PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Pet aggro too low

koros
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Compared to live, I can find examples later if needed.

Perhaps it's not calculating pet potential damage and only actual damage?

Gel Mibson
04-10-2013, 03:25 PM
yea....you're going to have to post some hard evidence bc you'll go nowhere with this bug report.

that's like saying you want a discount for an item at a store bc you saw the lower price somewhere online.

Velerin
08-31-2013, 10:58 AM
I second this. I recently started on this server and am playing a mage. The pet has way too much trouble with initial aggro. If I pull a mob with a 5 point DD (level 1 nuke), the level 29 pet has to hit the mob about 3 times (for about 60 damage total) in order to pull aggro off of me. Initially, I thought it was just a problem with low level pets but with each upgrade I still see the same problem. Currently there is no spell to pull with and not get hit (cancel magic and malosini have way too much aggro compared to live)
Additionally, if you send in a pet (without casting anything) you have to wait a few seconds to sit or it just comes to you. The pet has to hit the mob 3-4 times to get aggro even if you haven't cast a thing and are well out of aggro range.
Overall aggro seems pretty low too but I can't say definitively on that.
I'm sure others playing pet classes can attest, although maybe eventually the higher level pets can out aggro the 5 point nuke with 1 swing? (though it shouldn't need 60 points of damage to outaggro 5)

mrmop520
08-31-2013, 11:11 AM
I hear a lot of this is related to pets needing to proc their dd / roots more often. Loraen made a post detailing it in this forum somewhere.

pasi
08-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Are you referring to the non-classic pets giving owners hate as a percentage of their hate or are you referring to a pet's hate generation being too low?

The first scenario is a necessary evil.

Classic through Luclin (I believe?) pet aggro would be absolutely retarded to have on a classic server. EMU has seen it before - the results are shit like 2-3 mages killing Nagafen, mobs who hit harder than AoW dying to a bunch of level 50 mages, enchanter pets tanking Kael Raid mobs.

Edit: Didn't read date of OP.

runlvlzero
08-31-2013, 03:49 PM
Are you referring to the non-classic pets giving owners hate as a percentage of their hate or are you referring to a pet's hate generation being too low?

The first scenario is a necessary evil.

Classic through Luclin (I believe?) pet aggro would be absolutely retarded to have on a classic server. EMU has seen it before - the results are shit like 2-3 mages killing Nagafen, mobs who hit harder than AoW dying to a bunch of level 50 mages, enchanter pets tanking Kael Raid mobs.

Edit: Didn't read date of OP.

Yeah, I have thought about this some. It would be interesting if it could be fixed to work differently on certain mobs so we could get that classic feel without entirely broken server endgames. Hardcoded agro rules sets may be just to crazy though. Then again if it just uses a database call to call a separate function. Then the only issues would be interfacing the two agro protocols which might work just fight together the way I envision it. So no extra CPU overhead that I can imagine. It would increase memory usage a tiny bit to run two agro routines side by side. Though if lots of different mobs were involved and there was no optimization things could get ugly. There might be one or 2 cases that could break the system. The worst end result would be lots of duplicate hate lists in memory clashing.

Velerin
09-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't mind sharing some aggro with my pet to avoid people exploiting them. I would just like my pet to be able to outaggro a 5 damage pulling nuke in less than 3 hits.

Nirgon
09-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Initial cast aggro i think should be the culprit here. There is a ceiling of hate you should gain on the mob on the first spell/attack done to it. This means you pull with a spell as the first entity on its hate list. NOT just the first spell each person casts on it.

Case 1: shaman pulls with slow (it lands!) sends pet, pet gets aggro quickly.
Case 2: shaman pulls with malise, sends pet which gets aggro, slows mob.. mob does not come off easily whatsoever

Do with this as you wish.

koros
09-03-2013, 12:12 PM
It's more than that Nirgon, pet aggro is extraordinarily low. It should be as high/higher than players for the same damage done.

Nirgon
09-03-2013, 12:21 PM
To test this here I will need a 24 dark elf necro with shock of poison and researched pet. Camped at Travis Two Tone.

I will also call in an expert on the matter to cross examine my claims.

