PDA

View Full Version : Fondest memories of EQ?

Halius
06-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Hey All,

I can't help but notice the negativity all the time on the forums here and so I wanted to put up a post just to reflect on some awesome times in the best MMORPG that we all love. Since this server is about reliving the classic experience (which unfortunately does include guild competition for end game), I was hoping we could get some posts about favorite times on Live back in 1999 or even on here. Since I am opening this up I suppose I will start.

My fondest memory was finally getting into a Vox raid for the first time. I remember how fun it was clearing through Permafrost with like 40(ish?) people and experiencing my first raid, and actually knowing about 20 of the people in the raid (back then EQ was about community as we all know). When we finally got to Vox we wiped the first 2 tries as alot of the people attending were 45-46, I was a 49 warrior at the time. When we finally downed her the precious RBB dropped and I was so freaking excited! And then.... I rolled a 3, and a Paladin ended up getting the belt. I was so frustrated but at the same time I was having a great time, I just killed my first huge boss and experienced an awesome raid. Times like that are what made me love MMOs for how great they can be getting people organized together and having fun.

I wish I could still get that same experience on Live but it is just so congested with content now that all that fun has been lost for me. I am hoping to relive that classic experience here, but it is a long way off still as I am only casual and with family obligations now I only have limited time to play. But I still can't wait! Thanks all, and just wanted to share some good memories.

Nocte
06-19-2013, 01:28 PM
I made macros on my rogue that emoted pick-pocket speech akin to damage being taken (i.e. "[mychar] pickpockets YOU for 12 platinum pieces!" and "[mychar] tries to pickpocket you, but misses!")

I had a few hotbars full of these macros, each with random coin amounts so it looked like there was a server roll for the amount "stolen."

Of course, most people saw through it really fast, but the people who fell for it, fell for it HARD. I was reported, petitioned, chased through zones, I chased people through zones. /ooc and /shout were HILARIOUS until the rest of the zone clued them in. I remember one time in particular, my mark at the WFP gate tried to nuke me only to get wiped out by the guards for trying to attack me.

Also, sneaking through a fully-popped Plane of Hate for my Book of Souls. INTENSE. I was happy to get the adrenaline rush to do it again on P99. Nice that some of the excitement is timeless.

eqravenprince
06-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Nothing beats the awe and sense of wonder that first few months of playing EQ. Day 1 of EQ, I still remember being so immersed that when it started raining I ran my newbie Warrior into a building to get out of the rain. Then I realised it is just a game and ran around in the rain. But I also remember being pissed off a Griffin could kill me while I was resting inside an Inn in East Commonlands.

FenninEQaddict
06-19-2013, 01:36 PM
The first time the screaming mace a friend of mine gave me procd. I was like a kid with a new toy running around hitting everything I could find just to see if it would proc. That was the very first thing I remember from eq.

Also there were guilds on Fennin that did events and there were a couple where we tried to invade Rivervale and the first time I entered a dungeon which was runnyeye all those goblins it was a blast.

RevengeofGio
06-19-2013, 01:38 PM
The best moments of EQ were before I knew anything about mmorpgs and I played *only* to have fun with no goal whatsoever.

Halius
06-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Nothing beats the awe and sense of wonder that first few months of playing EQ. Day 1 of EQ, I still remember being so immersed that when it started raining I ran my newbie Warrior into a building to get out of the rain. Then I realised it is just a game and ran around in the rain. But I also remember being pissed off a Griffin could kill me while I was resting inside an Inn in East Commonlands.

Ha so true, that actually just happened to me, well not exactly but I got murdered on my Mage from behind by a Griffin while running through EC.

The first time I actually played the game a friend of mine let me make a character on his PC and I played to level 5 on a cleric I believe. I was so enthralled with the game that I went home and starting saving money to buy a good enough PC to run it lol. I was only 14 at the time and tried to beg my parents to upgrade the PC but it had to be with my money.

Bubbles
06-19-2013, 01:46 PM
One day i was helping another necro friend powerlevel a newer guild member in kedge keep. Our druid buddy logged in and said 'oh hey guys, mind if I come hang?"

We were all 'sure bud, come on down'. And he said he'd be there as soon as he checked to see if Bilge was up in Dagnars.

