PDA

View Full Version : New Server Host / Downtime

nilbog
11-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Hail citizens,

Continuous ddos attacks don't make for a happy hosting enviroment. Due to the attacks on the datacenter where Project 1999 was hosted, the server was shut off.

The server will be down for a few days (?) while we procure it a new home and migrate the essentials. We will do our best to make this a short procedure with the best research and preventive measures put into place.

On a positive note, we have resurrected a decade-old following of everquest classic fans and brought many new faces to the eqemulator community.

The community is great, and the server is great. We will post updates when we know them and hopefully we'll be back up and running within a few days.

Please be patient and avoid drinking any of the conspiracy juice.

Here's to hoping for a peaceful future.. <3

-nilbog

Firrewhisper
11-22-2009, 03:37 AM
Good News!

vidurous
11-22-2009, 03:40 AM
I can't wait till its back! I guess I'm finally going to buy Dragon Age and give it a whirl, while I wait for my favor game :)

Dreadder
11-22-2009, 03:40 AM
I just want somebody to hold me and tell me that everything will be alright.

Ocaevia
11-22-2009, 03:42 AM
Great news!

Reiker
11-22-2009, 03:43 AM
Nilbog its a race, can you get the server back up before I beat Dragon Age? ;)

Soapninja
11-22-2009, 03:52 AM
I can't wait. I just want to say that this has been the most fun I've had gaming in many years. There was something very special about the first few years of Everquest, and It's been so much fun to relive them again with likeminded people. This server offers such a unique and rewarding experience. I look forward to seeing you all in game again soon.

- Dumbley

nilbog
11-22-2009, 03:55 AM
I just want somebody to hold me and tell me that everything will be alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNZvZvzWak

Cribanox
11-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Thanks Nilbog for making me feel better tonight.

Zamboni
11-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Here's to hoping it's up and running by next Saturday. I have pretty much the whole day free, which is rare for me, and I'd love to spend it playing some classic EQ 8).

Thanks to Nilbog and all the other members of the team for their hard work!

Ehud
11-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all the hard work. We really enjoy the server and you guys do a great job.

Sippin
11-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Agreed. It's a great "work of art" and I look forward to its return!

Bubbles
11-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Glad to hear.

oldtimer
11-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Yes, I too would like to say "Thank you" for all the hard work. I am enjoying this server very much and glad to hear it will be returning.

Dreadder
11-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I too would like to say that I like popsicles and am very thankful for them. Especially the ones with jokes written on the sticks I like those!

Wildir
11-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Thank you for not giving up!!!

Wildir

Kylien
11-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Here here! Thank you for putting together a game that brings old friends back together!

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Here here! Thank you for putting together a game that brings old friends back together!

Amen. Where is Jax and does he have my money?

President
11-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Damnit Aeolwind, I fully expected your reply to be something along the lines of "we have found a new host! back up in a couple hours!"

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Damnit Aeolwind, I fully expected your reply to be something along the lines of "we have found a new host! back up in a couple hours!"

lol, You'll only see that one from Nilbog today I'm afraid. I'm at work lurking atm.

Kylien
11-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Amen. Where is Jax and does he have my money?

Ya know, I tried to get the mofo to give it a try but I think he's too busy chasin' tail and being an actual person. I, on the other hand, have no such problems. Long live P1999!

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Ya know, I tried to get the mofo to give it a try but I think he's too busy chasin' tail and being an actual person. I, on the other hand, have no such problems. Long live P1999!

I'd give a shiny quarter to track down Nyl again. Gonna check with Darwyn and see if Aackie stayed in contact with him, if not him then Pickles might have. I know Yenom went to Jerusalem for a while with his school, but that was years ago. I still catch Bejita and Karitta occasionally on MSN.

Kylien
11-22-2009, 01:28 PM
I still catch Bejita and Karitta occasionally on MSN.

Holy shit, I forgot ALL ABOUT Bejita! Me and him were so tight... last I heard he was in grad school and schvitzing about where he was going to get a job, but that was like 8 years ago!

If you can get Bejita to play, I'll PL him! :p

Aeolwind
11-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Holy shit, I forgot ALL ABOUT Bejita! Me and him were so tight... last I heard he was in grad school and schvitzing about where he was going to get a job, but that was like 8 years ago!

If you can get Bejita to play, I'll PL him! :p

lol, he doesn't even play mine sweeper for fear of addiction. You'll not see him withing 300 paces of a mmo ever again I think. Pretty sure Lith still plays Warcraft. My nephew has my account, I'll see about my friends list.

Aija
11-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Can't wait as I have a corpse waiting to be retrieved. :rolleyes:

Thanks Nilbog! *salute*

Maldan
11-22-2009, 02:51 PM
With the downtime maybe I"ll finally be able to catch up on some sleep....p1999 has completely wrecked my sleep schedule :D.