(I still have to parse live guards with my wizard too)

Rhun
09-11-2013, 01:30 PM
I agree with OP.
I have another example:
In Warsliks Woods in the giant fort, I sick my level 29 fire pet (highest one) on a giant. It does 40-60% damage alone, without me doing anything except pulling with a level 1 DD (Im not even healing). I then cast a spell that does around 20% damage to the giant, and it goes instantly for me and completely ignores the pet, that did more than twice or three times the damage I did.
I played a mage before on live, around the same time P99 is now patch-wise, and I remember very well that pets actually held aggro very well. I only played with the water pet back then, because they held aggro so well.

So I am saying that I think the spells right now have a fixed amount of aggro. Thats normal with spells like slow, mez, stun DDs, etc, but not for pure DDs. I am pretty sure back then DDs only pulled as much aggro as they did damage. For example, right now, if your spell gets partly resisted and only does only like 10% of its max damage the mob will aggro as if the full damage hit. Even a full resist will do that. That is not how it was on live

Acrux Bcrux
09-12-2013, 10:05 AM
If this got fixed bards would probably be able to swarm kite (not aoe kite even though everyone on this server calls aoe kiting swarm kiting because theyre retarded) and that would be fucking amazing. Went from like 52 - 55 on my bard on live in 2 days solo swarm kiting (yea the one where you charm a mob, not aoe kiting fuckers)

Velerin
09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Pets need to generate more aggro please.

Tecmos Deception
09-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Initial cast aggro i think should be the culprit here. There is a ceiling of hate you should gain on the mob on the first spell/attack done to it. This means you pull with a spell as the first entity on its hate list. NOT just the first spell each person casts on it.

Case 2: shaman pulls with malise, sends pet which gets aggro, slows mob.. mob does not come off easily whatsoever

Yeah, it's not this. There is a cap on initial aggro here. I can pull an unaggrod mob with tash in HS, for example, and my charmed pet will pull it off of me instantly like 90% of the time. But if my pet engages something first and then I tash, I'll pull aggro HARD. As in, even if my charmed pet had HT up and blasts the enemy for 500+a round of melee, tash will still pull it off.

Velerin
09-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Level 34 pet needs 2-3 rounds of combat to outaggro a 5 point level 1 nuke. Give Jobarer a little love please.

Nimmersatt
10-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Hi, i just dinged 36 yesterday with my shammy and worked the last days with the 34 pet spell.
What i can say that the pet doesnt do ANY aggro or taunting at all.
No matter what spell is cast on a mob my pet will never get any aggro. I have to root down or tank mobs myself.

I played a Ogre shaman since 1999 on Solusek Ro server, had to log him in again to get the exact birthdate but as far as i remember i never had to root down mobs. I killed HG's in dozens back then or even IG's, but root was the kind of spell i never needed to memorize because pets could do some taunting or even generate aggro.

They are not meant to hold aggro on a permaspamming JBB oder blast in Malo,slow, and some dots ... but come on! a lill more, or any taunt at all would be fine for me.

baramur
10-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Pet proc rate is way to low, sometimes my pet will go 2 or 3 mobs without proc. On live mage pets were procing fools. Pet aggro is non existant. I can let my pet beat a mob down to 40 health, cast 1 nuke and peel aggro. On live pet aggro was much higher. And in classic mages could pet kill naggy. Trak was even killed by a mage pet crew.

Iumuno
11-03-2013, 11:05 AM
I'll just repeat what was already stated.

My pet has to do at least 2X my damage to keep aggro. And that's not even including pet misses, which I believe should add to aggro.

Velerin
12-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Any possibilities on this one yet? I think it might also be tied in with the pets not casting enough problem. As a mage I can chain pet just about any single mob to victory but sometimes I really wish once in a while I could cast those fun nuke spells I bought.
Every other pet class has root to counteract the crappy pet aggro. Mage CC = gate. How fun would enchanter charming be if they didn't have roots?

freez
12-05-2013, 02:08 PM
pets were never meant to hold agro

cant taunt anything over their level

not sure why u guys don't understand.

Nirgon
12-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah, it's not this. There is a cap on initial aggro here. I can pull an unaggrod mob with tash in HS, for example, and my charmed pet will pull it off of me instantly like 90% of the time. But if my pet engages something first and then I tash, I'll pull aggro HARD. As in, even if my charmed pet had HT up and blasts the enemy for 500+a round of melee, tash will still pull it off.