Bilge wasn't up. And of course he wasn't up, cuz this was a couple years back pre- kunark when only one person on the server killed bilge. He was a blatant SEQ-user and RMTer and whatever.. This was back before this kinda stuff was policed by the GMs (back then there really wasn't a lot of GM involvement on the server side.. They were still dev'n and fixing path nodes and quests and factions and the 8 billion things those poor guys had to deal with to get the server to where it is today.

Anyways our bud found the jerk druid sitting there afk (this was like 2am PST) and he's like 'dude, bilge ain't up, and ol' Ralph is high on his perch. Think he's asleep at the wheel or something. Gonna try and kill him". My necro bud says 'omg coming to help' and druid binds inside unrest and the two of them proceed to try and train someone in perhaps the least dangerous zone on p99 if you are above level 20, much less a 50 druid.

What happens next is perhaps the greatest single achievement in blue server griefing I've ever seen. They got the Cleric BP quest npc goblin up there, they got some tidal lords up there, and Ralph is just taking a slow, slow, creeping death beating. They are scouring the zone for undertow skeletons and feigning them off on him and he's got at least 20 mobs on him plinking him for probably 1-2 dmg a pop. After like 10 minutes of this, ol' Ralph goes down to the cheers of our merry band of goofballs..

And he respawns.

Directly. on. top. of. his. corpse.

Yes, children.. He fell asleep on his bind spot. This is where it gets ugly. For the next hour a steading stream of juggling incoming undead green mobs and keeping the goblins on task knocks Ralph down to 48 (he wasn't /anon for once). The goblins are getting better hits in, but the skeletons and such are still providing only minimal help.

The lower Ralph goes, the quicker it gets.

Fast forward to like 7:30 AM. Ralph's gone from 50 to 37, and it's time to log... job well done. The pile of corpses is massive, the impossible has been achieved.

Feel Good, Inc.

diplo
06-19-2013, 01:47 PM
I was killing the elves by the campfire in qhills and there were a few people camping pyzjn. to my surprise, she spawned right by me with a GBS (i already had one). I killed her and watched as 5 people crowded the corpse waiting until the corpse unlocked to loot it. was pretty funny.

mtb tripper
06-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Probably running through the karanas listening to blackfoot

Harrison'sNewName
06-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Vinshayr the Pumpkin, a real GM, actually doing his job on Live.

Not the chump shit we have now who can't even ban cheaters.

That's one of my fondest memories in EQ. GMs doing their jobs.

Aaron
06-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Vinshayr the Pumpkin, a real GM, actually doing his job on Live.

Not the chump shit we have now who can't even ban cheaters.

That's one of my fondest memories in EQ. GMs doing their jobs.

That's a horrible fondest memory.

Gadwen
06-19-2013, 02:01 PM
A friend and I decided to roll dwarf alts and discord ourselves, just to see how many times we could kill each other in front of Kaladim. We got bored of this task quickly and just started suicide on the guards over and over. I'm not sure how many times we did it, but we created the largest corpse pile I have ever seen. We both ended up going LD, and came back to find the server we were on was down. Once we logged backed in there were 4-5 GMs standing around our corpse piles. Being 14 year olds, we ran up and asked them what was going on. The GMs proceeded to tell us that we crashed the server with our corpse pile, and sent us to jail in the Qeynos aquaducts.

What they didn't think about was the fact that we were both discorded, and they didn't bind us. So we kept killing each other, respawning in BB and going back to watch the GMs clean up the corpse piles and were quickly ported back to jail. We were able to come back and hassle the GMs for about 5-6 respawns each before one came down to qeynos with us and binded us there. He then booted us, changed our names to Flower something, and when we came back he told us that we were now on our last warning.

My friend and I still laugh about this.

Halius
06-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Fast forward to like 7:30 AM. Ralph's gone from 50 to 37, and it's time to log... job well done. The pile of corpses is massive, the impossible has been achieved.

Feel Good, Inc.

Lol at this. I would have loved to see that.

That's a horrible fondest memory.

Yeah seriously, I even said that this supposed to be about good times. Already too much negativity on these forums. :(

Harrison'sNewName
06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
It is about good times.

When a guild got caught pulling mobs through floors on my server, a GM actually came and banned them for doing so. That shit was good times.

Swish
06-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Don't worry too much about the negativity on the forums, people forget that the EQ Live forums were awash with trolls even back in the day.

If you can log in and enjoy the server and its content then none of the crap that gets written here makes any difference :)

I've put my experiences into words a few times on the forums, here's one that's a bit more bizarre...

