PDA

View Full Version : Haste and holding aggro with procs

ownrage
05-21-2013, 10:40 AM
So I was thinking...they say u proc more with slow applied to u...since that's a bit extreme would just being non-hasted cause u to proc more than with haste? If so, assuming stun+dd procs, would it be better to be I hasted vs hasted since we know aggro is based on swings and not dps outside of procs?

Just a thought...

Nirgon
05-21-2013, 11:56 AM
70% slow do the math

Feanoir
05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
If I understand how proc rates work, and I may not, rates are adjust per swing to give the same proc/min regardless. If your proc rate is say 1per 50 swings unhasted, and you have 100% haste(just for ease of math) your proc rate will drop to one per 100 swings. Say you have 50% slow it will bump up to one per 25 swings. Haste/slow only adjust proc rates per swing to maintain same proc/min ratio.

Slytherin
05-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Not how it works.

Procs are calculated by procs per minute (ppm). At max dexterity this equals 2ppm in the mainhand and 1ppm in the offhand. This rate doesn't change with haste or slow.

What does change is your chance to proc on any given swing.

If you normally attack with a weapon 10 times per minute in your mainhand, at max dexterity and 2ppm your chance to proc on any given swing is 1 out of 5 or 20%.

If you swing that same weapon 15 times per minute when hasted, you will still be at 2ppm, but your chance to proc on any given swing is 2 out of 15 or 13.3%. While your chance to proc on any given swing decreases, you will generate the same amount of aggro each minute from procs (2ppm), but will also benefit from the additional aggro generated from your 5 additional swings.

If you swing the same weapon slowed 5 times per minute, you will still be at 2ppm, but your chance to proc on any given swing is 2 out of 5 or 40%. You'll still generate the same amount of aggro from procs but your aggro will go down because you're losing swings.

The situations in which being slowed and not wearing item haste are beneficial are pretty minimal:

1) The most famous is shakerpaging. Warriors and Berserkers later received an AA ability called Rampage that allowed them to attack every enemy in their frontal arc at once. You could get a couple of Warriors/Berserkers with Earthshakers together, slow them, and then gather up a hundred or more mobs (usually stuff like the fields of Plane of Fire) and then have them all rampage at once. With a high delay weapon and being slowed you could almost guarantee a proc on every swing at 100+ mobs with the AE damage being enough to kill them all.

2) Jousting a mob with a high damage proc weapon