Well, as long as they are getting threat per swing... get used to your pet not being like having a dragon hasted, dual stun proccing warrior. That isn't what they are supposed to be.

freez
12-05-2013, 02:15 PM
charmed pets are completely different, they will snap agro because they do 3x+ the dps of a normal pet with normal pet weaps and haste.

Velerin
12-05-2013, 02:31 PM
pets were never meant to hold agro

cant taunt anything over their level

not sure why u guys don't understand.

Where did you invent this thought? Mage pets are meant to be tanks and hold aggro. Holding aggro and taunting are not even the same thing. A pet wont be taunting anything that's higher level than it but it should be able to hold as good aggro as a player tank if not better with melee + proc spells.

Velerin
12-05-2013, 02:36 PM
and every other pet class (hell every other caster) has a really easy work around for this...root. Mages don't have root. If pet can't aggro you gate or die.

Nirgon
12-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Or kite it around. Much less viable in dungeon.

Velerin
12-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Or kite it around. Much less viable in dungeon.

heh, even that isn't that viable most of time since the pet won't keep up with the mob to hit him unless its casts are enough to take aggro back.

I love mages but finally just gave up here and switched to enchanter. Crappy pet aggro turns a pretty easy solo class with a few tricks into a ridiculously 1 trick pony boring solo class.

Nirgon
12-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Malise + earth pet not enough eh? Should be able to "keep up".

Velerin
12-05-2013, 03:05 PM
That'd be nice if the pets actually cast more often. But like I said, I can chain the 49 fire pet over and over and kill most any non summoning single mob eventually. It would just be nice to be able to do anything else besides use 1 spell over and over.

On a side note the malaise line (and cancel magic line) of spells seems to have a lot more aggro here than live. Tash is always high aggro (unresistable and poison based), malaise line (and cancel) shouldn't be much aggro at all.

freez
12-05-2013, 03:11 PM
mage pets were not "made" to hold agro and tank

they were made to assist you, therefore you need a playstyle. that does not include your pet out aggroing your nukes.

Velerin
12-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Something tells me you've never played a mage here or on live. I'm not talking about the pet outaggroing you chaining nukes. If you nuke at all (yes, only once) before the mob is about 30-40% you're almost guaranteed to pull aggro, sometimes even then.

At minimum the pet should generate the same aggro as a player doing equal damage. I think the problem here has something to do with the pet sharing aggro with the mage (to avoid pet classes downing raid mobs). So, if the pet hits for 30, maybe 5-10 of that aggro goes to mage.

Oh yeah..and straight off the everquest website:

"Elements pets are at the heart of a magician's offensive strategy, and typically accompany a magician in all his adventures. This pet provides protection for its master, along with powerful attacks and special abilities. Magicians have a large selection of fire- and magic-based damage spells, allowing them to mount a damaging magical assault in support of their elemental pet."

1. Protection = tank
2. Mage's should be able to cast a nuke here and there while their pet is fighting

freez
12-05-2013, 04:32 PM
yes, he can tank. tank does not = badass aggro

heartbrand
12-05-2013, 05:24 PM

I take advantage of this "feature" constantly

Iumuno
12-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Well, as long as they are getting threat per swing... get used to your pet not being like having a dragon hasted, dual stun proccing warrior. That isn't what they are supposed to be.

What is being said in this thread, is that 1 pt of damage from a pet isn't close to 1 pt of damage from a player threat wise. And that's very easy to test.

Buellen
12-05-2013, 11:07 PM
from hersey and word of mouth the current state of pet agro is a direct result of player base abusing pet agro in its original form.

the story i was told was that mages /necro pets were tanking raid bosses in sky and other areas, because pet agro generation was better.

Garue 49th Half Elf Warrior // Buskier 34th Level Human cleric // Shoul 32nd level human monk.

freez
12-05-2013, 11:23 PM
well you heard wrong because i dont even feel like explaining why thats sounds so stupid

Buellen
12-06-2013, 02:28 AM
well you heard wrong because i dont even feel like explaining why thats sounds so stupid

Thank you for the reply.

Velerin
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM
What is being said in this thread, is that 1 pt of damage from a pet isn't close to 1 pt of damage from a player threat wise. And that's very easy to test.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much this. And it doesn't help that they cast less here than live (another thread tested this).

The raid boss thing wasn't because they tank or aggro better than a player, but that if you have enough pet classes you just keep chaining pets and it'll die eventually and the mages will never get summoned.