My first "real" character (that made it to Level 10) was a female high elf wizard on Prexus called Yienie, helped along by the name generator. Was sat at the 3 bandit camp in GFay with a group when a couple of guys started hitting on me, the weirdest shit I ever experienced. Couldn't log out and reroll fast enough, still have the mental scars :D

Halius
06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
My first "real" character (that made it to Level 10) was a female high elf wizard on Prexus called Yienie, helped along by the name generator. Was sat at the 3 bandit camp in GFay with a group when a couple of guys started hitting on me, the weirdest shit I ever experienced. Couldn't log out and reroll fast enough, still have the mental scars :D

Haha, some people are like that, and it's a little weird. I still give my friend shit for always making female characters in games (he is a dude), it's just weird IMO.

Bubbles
06-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Haha, some people are like that, and it's a little weird. I still give my friend shit for always making female characters in games (he is a dude), it's just weird IMO.

I've always played female toons on EMU. Probably comes from playing a high elf male cleric on live. God the memories of male high elves in leather and chain armor give me night terrors to this day.

You wanna talk weird, how can anyone play as a male gnome? Like.. seriously. Thats the kind of thing *I* find weird. Well that and all the male gnomes appear to be 60 years old and the females appear to be 13 going on 8.

Gadwen
06-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Well...everyone likes to do stuff in games that they can't do in real life. For some people it's killing dragons...for others it's being a woman.

Halius
06-19-2013, 02:25 PM
I've always played female toons on EMU. Probably comes from playing a high elf male cleric on live. God the memories of male high elves in leather and chain armor give me night terrors to this day.

You wanna talk weird, how can anyone play as a male gnome? Like.. seriously. Thats the kind of thing *I* find weird. Well that and all the male gnomes appear to be 60 years old and the females appear to be 13 going on 8.

Touche. I actually rolled a male gnome warlock when I played WoW, I guess that is a little weird when I think about it. Point taken.

Uggme
06-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Oh man, I have a ton of really fond memories of my earlier days in EQ. I'll start from earliest to most recent!

1. Kunark is released and I'm level 30. I find myself along with many others in OT grouping. As an Ogre I loved it there. This one druid shows up eventually and starts stealing our pulls. The whole zone was ragging on him but there was nothing we could do. Lo and behold, night rolls around, and he died right in front of us to the pathing Dragoons! The whole zone cheered at his death - was hilarious

2. Duoing with my mage friend in Seb! As a warrior this didn't work too well, but he was uber with his epic pet. I'd melee the mob while his monster backstabbed it. Bandage, repeat! Worked pretty well considering :)

3. Velious! I have amazingly fond memories of being bound right by the bank in Thurgadin. That was the spot, man! When I was ready to do my Dain war all I had to do was go back over there and chat with everyone I had met there. They called in thier guild friends and Viola! I had such a sucsessful ring event that a GM for a raiding guild at the time messaged me and asked if I wanted to join :)

From that point on the rest of my memories are crazy hard core raiding stories. We all know that drill though, lol! Oh, I also fondly remember soloing as a warrior in PoI. I thought I was the shit then =P

t0lkien
06-19-2013, 04:18 PM
One of the most epic moments in EverQuest occured outside the game on one of the forums.

Page 8.

For those who weren't around or don't remember: http://www.brellrants.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2734

Sarius
06-19-2013, 04:29 PM
My favorite memory was getting lost in Kelethin and being so frustrated that I wanted to cry! At least the music was spectacular there.

Sarius
06-19-2013, 04:31 PM
A close second would be the awe and wonder the first time I ran through L Fay. Seeing a unicorn through the darkness and the trees and getting destroyed by a random browine. Fun stuff!

Furinex
06-19-2013, 04:51 PM
The best moments of EQ were before I knew anything about mmorpgs and I played *only* to have fun with no goal whatsoever.

This soooo hard.

FenninEQaddict
06-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Ohhh I forgot all the fun flash movies that came out with the game. Those I still remember fondly.

Swish
06-19-2013, 10:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SxdzgXN.gif

Leddy
06-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Fondest memory.

Finishing my Bard epic quest on live.

edit: When they added /melody and the healing process of my wrist began.

Clark
06-20-2013, 03:53 AM
omg Leddy that signature is hilarious :D

fondest memory for me is pvping with delvled epic rogue on RZ, also pvp with my 65 sham/60 wiz

Messianic
06-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Managing to train FG's into the LDC/Stone Spider areas on people who stole my camp.

