PDA

View Full Version : Ranger weapons and offhand ratio.

Rhambuk
06-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Twinking my ranger and I was just going to go dual lammies for leveling then going over the list I started to wonder. First to figure ratio its delay divided by damage right? and the lower the ratio the better?

I know its minor, and more aesthetic than anything, but Green jade axe has a slightly better ratio, assuming lower is better, than lammy for offhand.

just curious on opinions and how other people have done it, Thanks

Beaniron
06-09-2013, 12:48 PM
What are lammies? And I would go with a JSoM for a Ranger early on. They're not too expensive I think/

Rhambuk
06-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Lamentation 9/19 6str/sta 20hp

Tecmos Deception
06-09-2013, 01:15 PM
If you're going to dual wield droppables, sebilite croaking dirk + green jade axe is probably about as good as it gets (unless you really want to shell out some cash for a better offhand, like jagged blade of mourning or edge of the nightwalker). If you don't want to spend quite that much money, just use a lupine dagger (you'll want it for the proc eventually anyway) and jade mace or something. Lamentations have some stats, but I don't think 12 str and some hp is going to be better than a better ratio on the 9/18 stuff.

Of course, woodsman's staff > whatever you're going to dual wield before vp or epics.

Rhambuk
06-09-2013, 01:53 PM
was just looking over weapons on the ranger wiki, seb croaking dirk isnt listed and neither is woodsmans staff.

ooh just looked up the staff, love 2h on a ranger would prefer a sword but still this might be the one i end up going after.

Thanks tecmo

fullmetalcoxman
06-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Seb croaking dirk is war/bard/rogue useable, no ranja.

Tecmos Deception
06-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Seb croaking dirk is war/bard/rogue useable, no ranja.

Oops :(

Tecmos Deception
06-09-2013, 05:51 PM
was just looking over weapons on the ranger wiki, seb croaking dirk isnt listed and neither is woodsmans staff.

ooh just looked up the staff, love 2h on a ranger would prefer a sword but still this might be the one i end up going after.

Thanks tecmo

Np. Got the staff on my 26 ranger right now and it his for 90+ frequently, 100 max so far, 60 is the sweet spot. It's not ideal before 20 because of the damage caps, but as soon as you hit 20 it jumps from hitting for 28 sweet spot to 60 and it is amazing. I used a silver swiftblade 1-19, nice and fast 2h! :)

Estu
06-10-2013, 08:13 AM
If you want a 2H sword, silver swiftblade would be a good contender. Much lower delay than woodsman's staff so it would benefit more from damage bonus as you level. Don't know if this would make up for the worse ratio, though.

Rhambuk
06-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I just like sword for aesthetics, ill probly end up using lammy lupine in group and woodsman staff for solo.

Thanks much guys!

lecompte
06-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Dunno if this thread is over and done but I'm going to share my input:
Mainhand: Fast weapons in main hand. Lupine, lamentation. You put your fast weapon in the main hand because a damage bonus is applied to mainhand that doesn't exist in offhand.
Offhand: Best ratio with no concern for delay for offhand. Green Jade Axe is great if you can find one.
Twohanded: Woodman's Staff is great and really shows value soloing when you mix in nukes.

One handers are going to show stable DPS far more often than two handers. If I have a weapon that swings once every 10 seconds, and can hit for 0-160 with a chance of double, I will do between 0 and 320 damage. Potentially I could do 0 damage in over 50 seconds or 1600 damage. Overtime, several fights, that damage will equalize at a certain DPS but from fight to fight it is... hit or miss (not intended) . Parsing I show fights at 30DPS and fights at 72DPS with a two hander. With one handers, I'm pretty stable at 45-52 DPS because with more hits you're DPS has more datapoints to find equilibrium.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Tecmos Deception
06-10-2013, 04:30 PM
What does steady damage really matter in the ridiculously-long grind of leveling up, though?

lecompte
06-10-2013, 05:03 PM
It doesn't, all about amusement! Which is why I use the Steel Hilted Flint Dagger and get to show off a 175DPS report once a week.

lecompte
06-11-2013, 01:24 PM
What does steady damage really matter in the ridiculously-long grind of leveling up, though?

Reading that I a third time I decided that may be a serious question. It matters cause you may have to zone mobs that you could have killed with one handers. If a ranger can only take a mob for 3 minutes and you are missing a lot with a two hander cause it is putting you on the low side of the damage spectrum, you may have to zone. With one handers you would (for the same of example, not always) use 50% of your life per mob, where as with a two hander you may use 10% or 90% and then have to zone.

But that only matters when Ranger is the only DPS, so kinda moot in a group setting I guess and even solo I would prob take the Woodsman if I didn't have a lot of haste cause I could mix in nukes.

fennixad
06-11-2013, 02:44 PM
The only way to do "dps" pre-epic is woodsmans staff + nuke beetween swings, no matter you spent 500k on weapons, u wont do better dps than other dps class.
Ranger is the wrost dps class in the game. Useless in raid, usefull in groups (a well player ranger) and this is a problem. You must forge a reputation or u wont find groups.

Hope its heals! gl.

Aaron
06-11-2013, 03:41 PM
The only way to do "dps" pre-epic is woodsmans staff + nuke beetween swings, no matter you spent 500k on weapons, u wont do better dps than other dps class.
Ranger is the wrost dps class in the game. Useless in raid, usefull in groups (a well player ranger) and this is a problem. You must forge a reputation or u wont find groups.

Hope its heals! gl.