This really effects mages the worst since they have no other way to mitigate it (rather than kiting a lot or praying for rare procs from earth pet) I understand theres got to be a way to stop people from petting down raid mobs but seems there's got to be another way to do this.

Anyone that says pet aggro is fine here I guarantee does not play a high lvl mage.

Rhun
12-07-2013, 09:31 AM
I agree. As said before, air pets were the ultimate aggro machines. You could nuke like there is no tomorrow and couldnt pull aggro from them. On this server that is not the case at all. Here youre better off chain summoning all the time, because if you cast a spell on the mob, it will instantly come running to you, even if you wait some time. More than 2 or 3 nukes and you have a death wish. That was NOT the case on live. And you have to kill the pet at the end anyway, to get full exp. On live it was no problem to outdamage your pet and get full exp each and every fight. People even bought full armor sets all the time, like bronze or banded, because they knew their pet wouldnt die after each fight!

What freez doesnt seem to grasp is that mages without a pet are a useless class that will die instantly. Sony knew that from the beginning. A pet without aggro is pretty much the same as having no pet for the mage, since mages best defensive spell is an armor with a tiny bit of health regen, while other classes have tons of spells that can make them avoid danger.

On top of that pets cast far less on this server, which makes the earth pet pretty useless, water pets doing less damage and air pets holding less aggro. I cant count the situations where the earth pet simply wouldnt cast its root and I died because of that either because I got aggro or the mob fled into a bunch of its friends. That never happened on live!

Itap
12-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Sounds like freez didnt play a pet class during classic. That or he was 8 years old

Asap
01-31-2014, 05:41 AM
bump for us pet classes

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18907&highlight=aggro

Goes back to 2010. Can we have pet aggro looked at please!

koros
01-31-2014, 01:24 PM
This has been an issue for years. I have a feeling it's intentional and not going to change.

BahamutDF
02-05-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm new here, but played a Mage on live in the classic era. How pet aggro is described here on P99, those mechanics are CERTAINLY not how it was on live.

Given I had intentions of main-alting a Mage here, I think it sounds like I need to rethink that plan.

A Mage without a pet capable of keeping aggro while its master nukes occasionally is a broken mage. Couple that with the need to outdamage your pet to get full experience = I don't understand how anyone could want to play a mage on this server. People didn't recycle pets CONSTANTLY to solo back on live. It was quite common to have pets alive for multiple levels. How is it considered acceptable that the only viable playstyle for a P99 mage is pet recycling? I'm not trying to be critical of the P99 server and possible mechanics that aren't 100% as they were as I know it would be impossible to expect perfection, but this sounds troubling.

Has any developer addressed this? I understand there are lingering issues based upon the need to basically recode the game for this server, but this totally sounds like the Mage class is broken here. I have vivid memories of how Mages worked back on live, and this ain't it. If it's an issue being looked at or worked on, I apologize. If it's an issue that devs haven't commented on, I find it perplexing.

Asap
02-05-2014, 09:01 PM
We can't get a Dev to chime in on any of our magician pet threads.

Asap
02-05-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm new here, but played a Mage on live in the classic era. How pet aggro is described here on P99, those mechanics are CERTAINLY not how it was on live.

Given I had intentions of main-alting a Mage here, I think it sounds like I need to rethink that plan.

A Mage without a pet capable of keeping aggro while its master nukes occasionally is a broken mage. Couple that with the need to outdamage your pet to get full experience = I don't understand how anyone could want to play a mage on this server. People didn't recycle pets CONSTANTLY to solo back on live. It was quite common to have pets alive for multiple levels. How is it considered acceptable that the only viable playstyle for a P99 mage is pet recycling? I'm not trying to be critical of the P99 server and possible mechanics that aren't 100% as they were as I know it would be impossible to expect perfection, but this sounds troubling.

Has any developer addressed this? I understand there are lingering issues based upon the need to basically recode the game for this server, but this totally sounds like the Mage class is broken here. I have vivid memories of how Mages worked back on live, and this ain't it. If it's an issue being looked at or worked on, I apologize. If it's an issue that devs haven't commented on, I find it perplexing.