Soloing the Froglok King on my monk (sometimes using feign/sneak and bandaging behind him, which restored my hp faster than his regenned naturally).

Quadding in Cobalt Scar.

The first time I entered Skyshrine.

Feign pulling singles in Kael.

The music in Kelethin.

t0lkien
06-20-2013, 01:05 PM
During a long night in our regular KC group, which was the best fun I ever had in EQ, our Dwarven tank called a brief time out because:

"My wife just spawned next to me with a coke."

Pause for general group laughter.

"Her rare drop is a beer."

Halius
06-20-2013, 01:14 PM
During a long night in our regular KC group, which was the best fun I ever had in EQ, our Dwarven tank called a brief time out because:

"My wife just spawned next to me with a coke."

Pause for general group laughter.

"Her rare drop is a beer."

Haha, I wonder if he told her that? KC groups were always a good time for the most part. One of my favorite zones in EQ for sure.

Slowby
06-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Not necessarily my fondest but,
As my first character, a High Elf Paladin, standing outside the Felwtih gates I decided to test my newly purchased spell "Blind" on myself. I cast the spell, my screen went dark, interesting I thought, and when my screen came back to normal I was at my bind point.
Apparently the guards did not take to kindly to my aggressive actions towards myself...
definitely stands out as one of my favorites.

bubur
06-20-2013, 02:39 PM
One of the most epic moments in EverQuest occured outside the game on one of the forums.

Page 8.

For those who weren't around or don't remember: http://www.brellrants.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2734

Thanks first time I saw that. Many chuckles and once full blown laughter ensued. Lots of nostalgia enjoyed too.

I miss the old days :( (no i was not brellian)

Rhambuk
06-20-2013, 02:43 PM
In the first few weeks of play I was running around on my dwarf rogue in butcherblock. Naturally i got lost and winded up in one of the huts near Gfay. After hailing blacksmithing npcs for about 5 minutes trying to get a response i opened the door and BOOM a giant scarab. Up until this point I had only seen the smaller ones near kaladim entrance. I flipped immediately shut the door to the hut ran and hid behind the merchant npc's thinking oh my god im gonna die this thing is going to murder me i have no idea where i am or how to get my body back.

After a few minutes i opened the door and it wandered away, i peaked out so slowly looked left, then right. and bolted down the path towards xroads, just as i went around the corner of the hut there it was. Scared shitless again i turned and ran in the opposite direction off the path and into the hills. again being lost and finding the ogre tower, but they got the jump on me.

Opening that door and seeing the giant scarab is something I will never forget, makes me laugh to this day.

Ezrick
06-20-2013, 03:38 PM
In literally the opening few days of EQ my ranger stared longinly at the vendor in Qeynos that sold leather armor. I looked at my meager funds, just 36 gold, and realized it was going to take FOREVER to save up another 80 gold so I could have one of those platinum pieces and a bit more to buy a single piece of armor.

Yeah, I though 100gp=1pp

Rhambuk
06-20-2013, 03:49 PM
In literally the opening few days of EQ my ranger stared longinly at the vendor in Qeynos that sold leather armor. I looked at my meager funds, just 36 gold, and realized it was going to take FOREVER to save up another 80 gold so I could have one of those platinum pieces and a bit more to buy a single piece or armor.

Yeah, I though 100gp=1pp

lol reminds me of sitting in kaladim looking at all the Fine plate armor the blacksmiths sold, added it all up and thought how can anyone afford this stuff!?

I dont think anyone ever bought a piece...

Halius
06-20-2013, 04:31 PM

Page 8.

Holy crap that was a read! I loved it though, freakin' funny how he totally f'ed himself in the end. Excellent post.

Nirgon
06-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Killing people and looting items.

Freeport vs Neriak wars / "known kin slayers".

gotrocks
06-20-2013, 07:03 PM
tolkien, that was the best fuckin read i've had in a looong time. so glad i clicked that.

Morlaeth
06-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks first time I saw that. Many chuckles and once full blown laughter ensued. Lots of nostalgia enjoyed too.

I miss the old days :( (no i was not brellian)

I was a Brellian - this was hilarious.

Sadre Spinegnawer
06-20-2013, 08:46 PM
google "darkoor cyber mistell"

ah yes, those were the days. viral before viral became a thing.

