PDA

View Full Version : Can barbs still AoE kite?

Roguedown
06-17-2013, 10:01 PM
i just started playing again after not playing for ummm......... like 10 years lol anyways can barbs still kit like a full zone at once?

Trazic
06-17-2013, 10:03 PM
By barbarian do you mean warrior? And by AoE kite do you mean shakerpage? If so... Not on this server.

Roguedown
06-17-2013, 10:07 PM
err ya bards**

tacite
06-18-2013, 02:15 AM
Absolutely, the amount of stuff you can kite on a bard (that doesn't summon or cast) is limited only by your computer. In off-peak hours I've done 200+ mob trains in Frontier Mountains when alone in the zone, low hp kiting with a partner.

Wudan
06-18-2013, 02:28 AM
Absolutely, the amount of stuff you can kite on a bard (that doesn't summon or cast) is limited only by your computer. In off-peak hours I've done 200+ mob trains in Frontier Mountains when alone in the zone, low hp kiting with a partner.

Can you please explain low hp aggro kiting? How is it done?

Zallar
06-18-2013, 03:04 AM
Bard gets low HP so it's at blood aggro status. Mob train will not switch to the partner no matter how much dps they drop on it.

Bard = Bait
Partner = DPS

t0lkien
06-18-2013, 03:19 AM
I don't see the point in low HP kiting when you can just AoE much more effectively (and it's safer surely - one mistake/lag spike at low HP and you're toast).

isoka
06-18-2013, 03:38 AM
The bait (low hp guy) isn't doing damage. He just runs the mobs in a huge circle, with a long distance between him and the train. His partner runs in the pack of mobs AoEing without any danger because the whole pack is chasing the bait.

Hope it makes some sense to you now t0lkien

t0lkien
06-18-2013, 03:44 AM
Yeah I think I understand how it works... it's just a weird way to go when AoE kiting is as effective without the risk and you can do it alone. A lag spike is going to own you in either scenario though, I guess.

HitMePat
06-18-2013, 05:34 AM
How does the bait bard avoid regenning up during the fight? Iirc, it took a pretty log time to get a group of mobs dead with just aoes.

Kagatob
06-18-2013, 05:55 AM
How does the bait bard avoid regenning up during the fight? Iirc, it took a pretty log time to get a group of mobs dead with just aoes.

Best bait is a druid, they cast form of the great wolf or better which runs them well ahead of the swarm, they can then nuke themselves down with low lvl nukes to keep them under 20%.

t0lkien
06-18-2013, 05:58 AM
I've never done this, but Bards can also DoT/Nuke themselves. Just twist in Denon's or Bellow for a bit.

wc4482
06-18-2013, 07:02 AM
Bait Bard targets self and uses single target chants to lower their HP to around 15%. I don't think aoe dots will work.

falkun
06-18-2013, 07:29 AM
I don't see the point in low HP kiting when you can just AoE much more effectively (and it's safer surely - one mistake/lag spike at low HP and you're toast).
When you are low-hp aggro kiting, the bait can be well ahead of the pack, out of cast range even. Therefore you have additional margin for error/lag than when you are soloing and have to be outside of melee range yet inside of PBAoE-DoT range.
Bard gets low HP so it's at blood aggro status. Mob train will not switch to the partner no matter how much dps they drop on it.
Completely incorrect. Low HP aggro is a modifier, the same as 'sit'. If you go above the low HP threshold, the modifier is instantly lost. If the DPSer does enough damage to overcome the modified threshold, the pack will turn and kill the DPSer.
The low HP kiter needs a way to keep his HPs down. This can be achieved through multiple means, including stopping the natural regeneration through hunger, taking strategic fall damage, and/or utilizing DoTs and nukes.

Roguedown
06-18-2013, 08:10 AM
I have been doing the strafe kitting since im only level 3, the range nerf on the aoe makes it a lot more...... fun i guess since now i actually have to try lol and im pretty much naked so if i mess up i die rather fast :P

wc4482
06-18-2013, 11:18 AM
I have been doing the strafe kitting since im only level 3, the range nerf on the aoe makes it a lot more...... fun i guess since now i actually have to try lol and im pretty much naked so if i mess up i die rather fast :P

Level 2 DoT range is 25 meters and Level 18 DoT range is 30 meters. If you get good with level 2 kiting, you will be amazing when you hit level 18!!!

Estu
06-18-2013, 11:41 AM

It's generally suggested for bards on this server to wait until you get the higher-range song at level 18 to AOE kite, but if you can manage with the level 2 song then more power to you.

Fael
06-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Any class with sow pots is a perfectly fine bait. I've done it on alt bards with monks, warriors, etc. Shamen, druid, necros tend to make it easier.

Dolic

Wudan
06-22-2013, 04:59 AM
how does the bait/puller builds the initial aggro? Do you just hit each mob once and low hp takes care of the rest? Ive tried it with partner, but when i started to dps the pack it split in 2 one staying on partner and the oher started chasing me...partner was at 16% hp. Any idea why it did not work?

Karafa
06-22-2013, 05:24 AM
I do it with a Cleric/Shaman/Necro depending on who's on and what they want to play. The shaman obviously sow's himself, while the other 2 use Jboots. I (the bard) will pull everything I possibly can in a mob such as DL. The necro/cleric/shaman will starve themselves and lich/canni/fall damage/nuke themselves down to around 11% or so. I'll round up the mobs tighten em up a bit, and he will heal me as I bring them in from low HP and instantly get the agro. I then twist my two aoe's while he runs semi-wide circles. If the bait ends up getting near 16/17% I just either selos them ahead far enough to cast on themselves or have 'em take fall damage.

It's extremely efficient, and leveling any other way seems tedious after you've had a taste!

Any class can do this as long as they have an effective means of obtaining agro on the swarm, and sow pots/jboots.

tacite
06-22-2013, 10:35 AM
how does the bait/puller builds the initial aggro? Do you just hit each mob once and low hp takes care of the rest? Ive tried it with partner, but when i started to dps the pack it split in 2 one staying on partner and the oher started chasing me...partner was at 16% hp. Any idea why it did not work?

Mobs under a certain level ignore low HP aggro, I think it was a (merciful?) feature built in to EQ to stop groups with lowbies getting a person steamrolled for making a mistake. The earliest spot I've found to low hp kite with no issues is the sarnak fort in LOIO, whereas the 'easy' side of OT will split the swarm, so I'm guessing the cut off is about level 21.

Sithel1988
06-22-2013, 02:53 PM
yes bards are still welcome to come and pull entire zones, and we welcome you with open arms sellawiz. have a good one!

Roguedown
06-22-2013, 09:20 PM
yes bards are still welcome to come and pull entire zones, and we welcome you with open arms sellawiz. have a good one!

What people have been describing on this thread and from other post i have read, this is not what i remember doing as a bard.... im not saying people didnt do it like that back in the day but i only remember taking 4-5 mobs at a time :/

citizen1080
06-22-2013, 09:52 PM
What people have been describing on this thread and from other post i have read, this is not what i remember doing as a bard.... im not saying people didnt do it like that back in the day but i only remember taking 4-5 mobs at a time :/

Your thinking of a swarm kite most likely...a small one at that. I used to swarm(charm) kite the entire island of cougars in iceclad at once. You pretty much had to cast invis right after your charm landed otherwise the swarm would kill ur pet before you could break charm.