We have accepted that in order to solo, we need a backpack full of malachite

Potus
02-05-2014, 11:11 PM
For people demanding evidence:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030419074415/http://pub102.ezboard.com/fthemagicianstowerthelibrary.showMessage?topicID=1 2.topic

^^ A guide showing how pets work with other classes. Here's some great quotes:

WIZARDS
With the pet to taunt off, or better still Root, a wizzy can have fun nuking!

CLERICS
If the pet is acting as a main tank, treat it as a tpical tank, healing and buffing. Pets have enormous amounts of hit points at high level though (2000+ from the 51 level and higher spells). but they also regen fast.

ENCHANTER
Alternatively just let the pet deal with the mob ,you don't have to mez every mob ;) The pet can tank quite well saving you mana and aggro.

BARDS
Bard songs dont' affect pets, major bummer :( Also bards are HUGE taunts, so if partenring with a bard be very careful of taunting, only earth pets and probably air can stop mobs going after an incautious bard!

PET AGGRO & ATTACK DISTANCE this is little understood or utilized by most players. Elemental pets, as they get high level have a truly huge aggro and attack radius, meaning they can fight a mob from considerable distance, almost as if they had the reach of giants. In EQ distance = aggro, the closer a palyer or pet is to a mob the worse the mob will aggro on them. Since high lvl pets attack from a huge distance they rarely get aggroed on, wasting the pets ability to take damage for players and using its regeneration to heal quickly after the fight. This can be overcome using the "pull into pet method", basically the puller lures the mob then stands behind the pet so that when the mobs hits the puller and mage gives the pet the attack order, the enemy will be almost inside the pet, the pet will be so close the mob will go into a frenzy on the mob and almost totally ignore any one else! As long as no one over nukes or melees too close, the mob will stay on the pet, allowing the players free reign to reign havoc on the mob. As long as the pet is healed when necessary, this tactic can mean almost no down time, since no one is hurt bar the pet, which regenerates quickly. Casting a damage shield, or using a fire pet (which has a built in damage shield) makes this an awesome tactic!

Conclusion: Pets were fantastic at aggro. P99 pet aggro is broken.

Here's another describing pet aggro and tanking over other melees:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030419075047/http://pub102.ezboard.com/fthemagicianstowerthelibrary.showMessage?topicID=6 .topic

Note that in that thread people talk about pulling with DDs. If you pull with a DD on P99 you will have aggro for the rest of the battle. Also the mage talks about pulling to the pet and letting the mob run through the pet before hitting pet attack. That means pets had snap aggro.

Again these are all obvious things to anyone that played a Necro or Mage during Classic. Developers need to fix this shit bad.

jadefoot
02-06-2014, 10:13 PM
After Velious was released I remember a patch that gave mage pets an extremely high amount of aggro. I was grouped in KC after that patch and nobody could pull the mobs off my pet no matter what they did. They quickly fixed that bug bringing them back to where they should have been as pets were hyper-aggro machines. Here are the notes, very first bug fix at the top:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2001-2.html

After the fix aggro went back to an acceptable level, what we have on p99 is nowhere near that. Devs throw us a bone here please, at least an acknowledgement.

Asap
02-06-2014, 11:07 PM
For people demanding evidence:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030419074415/http://pub102.ezboard.com/fthemagicianstowerthelibrary.showMessage?topicID=1 2.topic

^^ A guide showing how pets work with other classes. Here's some great quotes:

Conclusion: Pets were fantastic at aggro. P99 pet aggro is broken.

Here's another describing pet aggro and tanking over other melees:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030419075047/http://pub102.ezboard.com/fthemagicianstowerthelibrary.showMessage?topicID=6 .topic

Note that in that thread people talk about pulling with DDs. If you pull with a DD on P99 you will have aggro for the rest of the battle. Also the mage talks about pulling to the pet and letting the mob run through the pet before hitting pet attack. That means pets had snap aggro.

Again these are all obvious things to anyone that played a Necro or Mage during Classic. Developers need to fix this shit bad.

Make a new thread with this info, or add it to the OP

BahamutDF
02-07-2014, 12:40 AM
It just seems like something that probably should be, at the very least, addressed at one point or another. Even if just to say, "Everything is working as intended."

At least to get some finality. I am noticing the aggro mechanics, in general, are off from live. I am also aware that expecting everything to be 100% perfect is unrealistic and I'm just glad to be here amongst this community playing the game I cherish.