Paladins have significantly less DPS than Rangers. And SK's barely more than Paladins.

lecompte
06-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Ya, that is mostly wrong. At 59, I out DPS monks and rogues under 55, warriors, SKs, and Paladins. You did say "other dps class" and so I'll say you were just talking about rogues and monks. I can beat a 60 monk sometimes -- not often, and a rogue if they screw up their backstabs but yes, if you just mean MONK/ROGUE at 60, a ranger will lose.

You do need to form a reputation but not to compensate for your class, but for the exp penalty.

Yes, I started a sentence with a preposition -- deal.

Beaniron
06-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Hope its heals! gl.

Rangers have Kick, which does more damage than the Bash that Pallies and SK's have (sans the Stun effect). Rangers have both Dual Wield AND Double Attack, whereas Pallies and SK's have one, and Bards have the other, but Rangers are the only hybrids that get both.

Rangers have solid DPS with the right weapons, especially post-epic. They're not gonna beat a Monk or a Rogue in raw DPS, but they can contend with Warriors (dots, small nukes, and archery crits vs a Warriors melee crits), and they beat out Pallies, SK's, and Bards.

Offensively, Rangers are fine. It's their defensive aspect that suffers, having weaker defense because of Chain armor, and lower maximum caps with Dodge, Parry, and Riposte.

koros
06-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Rangers will do nearly equal to DPS to warriors just meleeing. They can also add 1200 damage a minute in fast cast nukes, and during quick fights (within the first minute) they can do 450, melee round, 206, melee for 18 seconds, 206 again, 18 more seconds of melee, 206, melee round, 450, and then 12 seconds more of melee, 206, that's 1700 spell damage + 50ish dps in melee at 60. Basically ~80 dps, their is nothing wrong with rangers offensively.

Beaniron
06-16-2013, 04:06 AM
I was actually thinking of making a Ranger.

Was gonna try for this sort of gear: Lammie x2, Diamondine Earring x2, 55HP ring x2, FBSS, full Ivy Etched armor.

Gustoo
06-16-2013, 10:14 PM
If you are soloing or in a group without a class that can slow, a ranger should absolutely be using a swarmcaller.

Rangers do great. Back on live people didn't really understand EXP penalty like they do now, and now rangers are much more shunned than they ever were.

Just be a good player and have a good time.

Beaniron - don't go for "full" anything armor. Some pieces of ivy etched are worth getting, much is not worth getting. Get the highest AC items you can...many of them are cheap. Str and Sta helps a lot too. 2 lamentations is fun for the look and the stats make you feel less weak, so that is cool. Get all of the cheap pieces of tolans for the high AC that will keep you alive when you accidentally grab aggro or something.

Rangers rule.

Messianic
06-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Silver Swiftblade until 20, Woodsman's staff until epic.

/thread

fennixad
06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Paladins have significantly less DPS than Rangers. And SK's barely more than Paladins.

Read my post again. Rangers have the worst dps than anyother DPS class. is paladin a dps class? didnt know, i though paladins was tanks.

fennixad
06-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Rangers have Kick, which does more damage than the Bash that Pallies and SK's have (sans the Stun effect). Rangers have both Dual Wield AND Double Attack, whereas Pallies and SK's have one, and Bards have the other, but Rangers are the only hybrids that get both.

Rangers have solid DPS with the right weapons, especially post-epic. They're not gonna beat a Monk or a Rogue in raw DPS, but they can contend with Warriors (dots, small nukes, and archery crits vs a Warriors melee crits), and they beat out Pallies, SK's, and Bards.

Offensively, Rangers are fine. It's their defensive aspect that suffers, having weaker defense because of Chain armor, and lower maximum caps with Dodge, Parry, and Riposte.

1: read please. i said DPS class
2: sure, join tmo or you wont get your epic
3: ranger are not fine, just fun :)

fennixad
06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Ya, that is mostly wrong. At 59, I out DPS monks and rogues under 55, warriors, SKs, and Paladins. You did say "other dps class" and so I'll say you were just talking about rogues and monks. I can beat a 60 monk sometimes -- not often, and a rogue if they screw up their backstabs but yes, if you just mean MONK/ROGUE at 60, a ranger will lose.

You do need to form a reputation but not to compensate for your class, but for the exp penalty.

Yes, I started a sentence with a preposition -- deal.

Lecompte i know you are pretty skilled, but if you out dps a monk/rogue at 60, tell them to delete eq and play hello kitty. a monk with epic/haste will out dps you naked.

Aaron
06-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Read my post again. Rangers have the worst dps than anyother DPS class. is paladin a dps class? didnt know, i though paladins was tanks.

I read it as worst dps of the classes in the game. You worded it kinda dumb.

So they're the worst DPS of the three classes you want to include them with. And only barely.

That's like saying SK's are the worst tanks in the game.

Or rangers are middle of the road of all the melee classes in the game, since they out-dps bards significantly.

lecompte
06-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Lecompte i know you are pretty skilled, but if you out dps a monk/rogue at 60, tell them to delete eq and play hello kitty. a monk with epic/haste will out dps you naked.

I don't even think this merits a reply but I will go with... you're wrong. This game is based on DnD and sometimes people roll 1, over and over again, while smeone else is rolling 20 back to back. Happens in DnD, happens here. A rogue is rare, a monk not so much. Get up to 60, run a parser and let me know what the result it.

Prodigal Explorer
06-27-2013, 01:39 PM
What about for a Noobie Ranger who can't afford a woodsman staff? What are some weapons that I should keep my eye out for that are reasonably priced?

Also, should I even bother going for 2h if I don't have a Woodman's Staff?