Lojik
06-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Dropping a trail of gold pieces around qeynos that lead into the guard house. When newbies would pick up all the coins, my friend (invisible ogre) would block the door. Great times. Sometimes they would freak out and attack the guards...so we'd apologize and give them a few plat.

Ahldagor
06-20-2013, 10:14 PM
shootin the shit while selling wares in ec. played on prexus and lagged so bad on my 56k that i'd park at t3 and face the wall. start selling then chatting with everyone around or in ooc. that's tied with a hilarious sarnak fort group i was in for for 4or5 hours, we had the whole fort to ourselves, and a druid that was killing bloodgils would buff us every now and then.

t0lkien
06-20-2013, 10:40 PM
tolkien, that was the best fuckin read i've had in a looong time. so glad i clicked that.

Haha I know right! I wonder what that guy is doing now. That was such an epic failure. I actually posted a few times in that thread, but the Word doc is an edited version of it. It was actually much bigger on the boards.

gortimer
06-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Long ago me and a pal rolled gnome wizards. We lvled to 8 and then proceeded to kill elves in gfay. We happened upon a tree that only gnomes could crawl into. It was big enough so that elves couldn't attack us once inside of it. At that time a lvl 8 wizard could kill a lvl 1 in a single spell. So we would kill as many as we could and then run to that tree and slowly pick off the gang of elves trying to kill us. The comments in shout were by far the most rewarding thing I have ever felt.

LiQuid
06-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Fondest memory in EQ was completing my ranger epics while in a small, casual guild thru help from one of the top 3 raiding guilds on Prexus. Unfortunately that will never be replicated on P99.

Aabdel
06-21-2013, 03:32 PM
One of my fondest memories was hide/sneaking on my halfling rogue through the temple of solusek ro during part of the burning rapier quest and hesitating to do the turn in for fear of being KoS. think i sat there for like 10 minutes before i actually sacked-up and took hide off haha. The fear of being in an unfamiliar area and actually having consequences to dying other than maybe losing a little xp was something no other mmorpg has. EQ made dying actually scary, which only added to the immersion.

Another favorite moment would have to be starting a guild with my brother and a friend that only allowed dwarves, halflings, and gnomes. Think it was just called Short People (we were very creative at 12 years old haha), but gathering up the people while we waited for GM's to approve the charter was a blast.

Halius
06-21-2013, 03:41 PM
One of my fondest memories was hide/sneaking on my halfling rogue through the temple of solusek ro during part of the burning rapier quest and hesitating to do the turn in for fear of being KoS. think i sat there for like 10 minutes before i actually sacked-up and took hide off haha. The fear of being in an unfamiliar area and actually having consequences to dying other than maybe losing a little xp was something no other mmorpg has. EQ made dying actually scary, which only added to the immersion.

Another favorite moment would have to be starting a guild with my brother and a friend that only allowed dwarves, halflings, and gnomes. Think it was just called Short People (we were very creative at 12 years old haha), but gathering up the people while we waited for GM's to approve the charter was a blast.

Yeah that is one thing that I love/hate about EQ that no other game had. Actually made you think about your decisions instead of just saying "ehh, if I die I'll just run back and try again since I won't lose any gear or exp."

"You have lost experience, you are now Level ...."

Aaron
06-21-2013, 04:27 PM
I had a ranger before Kunark was ever released. There are several milestones that I still remember:

-Completing the quest for my Short Sword of Morin.
-Trading in my SSoM to finally dual-wield Electrum Bladed Wakizashis. I thought I was a DPS machine (before we called it DPS).
-Completing my Green Ivy Tunic quest.
-My first trip to PoF.

And basically, the newness of everything. Not knowing what anything was or what to do our how things interacted yet.

I remember travelling from Qeynos to Freeport for the first time. I made it to WC and happened up on a Troll SK and Necro killing the FP guards. I was genuinely scared. I didn't know players could kill guards. I didn't know that these were players. I hid behind a building and watched them for a bit and when I thought they weren't looking, I bolted.

Can't relive something like that.

Aabdel
06-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah that is one thing that I love/hate about EQ that no other game had. Actually made you think about your decisions instead of just saying "ehh, if I die I'll just run back and try again since I won't lose any gear or exp."

"You have lost experience, you are now Level ...."

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1044954_688252084537581_1740204292_n.jpg