PDA

View Full Version : Yellow text messages: Brainstorm

Tradesonred
05-14-2013, 02:14 PM
As I said, it will likely be rudimentary to begin with. You guys are welcome to brainstorm some ideas for future patches.

I think killing sprees would be cool.

The more I think about this, the harder I get. Custom messages based on what class killed the victim? Maybe text based on how fast someone died? ("After a long and tiresome battle, X has finally been slain by Y in zone Z" vs "X just got obliterated by Y in Z!" Many be messages incorporating how many players did damage to the victim? "X just got ganked by <guild name, if all ppl in the same guild> in Z"

I remember on another box the messages were different but random, it would really be cool if there were custom messages. Then again, I know this is probably just a fantasy but.. Nilbog you have set my mind free, I can dream again...

What sort of messages should we get when we kill people, according to the circumstances in which player died?

For the record, still think kill shouldnt show location! Maybe "somewhere in Antonica" lol

Or dont wanna load the dice too much here, is a msg after each death too much?

Nirgon
05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Don't put it in game, it will just turn ooc into even more of a shit show.

I'd have a map of Norrath maybe and show hot spots for a given day along with kill logs.

reddi lol
05-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Text that's yellow and says who slain who

reddi lol
05-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Text that's blue and says who kill which dragon

solid
05-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Allow each class to track, and to make up for gimping ranger/druid/bard allow them to MQ.

Tradesonred
05-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Don't put it in game, it will just turn ooc into even more of a shit show.

I'd have a map of Norrath maybe and show hot spots for a given day along with kill logs.

Personally i didnt give a shit for it either way, just i think if its put in, it shouldnt show the location of the kill to keep it classic-ish.

Im willing to see how it fares, Nilbog says its a trial basis anyway, if it gets spammy, maybe have a command to turn in off?

You can turn off /ooc as well. Frankly i dont think OOC is that bad, although i havent been on for that much since 2 months ago.

diplo
05-14-2013, 04:58 PM
if there's some type of NPC and/or player assistance in the actual kill, that would be nice to mention.

juicedsixfo
05-14-2013, 05:01 PM
I think it would be cool if there was an assist/tagging system, but that might be hard to code. Like, whoever did damage or assisted in someone's death, gets reflected in PvP YT.

I'd bet 75% of yt would look like this:

<Guy> of <Guild> has been slain in Sebilis by <Soandso>, <Soandso2>, and <Soandso3>

HippoNipple
05-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Yellow Text needs to show who killed who and the corresponding guilds. No assist, only kill shot. Location is a huge plus, forces the killer to make the choice if the juice is worth the squeeze and therefor pay for his sins.

Black Jesus
05-14-2013, 05:43 PM
this thread leaking grease and obesity

Heywood
05-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Keep the Yellow Text simple, like VZTZ.

Nizzar <Nihilum> has been slain by Colgate <Azrael> in The Arena!

I like the killing spree idea, like a lot. But there should be a timer on it imho. Like the sequence of kills have to be at the most 5 or 10 minutes apart. And it should reset if the player goes offline.

reddi lol
05-14-2013, 05:49 PM
if there's some type of NPC and/or player assistance in the actual kill, that would be nice to mention.

This would be glorious

Bard001 has been slammed by 30 NPC's in South Karana with the aid of Noble_druid001

reddi lol
05-14-2013, 05:50 PM
I c wyd heywood

SamwiseRed
05-14-2013, 05:51 PM
hopefully they add a 3rd person kill cam

Agatha
05-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Text that's blue and says who kill which dragon

haha i'd love to see this. great idea reddi

FaithlessKR
05-14-2013, 06:34 PM
The idea of a killing spree would be rendered moot if the counter disappeared in a short time span. This is everquest after all, not call of duty or league of legends. Currently I have a killing spree on both live toons that have been going for 3 years. It only gives a message that the person is on a spree every 10 kills I believe.

Heywood
05-14-2013, 07:43 PM
The idea of a killing spree would be rendered moot if the counter disappeared in a short time span. This is everquest after all, not call of duty or league of legends. Currently I have a killing spree on both live toons that have been going for 3 years. It only gives a message that the person is on a spree every 10 kills I believe.

If the killing spree didn't have a duration, it would promote zone plugging because people don't want to lose the killing spree.

Whereas if there were a duration, it would promote more, longer pvp and it might hopefully deter people from zone plugging.

I also believe killing spree shouldn't count for killing the same person repeatedly.

Yes, killing sprees would be hard to get, but it should be a badge of honor that not just anyone could get.

