PDA

View Full Version : lvling research

Trojanman
05-05-2013, 06:30 PM
How do you guys do it?
Words are expensive and skillups are rare, am I missing something?
Is there another way to level up research easier or does everyone just hunt for those low level words and hope for a successful combine?

Aprio
05-05-2013, 06:57 PM
I saved all of my training points up to 16, then I hit a guild trainer and after a while it starts to cost. Otherwise practise, practise, practise!

http://wiki.project1999.org/Skill_Research

Trojanman
05-05-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm 18 and can only upgrade through paid research to 18? Is it a 1:1 for research training based on level? Thats not enough to skill up to make my lvl 20 pet. Not even close!

Estu
05-06-2013, 09:49 AM
I was able to up the skill at my trainer to as high as I wanted it, I think. Maybe the level cap is new? First I'm hearing of it.

Malone88
05-06-2013, 02:03 PM
I'd recommend hunting in spots where words drop and also buying words off vendors nearby. Try making the spells yourself and many times you will get a skill-up, even if you fail. Sell dup spells back to merchant or to players to make up some costs.

Also, whenever you visit a trainer, train your research as high as it will go. Will cost a little plat at higher levels, but you should be able to afford it by then.

Selenia

Swish
05-06-2013, 02:17 PM
If you're after words between 20-39, go to Highkeep and check the vendors there.

29-44? Feerott vendors outside Oggok (spectre killers vendor there).

Stuff for 49? Check everywhere! OOT vendors?

It's possible to do it without using the trainer but offer people the shortcut and most take it :)

Vermicelli
05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Skill up at your trainer, or find someone smartypants like me to do your homework for you =) Book practicing research is for jerks

Trojanman
05-06-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm a gnome using the trainers at freeport underground, I think Sks? Does this make any difference? I don't suppose trainers at ak'anon would train any more, right?

Vermicelli
05-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Trainers is trainers. In the Might and Magic series, there were different qualities of trainers that were really cool because you had to travel far and wide to find the wisest mentors, but every trainer in EQ has the same skill level and charge for tuition.

Victorio
05-09-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm 18 and can only upgrade through paid research to 18? Is it a 1:1 for research training based on level? Thats not enough to skill up to make my lvl 20 pet. Not even close!

As mentioned on the wiki, the maximum skill for research is (your level-15)*5. This means if you train it at 18 your maximum skill level is 15. However, the game still gives you 1 point per level when you train it for the first time. At level 20 your skill will max at 25. This is certainly below the trivial level for spells at that level. This will continue to hold true for your other spell levels.

Note that if you are a necro you can buy the level 20 pet in oggok or grobb.

Trojanman
05-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Note that if you are a necro you can buy the level 20 pet in oggok or grobb.

As a Gnome I am KOS in those cities, but I got it sorted out. Now I'm planning for my lvl 24 pet which is research only. seems like there is no way I can get my skill high enough to make that one. I guess I'm reduced to either skipping it or paying someone to make it for me.

Gurbuuk
05-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Just for general info : all sk spells are buyable, so are necro pets up to pet 44 necro. Check the wiki for locations. Or gimme a tell when i m online with my nec morganella ( european hours), will gladly do it if you got the words

Trojanman
05-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Just for general info : all sk spells are buyable, so are necro pets up to pet 44 necro. Check the wiki for locations. Or gimme a tell when i m online with my nec morganella ( european hours), will gladly do it if you got the words

Wiki says the lvl 24 necro pet is research only. Thanks for the offer Gurbuuk!