Tollen
11-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Noooo L4D-2 wont get here for another 2 days!!!! what will I do...

svoald
11-22-2009, 03:30 PM
I hope our corpse timers aren't running while we are offline :P

Sphynx87
11-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Fantastic news! Had only been playing a few days and was really psyched to get that classic experience again, and the feeling of "oh man i gotta get to 50 before kunark comes out" :)

Kaleadar
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I vote for a server wipe! hell if your going to start over, do it right!

shallowprofile
11-22-2009, 08:00 PM
I vote for a server wipe! hell if your going to start over, do it right!

Err... Maybe if there was some server wide consensus of a wipe and restart, or if there was actually some announcement of a pending server restart that would make sense...

But not if we're changing servers because of some fucktard ddos'ing the server, no...

Tollen
11-22-2009, 08:44 PM
who said anything about starting over?

Spud
11-22-2009, 09:27 PM
I swear to god if I ever find out the guy who did this, and somehow get his address, I will personally show up at his home and give him THE BIGGEST nuggie ever.

Jadian
11-22-2009, 10:25 PM
I think a few people (like myself) that didn't find out about the server until a few weeks after it opened or just had a lot going on for a few weeks would love to have it reset just for the hope of catching up quicker... but in all seriousness that'd piss off a lot more people than it would make happy so that should only happen if it has to. My understanding is the information isn't gone.. it just can't be hosted.

Belenos
11-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Cant wait till everythings back up and running thx for all your hard work nil

Rallyd
11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
If a wipe is even considered, there should be a voting thread to see what the count looks like and make a decision based on that.

Jadian
11-22-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm positive if it's even "considered" it's because it's necessary. There's no reason to wipe a server 7 weeks after it goes live based on public opinion. If the information is lost or compromised, it could start over but at least we'd have it back /shrug

Zhao
11-23-2009, 12:05 AM
All you people talking about a server wipe are obviously worthless garbage newbs who want to spread your misery around to the players who don't actually suck and have stuff already. Anyone talking about a wipe needs to just seriously stfu.

odizzido
11-23-2009, 12:21 AM
do you guys have access to the router infront of the server? If so you could route whatever protcol they are using to 0.

Insidious
11-23-2009, 12:24 AM
All you people talking about a server wipe are obviously worthless garbage newbs who want to spread your misery around to the players who don't actually suck and have stuff already. Anyone talking about a wipe needs to just seriously stfu.

hahah this literally made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the laugh :)

Don't get me wrong though, i'm on your side.

Bubbles
11-23-2009, 12:45 AM
So put me down for a wipe :).

And for those worried about polls, there's a pretty long track record on not worrying about public opinion on here (which is fine).

Kylien
11-23-2009, 12:59 AM

I love you, Zhao.

Rallyd
11-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Nerd rage about a wipe, interesting. Velious comes around, you're maxed out on loot, you have nothing to do all day but stare at ogre and troll asses in EC tunnel. You'll be crying for a wipe, or quit.

Andriea
11-23-2009, 02:42 AM
noo wiping i just got to level 3 x.x and that took long enough between work and class. lol

Zarniwooop
11-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Nerd rage about a wipe, interesting. Velious comes around, you're maxed out on loot, you have nothing to do all day but stare at ogre and troll asses in EC tunnel. You'll be crying for a wipe, or quit.

This is an interesting point.

What do we do when Velious has been out for a year?

This is one reason I hope they NEVER shut off all the rare loots that SOE did. It will add something to do.

What happens then? Open luclin and then freeze it?

Keep it running and open another classic server?

Or just wipe it after 18 months and start new?

Or do we just leave it going until there's effectively no one playing anymore? I personally would love to do classic again and again, but I'm wierd. I plan to make a lot of alts if they just leave it up.

Dabamf
11-23-2009, 03:12 AM
What warrants a wipe? What major game-changing fixes were made? Oh I know, none.

The only people who want a wipe are those that are behind and want to cut down those at the top so they can try again (and likely fail again). And this is coming from a guy severely behind (37) who, due to recently acquiring tons of free time, would pretty surely be the first necro to 50 if a wipe were to occur.

So yea, I'd love a wipe, for personal gain. But it's a retarded idea.

Rallyd
11-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Yes because it's all one big conspiracy theory to get on top right, you are totally without foresight son. It's all about keeping the dream that is everquest alive.

Goobles
11-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Please be patient and avoid drinking any of the conspiracy juice.

Here's to hoping for a peaceful future.. <3

-nilbog

...THEORIST!

Maxium
11-23-2009, 09:49 AM
What the hell? Why are people asking / suggesting a server wipe? For what purpose? So you can "catch up"? Catch up to what? 50? So you can be "first" or "second" at downing Vox and Nag?

Asking for a wipe is pointless - unless some "huge" exploit was found where 75% of the server population found a way to level from 1-50 in 24 hours or some bullsh*t like that.

The point of this server isn't to be "first" on anything (10 year old content) - it's to have fun and play it from the beginning.

Oh, and I have a 24 warrior and a 17 necro, so I'm not some level 50 complaining about not wanting to restart.

You guys that are asking for a wipe remind me of people that use the whistles in Mario Bros. 3

Have fun and play at your own pace