However, it would be nice to see Mages given their "freedom" so to speak from a singular playstyle that is antithetical to its own description.

gortimer
02-08-2014, 02:04 AM
There are no mages on this server. They should probably fix the pets.

Vyal
02-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Test it by pulling a mob with the clicky annul stick & if the pet doesn't take agro on the first hit then something is wrong however I pulled liked this before and it has never been a issue for me so at most it could be needing another split second to get agro that I never noticed.

CodyF86
02-09-2014, 03:31 AM
Test it by pulling a mob with the clicky annul stick & if the pet doesn't take agro on the first hit then something is wrong however I pulled liked this before and it has never been a issue for me so at most it could be needing another split second to get agro that I never noticed.

Initial aggro is capped; That's why it's actually better to pull with a big nuke or malo
first. Send your pet in first, then nuke and you can see the difference.

Aaradin
Aaradone
The A-Team

baalzy
02-10-2014, 07:18 PM
So here's how I beat up on the yellows and reds while soloing after level 12. Self buff everything you have. Shielding, siphon str, grim aura, vampiric embrace. At 16 add spirit armor and banshee aura. Now lead with life leech and let the mob hit you instead of your pet! Even with leach the mob is gonna beat you down, but no worries, cause you haven't loaded on the dots, meaning the mob will aggro your pet when you step back and start using your near full tank of mana. Step back, and let your fully healthy pet take a few whacks from the mob that's now down to half or 2/3. Lifetap a couple times and step back in there. When the mob is down to where your pet can handle it, back off and med up for the next one.

This isn't possible here. This guy is talking about using life leach & meleeing a yellow/red mob and instantly being able to lose agro to your pet by stepping out of range. March 2000.

RM. HG's are pathetic exp I think. But me at 42 and my 42 Mage made 1K last night there in about 4 hours, so money is hard to beat. Go to where the Giants spawn and camp on the side of the valley directly across from where the Guards in the tower are. When doing HG's an Ench or Mage is wonderful because of Malise/Tash (like we need slow Clarity). Pull the MOB's to you (best I've found is to have the other caster pull with Tash/Malise). Then you get a MOB that has lowered MR, yet the pets can taunt it off easy. Target the MOB and do a /pet attack as soon as you see it. Continue to sit and med. When your pet goes after it, it is within Darkness range. Dark and Fear it. It will go back towards the hill, then across the hill to your right. I generally will cast VoS on it, then go babysit the pets, moving/sitting/moving. If Fear wears off it is now so mad at the pet(s) hitting it that it will go after them as long as you are not too close. Refear. The worst things I've found is that if you cast Fear more then twice, you'd better nuke or the pets seem to take all the exp. You still get the loot though. And since you know exactly where he is going you can get ahead of him and sit and med while he is getting kicked to death by the pets.

Tash a mob and have a pet pull it off easily.
March 2001

-ATTACK STRATEGY-

Find a victim, engulf darkness if it fails, pull it to pet and sick the pet on it. Back up and recast until it sticks. From here cast Heat Blood, Heart Flutter, and if you want, Disease Cloud. By this time the giant will hate you and start chasing you... run the giant around the outer wall (but not to close to the nearby hut, for a giant spawns in there) and once you get to the road follow the road to the outer door and then follow the wall up and around again. make sure you have your pet taunt off by typing /taunt. If it does stop to attack your pet, SoP it and it will start chasing you again.

This is more what I remember. Pets grabbed snap agro easily. If I had a string of darkness/fear resists it often became difficult to get the mob off my pet before my pet died.

Feb. 2001

I'll look for some more in a bit, but I'm hoping the devs can at least acknowledge after all these years that peoples memories aren't wrong and pets really should be holding agro more effectively than they are.

Asap
02-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Nice find Baalzy

Potus
02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Good finds, all of those guides are classic. And yeah, you have to turn pet taunt off to aggro kite in classic. Pet's aggro was just too good otherwise. Notice he recommends using Shock of Poison and Disease Cloud and Heart Flutter. All are HUUUUUUUUGE taunts and the pet still can get aggro.

Pet aggro is simply broken on P99.

Velerin
02-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Splorf had that great thread proving mage pets don't cast enough here as well. Considering how spell hate >>> melee hate here if mage pets casted more that would be a huge help alone.

