PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Permafrost, Solusek eye, Runny eye and classic Goblin AI

Nizzarr
07-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Goblin AI. It should be similar to undead AI! why isnt it so? :P

I remember cruising in solusek eye and permafrost to farm shit on my lvl 50 druid.. I had to snipe those see invis from a safe corner to get by them.

All those goblins used to aggro instantly if you ran next to them.

Also for sola, Gnomes should kill goblins when they get too close.

.it pulled 5 or 6 inferno's back onto us and that was the end of that. The captain drops some nice charred stuff, gaunts and boots (~~300pp each). Once you have cleaned the Captain room, pull to there. Remember to have your timer set (18 minutes), and don’t let your healers get low on mana before the next repop. It can get ugly fast. The closest escape is run these nasties to the gnomes...LOL...they are KoS to the gnomes, and unless you are too, no sweat ;)

These zones are made trivial because of the unexistent undead AI on these goblins. Please make those zones interesting again :) Thanks!

They practically share the same AI in kunark, Green goblins will aggro on you in all other dungeons(mines of drolga.. and the other ones I cannot recall!) and Green gobbos will aggro in frontier mountains/Warsliks wood and what not :)

Hope that helps!~

guineapig
07-02-2010, 11:48 AM
You should probably post some evidence of this.

Currently they agro if you try to meditate but I honestly don't remember green con goblins always attacking players. Not saying your wrong, but the devs will want evidence to support this.

Dersk
07-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I recall sola and perma goblins attacking regardless of the level difference, so I checked, and on live they still attack a level 80.

Nizzarr
12-20-2010, 03:40 PM
I recall sola and perma goblins attacking regardless of the level difference, so I checked, and on live they still attack a level 80.

bump

yes sola = Eye. This is a great place for someone in your level, exp is like another paldul! Only catch is goblins can get nasty. Wizards and shaman both nuke hard and shamans slow and root also, try to stay away from them. Goblins aggro alot, have high aggro when you attack another goblin, and even greens will attack you if you run past them. Not many people fight here though, shame... best exp i've seen for mid20s-lower30s

The worst parts about this place:
-Goblins aggro on everyone almost without exception, with little to no regard for level. Don't expect invis to help you move around- basically any magic user in this dungeon sees invis. Young goblins backstab. Shamans can sow themselves (even though this is an indoor zone, go figure), and the wizards...well read below for them.

Need undead aggro now!

guineapig
12-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Well if this is proven to be classic there is only one major problem I have with the change taking place.

It won't stop level 50's from farming all the rare drops. All it's going to do is eliminate parts of Sola from being a viable exp spot for mid-level characters because the goblins will get slaughtered en-mass by these high level players for senseless things like medding purposes.

But if that's the way it was then so be it I guess. Personally I think if this gets changed it should be held off on till Kunark though for the sake of people looking to exp.

Aadill
12-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Actually, that would only happen the one time that a high level char runs through.

guineapig
12-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Actually, that would only happen the one time that a high level char runs through.

If I'm hanging out trying to get a rare drop off Kindle (for example) then I have to clear all the goblins that are going to aggro on me every spawn cycle. Maybe not the best example but you get the idea. If it's a heavily populated area and the level 50 didn't get his drop right away he might be there for a while, in some cases a long while.

Permafrost would be even worse since you tend to see one person camping multiple named mobs. The agro won't stop him, he'll simply keep half the zone dead.

Aadill
12-20-2010, 04:24 PM
If groups usually clear near Kindle I'm sure that they'd be happy to take the xp off your hands :) Suffice to say, I can't wait to have to slaughter gobbos and not have to make excuses up for why I'm attacking greens, if this goes in.

Nizzarr
12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Let's make things classic IMO! This needs to be changed for kunark anyway! Nilbog aggros on everyone!

Aadill
12-20-2010, 04:34 PM
I do recall dying on my wizard due a train of green gobbos out in Kunark. When I was on the beta server I was checking Grachnist since he was up in about 9 different places.. didn't even think about the lack of agro from any of the mobs, there.

Technically isn't this also a Kunark bug report, too, then? All gobbos must die!

guineapig
12-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I agree with replicating classic. I just think this particular change would make more sense and be more beneficial to the community at large if it was held off on a bit.

(Doesn't actually effect me at all as I very rarely ever visit SolA or Perma, be it with high level or low level character.)

Nizzarr
12-20-2010, 04:38 PM
If I'm hanging out trying to get a rare drop off Kindle (for example) then I have to clear all the goblins that are going to aggro on me every spawn cycle. Maybe not the best example but you get the idea. If it's a heavily populated area and the level 50 didn't get his drop right away he might be there for a while, in some cases a long while.

