me so im not so bored :D

t0lkien
06-23-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't know how you guys kite in normal 3rd person. I F9 to the 4th view, zoom it out, bind keys to strafe and turn simultaneously, and see everything (necessary not only so you see when the DoT hits, but also for adds).

Roguedown
06-23-2013, 09:47 AM
does the 4th view give more range? ill try it out

t0lkien
06-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Yes you are basically looking out and down at everything - the camera isn't following the character anymore, and doesn't turn with the character. Hard to explain, but you'll see it as soon as you use it ingame. You zoom in and out by holding down mouselook (right button) and pushing and pulling the mouse. You'll see.

The trick is to bind your movement keys (I use the arrow keys for kiting) to strafe *and* turn at the same time. That way you take advantage of the hitbox thing (strafing gives you more space to avoid being hit while still landing DoTs on the mobs because with a box the diagonal is longer than the length, if you get my meaning).

I tap to maintain a circle small enough to land the dot, but big enough to avoid being hit. The level 2 dot is much harder to land this way though. It's possible the 3rd person/mouse version you are using is more efficient until the level 18 DoT. But with the higher level DoT, it works beautifully, is very easy to see to what's happening and so is more efficient once you get the distances down. It's also very easy to do for long periods as it's not nearly as taxing as mouse strafing.

You *can* land the Level 2 DoT this way, it's just the timing has to be much more precise. You'll need a decent ping to do it I think - which I don't have being in Australia.

Roguedown
06-23-2013, 10:00 AM
OOH thats where im going wrong, i need to bind strafe and turn to the same dam key?

t0lkien
06-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Yes, if you want to use my way. Actually, the guides all suggest you strafe in a circle anyway, even with the mouse (strafe the opposite way to the way you are turning - so if you are making anti-clockwise circles, hold the right strafe key down as well as forward etc.)

My way, I hit auto-run and tap the strafe/turn key continually to make the circle.

Roguedown
06-23-2013, 10:08 AM
so bind turn right and strafe left together? and turn left and strafe right?

t0lkien
06-23-2013, 10:12 AM
My setup is - right arrow key is bound to turn right and strafe right; left arrow key is turn left and strafe left. So if I hold an arrow key down I strafe turn in little circles.

I keep WASD the same. When I'm kiting, my left hand is twisting songs on the number keys, and my right hand is controlling the movement with the arrow keys. I can revert to normal movement anytime by moving to left hand on WASD, right hand on the mouse, and hitting the "change view" key twice to get back to the normal view. For this reason I've bound the change view key to the F button. I need to be able to make a fast transition if things go pear shaped and I have to zone.

Roguedown
06-23-2013, 10:16 AM
you are my hero! that binding turn and strafe at the same time made it 1000x easier

except i used WSAD to move and my arrow keys to twist songs :P

t0lkien
06-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Whatever works :) I've never tried kiting at the level you are. It's much harder.

Roguedown
06-23-2013, 10:56 AM
if its hard to do it at my level then at 18 im going to be a pro lol :P

t0lkien
06-23-2013, 10:57 AM
It really is easy money at 18. I only die to link deaths and lag spikes (oh, and putting my fingers one key down and dropping runsong :) ).

NachtMystium
06-23-2013, 05:57 PM
using new models

stopped watching there

also those keyboard strokes are very annoying idk if there's a way to filter that out...

Gaffin Deeppockets
06-23-2013, 07:52 PM
using new models

stopped watching there

Gaffin Deeppockets
06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Decent music though.

Tasslehofp99
06-23-2013, 08:25 PM
hey man, I had a blast buffing you this morning...haven't gotten much time logged in crushbone so was nice to hang around there a bit. Hope to see you around again in the future man.

t0lkien
06-23-2013, 08:29 PM
It's fun watching someone else do this! Nice stream :)

zanderklocke
06-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Let me know if you need any more help or have any questions.

Roguedown
06-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks everyone! if people want i will turn off the new modles

zanderklocke
06-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Just curious, how memory intensive is streaming on Twitch? I've thought about trying it out when I play Zanderr, but I feel like my game gets hit heavy enough by lag anyway that I have to reduce a lot of settings when I do some things in game.

Roguedown
06-23-2013, 08:51 PM
im not to sure, i would immagen so but i have a high end pc

Hex
06-23-2013, 09:25 PM
You should be alright Zanderr. Like I said in my stream, I have 18 Gigs of memory, and a single GE Force 550i, which is an older card, and don't have any issues in game at all. And I stream at the highest quality that the game will allow me.

zanderklocke
06-23-2013, 09:32 PM
The problem is, I run Project 1999 on a bootcamped iMac which for that reason seems to lead to some lag. I have to run the game through WinEQ2 or it seems to run choppy, and that still isn't quite enough. For example, when I AE kite, I have to turn off spell effects and the sky. I'm not sure my game could handle a video streaming...very good chance that would lead to some deaths while I do some "bard" things. Might be fun to stream when I'm in a regular group though.

Hex
06-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah. Honestly, I'd download Xsplit, and try streaming, and see what it does. Honestly, no offense at all man, you should probably invest in a new computer =)

t0lkien
06-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Just FYI, I run on a MacBook Pro via Bootcamp (on a separate SSD though) and it's gold. No juttering or lag issues at all.