Ebony
05-14-2013, 08:08 PM
If the killing spree didn't have a duration, it would promote zone plugging because people don't want to lose the killing spree.

Whereas if there were a duration, it would promote more, longer pvp and it might hopefully deter people from zone plugging.

I also believe killing spree shouldn't count for killing the same person repeatedly.

Yes, killing sprees would be hard to get, but it should be a badge of honor that not just anyone could get.

On Live you would hear if someone zoned when in a Duel. You could make it if someone zones within 10 seconds of being hit in PVP it stops their killing spree.

Might cause other issues but you could tweek it if you wanted.

Just an idea I had when reading your post.

FaithlessKR
05-14-2013, 08:23 PM

There's no other way to make a killing spree work in a game like EQ though. People are never going to stop plugging for any reason, even with xp loss being taken out.

Heywood
05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
There's no other way to make a killing spree work in a game like EQ though. People are never going to stop plugging for any reason, even with xp loss being taken out.

I agree that pluggers are gonna plug, but I wouldn't want to give them another reason to plug. Maybe the they're one kill away from getting a killing spree, so they say "phucket, ima give nizzar that boosie fade" and decide to not plug. I know that's a 1 in 50 scenario, but still, it's better than "ooh, im at 50% health. I'm gonna plug to save my killing spree."

I think killing spree can work. It can be R99's "thing", something relatively new on the eq emu scene. I just don't think you'll see it in everday pvp though, it'll be more for the guild pvp battles, and maybe even small skirmishes.

reddi lol
05-14-2013, 08:55 PM
I agree that pluggers are gonna plug, but I wouldn't want to give them another reason to plug. Maybe the they're one kill away from getting a killing spree, so they say "phucket, ima give nizzar that boosie fade" and decide to not plug. I know that's a 1 in 50 scenario, but still, it's better than "ooh, im at 50% health. I'm gonna plug to save my killing spree."

I think killing spree can work. It can be R99's "thing", something relatively new on the eq emu scene. I just don't think you'll see it in everday pvp though, it'll be more for the guild pvp battles, and maybe even small skirmishes.

Gold

Salem Orchid
05-14-2013, 09:49 PM
got this crazy idea how bout implementing it

Faerie Blossom
05-15-2013, 12:11 AM
I feel that whatever is done should be done with the original dev team's vision in mind. I'm kinda bothered already by the unclassic "is your body ready?" thing, mostly because it's been in the game for so long. Maybe a little funny as a short joke, but it's like 2 years later and con messages are still ridiculous. We're playing a fantasy game with elves and unicorns and stuff, not posting on 4chan or playing a FPS.

Kill streak messages could probably be put into the game without being at odds with the game's lore, if done right. Players should not be incentivized or rewarded (more than they are) for killing a high elf mage if they are a half elf paladin, so maybe in those situations it should give their zone location and even /loc. I'd like to see a faction system implemented more than this yellow text thing though, this change seems kinda dumb.

Keep it tasteful!

NecroForSale
05-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Have the text also include percent of damage done by the killer on top of any NPC assistance.

"X has slain Y with the spell Z, doing 10% of the total damage versus 90% of NPC damage sources."

Last hitting someone while they're dying to a train you brought them shouldn't be commended by pras in ooc.

Nune
05-15-2013, 08:43 PM
This is getting retarded.

Devs not gonna code all this custom idea shit in.

Colgate
05-15-2013, 08:50 PM
i want a hand written detailed fucking paragraph describing why each person died sent to /ooc, /guild, /tells to every person on the server, texted to me, on a live update ticker on the website and forums, etched onto the leaderboard, sent to my e-mail, and written by nilborg and notarized in my mailbox within 3-5 business days

Faerie Blossom
05-15-2013, 08:52 PM
YT twitter feed, please!

heartbrand
05-15-2013, 08:56 PM
i want a hand written detailed fucking paragraph describing why each person died sent to /ooc, /guild, /tells to every person on the server, texted to me, on a live update ticker on the website and forums, etched onto the leaderboard, sent to my e-mail, and written by nilborg and notarized in my mailbox within 3-5 business days

Agreed

heartbrand
05-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Have the text also include percent of damage done by the killer on top of any NPC assistance.

"X has slain Y with the spell Z, doing 10% of the total damage versus 90% of NPC damage sources."

Last hitting someone while they're dying to a train you brought them shouldn't be commended by pras in ooc.

Most pvp encounters aren't "fair". They involve players who are engaged with mobs, unfair numbers, clickies, buffs, unfair starting health positions etc. etc. just embrace it