Permafrost would be even worse since you tend to see one person camping multiple named mobs. The agro won't stop him, he'll simply keep half the zone dead.

Seriously? you think a druid or wizard gonna have fun camping nameds in that place when all the casters see invis and aggro? It was made that way to prevent camping of all these mobs!

How do you think a druid will kill all the nameds in sola anymore with goblins w/ undead aggro? heres a quick answer: they wont.

especially if the 18 minute respawn goes in!

baub
12-20-2010, 04:42 PM
I agree with replicating classic. I just think this particular change would make more sense and be more beneficial to the community at large if it was held off on a bit.

(Doesn't actually effect me at all as I very rarely ever visit SolA or Perma, be it with high level or low level character.)

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the community if instead we gave them the classic experience they have been waiting years for?

Jihadist goblins go, go, go!

guineapig
12-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Seriously? you think a druid or wizard gonna have fun camping nameds in that place when all the casters see invis and aggro? It was made that way to prevent camping of all these mobs!

How do you think a druid will kill all the nameds in sola anymore with goblins w/ undead aggro? heres a quick answer: they wont.

especially if the 18 minute respawn goes in!

Now replace druid and wizard with Mage, Enchanter, Necro, or even monk and Bard. Who cares if they have fun camping the named mobs? The point is people will continue to camp them.

I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm just saying the people trying to exp in these zones will suffer the most.

No skin off my nose at all if the change takes place, I just don't think you guys are thinking this through 100% with the current state of the server population.

Ralexia
12-20-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't remember the gnomes being kos to the goblins. The elementals by the reckless efreeti on the other hand, are kos to the goblins.

Conveniently, the elementals are KOS to all other denizens of Sol A, while the efreeti is indifferent... a fact you can exploit as follows.

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~retrac/everquest/solA-guide.html

phantom
12-21-2010, 12:25 AM
The Runneyeye goblins weren't undead-like, dunno about the others.

baub
12-21-2010, 01:14 AM
The Runneyeye goblins weren't undead-like, dunno about the others.

So far I cannot solo, because too many greens swamp me from 2nd floor down, and when I bring a Warrior friend, we both died and decided against the dungeon.
The main reason we were going there were for drops (not in exp either).

I thought that Varent had fixed the greeny aggro problem. There is nothing more irritating than walking in here and having 6 greens jump you and no give you exp. I know that some greens that are close to being blue attack and that's okay, but the darn things that have no buisness attacking you should leave you alone. It's like walking into a swarm of mesquito's for crying out loud, they're always nipping at me and it's a pain in the butt!!

Runnyeye can be a tricky place. Even with my lvl 56 druid ALL mobs here tend to attack me when I am not invisible and ALL mobs here will aid each other if you attack one. One false move here can result in a major train, so better prevend runners at all. I suggest getting a good well ballanced group to hunt here, starting at mid 20s.

I'm sure I could spend an additional 3 minutes and find even more people complaining about it =P

Itchybottom
12-21-2010, 01:28 AM
I'm sure I could spend an additional 3 minutes and find even more people complaining about it =P

I've done this (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15011) before, nothing came of it.

Nizzarr
11-14-2011, 03:14 PM
bumping a year old thread

Nizzarr
11-14-2011, 03:25 PM
The rule is.. if its an humanoid/undead it will aggro you if you're kos. no matter the level.

Assist rules apply, if you get aggroed by a goblin and theres 2 other nearby, they will aggro as well.

kinda sad were two years into the server and this wasnt brought up more often.

Brinkman
11-16-2011, 12:22 AM
The rule is.. if its an humanoid/undead it will aggro you if you're kos. no matter the level.

Assist rules apply, if you get aggroed by a goblin and theres 2 other nearby, they will aggro as well.

kinda sad were two years into the server and this wasnt brought up more often.

Ive always felt something was missing with green cons, but never could place it. This is what ive been missing. I do recall some sort of lvl threshold, where greens will agro, and then they stop. Or is it frogs only that I am thinking of?

Nizzarr
11-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Its pretty much everything brinkman, as far as level 25 being the treshold, im not certainly sure. I remember every and any goblins aggroing. And there is plenty of under 25 goblins in perma. Might be different for other kind of humanoids.

I also miss the green con guards aggro!

nilbog
04-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Bump.

Vohl
04-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Definitely not classic, at least on fire goblins and lower. This change, along with the mob flight mechanic, makes soloing impossible for PCs lacking root and snare -- something that certainly was possible in classic EQ.

YendorLootmonkey
04-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Here's some evidence for Upper Guk at least:

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-41.html

"Viscera
01-06-2000, 13:36
At L52, everything still aggroes me that did at L34. Gaz knights will occasionally aggro, along with all tons. However, sometimes you can run by them quickly enough so that the aggro check doesn't happen when you are n aggro range (which I think by experience may be every 2 seconds or so)."

kanras
04-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Plenty of stuff to be found on the old newsgroups proving this. Just one example:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.everquest/browse_thread/thread/148fd5c7af6a1e3d/eabba9e2e0afd64f?lnk=gst&q=%22green+aggro%22+goblin#eabba9e2e0afd64f

Yondiloons
04-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Clearly this thread has evidence of this being classic, everyones argument for not making the change is some type of variation of that it will be harder which is an outrageously rediculous argument and goes against what this server is about. Classic is too hard then play something else. We're here because of the classic changes made in this server and saying that the game would be too hard if this classic change occurred is idiotic.

The evidence is here, its classic, it should me implemented

Yondiloons
04-22-2012, 02:17 PM
it looks like this might have been fixed? someone complaining in another bug report that green goblins are aggroing in sola now

Vohl
04-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Green aggro *did* happen, but not with Sol A young goblins -- which currently happens on 99Red. I don't recall flame goblin aggro ever occurring either, once they greened out. The aggro AI probably needed a tweak, but I'm pretty sure the green aggro level is currently way lower than was the case on live servers.

kanras
04-22-2012, 02:41 PM
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.everquest/browse_thread/thread/2c118f0e5cf164ff/07aba1045c26966c?lnk=gst&q=level+18+green+aggro#07aba1045c26966c

Level 15 green won't aggro.
Level 18+ green will. Try it near some 18+ green froggies and you'll
see a wall of hopping pissed off frogs wanting a piece of your hide
(ie., try it near some shins, noks, tons, etc... and you'll see what I mean)

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.everquest/browse_thread/thread/791616c5882fa906/84ed70cc9f59bdea?lnk=gst&q=level+18+green+aggro#84ed70cc9f59bdea

Upper Guk- Always hard to find a group(since the beginning). Faily
good items for the level, but at level 36, i still tend to pull a full room
of greenies (ie- aggro set too high). Trains galore if your not careful.
Sol A- What can i say? Every single thing there attacks me at level
36. I ran out of mana using Enstill-Atone combo. I was in the bar once..
good exp there with a full group, but the frustratingly high aggro doesnt
justify it.
Permafrost- This is my all time "hate" zone. I hate it, i hate it, i
hate it! The level 18 goblin at the entrance will aggro on me sometimes...
and from there, they all aggro.

Everything I've read says level 18 is the cutoff.

Vohl
04-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Hmm. The linked posts were complaints about zone behavior which I mostly didn't experience. My monk was only around 30 when Kunark came out, so what I consider "classic" may well post-date the linked articles.

Edit: I *do* remember having to FD flop into LGuk due to green aggro until I fixed my faction. The aggro would start at or shortly after the spider bridge room (above where Tempus lurks).

Malevz
04-22-2012, 03:17 PM
every green goblin in sol a aggroing + some mobs with 0 delay on attack speed = dangerous combo. Getting my ass handed to me by green cons!

Brut
04-22-2012, 05:00 PM
This is supposed to be happening with Uguk froggers too, then? Greenies around priest were Frrroooaaking for me late 40s toon.

Slave
04-22-2012, 08:05 PM
There is plenty of evidence against this.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.everquest/browse_thread/thread/351b4fc24d4a23ea/80dd943f456b5897?lnk=gst&q=%22green+aggro%22+goblin#80dd943f456b5897

K. Laisathit:

"only reason you get swarmed is because you
let runners go. As for green aggro problems, well, don't blame
Guk. All post-newbie dungeons have this problem. The critters
have to be utterly green before it becomes non-aggro. Permafrost
has it. Runnyeye has it. Mistmoore has it. Basically, all
level 20+ mobs don't stop being aggro until they are about 10
level below you, even if they are green when they are 6 or 7
levels below you."

Nuesnada
04-22-2012, 11:16 PM
I can speak from expierence that green frogies in upper guk will agro

I remember tons and tons of people 40 to 50 traiining from zone in to dead side lower guk or liv side lower guk.

same in reverse from both these zones to zone out of upper guk.

Permafrost if it saw invis it would agro you period. I remember camping that dam mammoth cloak and havin green mobs agroing me when my snared mob would run out room and get to close other greens outside alchemist room. died a few time to green trains from not paying attenting and having a green mob run out.

Thanks for listening