Mirakk82
03-19-2014, 09:24 AM
I can't believe this has been this broken for this long. All the folks saying to learn to play or check your memory have clearly never played a pet class before. I can't even approach basic DoT amounts that were standard when I was leveling in 1999-2000 without getting permanent aggro.

Thinking it might be a hate problem with DoTs, I made a mage. Even worse. And this was in 2011. Can we please get this fixed already? It's ridiculous that this has gone on for so long on a server that prides itself on offering a "classic experience".

Haynar
03-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Pet aggro is changed on Beta. Check it out.

H

Asap
03-19-2014, 09:34 AM

H

:eek:

Asap
03-19-2014, 09:52 AM

H

Just played around a bit on beta with my Mage. Pet aggro is on point!

Using the 49 fire pet on a frost giant berserker, Nuked SoS (600pt DD) when mob was at 80% and didn't pull aggro off pet, even sitting immediately afterward didn't pull aggro.

Could this be a new era for Magicians on p99!? :D

Daldaen
03-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Imagine if they fix it so that bolts are faster and double bolt works!!!

Haynar
03-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Dont hold you breath on double bolt yet. Need more specifics on what triggers it. But I was looking at bolt speeds and how to add collision detection. Very hard stuff.

Asap
03-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Killing ancient shardwurms in GD, if i wait until mob is down to ~80% hp, I can nuke freely without pulling aggro. This is a strange feeling :p

Velerin
03-19-2014, 11:02 AM
So excited about this. Maybe I can finally bag my reclaim clicky when soloing. Fluffy can live for more than 1 mob!

Mirakk82
03-19-2014, 01:06 PM
!!! Okay, I'm making a donation to this project. Came here, took a break for 3 years because of this issue. Now that it's being addressed you can consider me one happy camper.

jadefoot
03-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Thread here on how bolts would double from higher positions, which the reference states did not get fixed until Luclin, I remember doing this in Maidens Eye from hillsides:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99883&highlight=bolt+graphic

Oh if we could get the classic bolt graphic back:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15704&highlight=bolt+graphic

Thanks Haynar for the pet/bolt/mage attention, much appreciated!

Haynar
03-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Its a tossup to which is less fun. Bolts or Bards.

H

Mirakk82
03-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Haynar, any chance we will see this change on the server before Velious is released? Or is it going to be a package deal?

Potus
03-20-2014, 04:19 PM
This is a great day. Praise be to Haynar.

Nirgon
03-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Need more specifics on what triggers it.

I happened to fux with this on live.

It requires you to be almost directly above the target.

I never had it happen without having levitate up/being over target... and even still you would need to be almost directly over head.

What eras did it work? Definitely during classic era, maybe on Kunark, no idea on Velious. These estimations are based on my time having access to a magician on live.

Arterian
03-24-2014, 11:58 AM
These changes coming to blue prior to Velious?

Haynar
03-25-2014, 08:39 AM
Has anyone checked out pet aggro on live?

H

Dalomar
03-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Sorry I've played a mage extensively pre-luclin and played one here til 30, had to throw in.

I was excited to be the OP easy risk-free damage dealer again with pets on P99, no such luck. Can't even pretend to nuke, I'm just healing or chaincasting pets.

Not-classic at all, the gm's know it. They did this on purpose because Mages were semi-OP (which they were in classic).

Really I think it's time for every mage on the server to reroll a chanter so we can do insane pet damage, solo better than mages, AND be useful in almost every situation in all of EQ. If we all watch eachothers pets and ready stuns and mezes, easily tromp a group of mages who can't even nuke.

Vega
03-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Sorry I've played a mage extensively pre-luclin and played one here til 30, had to throw in.

I was excited to be the OP easy risk-free damage dealer again with pets on P99, no such luck. Can't even pretend to nuke, I'm just healing or chaincasting pets.

Not-classic at all, the gm's know it. They did this on purpose because Mages were semi-OP (which they were in classic).

Really I think it's time for every mage on the server to reroll a chanter so we can do insane pet damage, solo better than mages, AND be useful in almost every situation in all of EQ. If we all watch eachothers pets and ready stuns and mezes, easily tromp a group of mages who can't even nuke.

Did you try logging into beta to test the changes? I think if you played a mage extensively pre-luclin, then Haynar is looking for feedback from you.

Haynar
03-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Did you see how pet aggro is after last patch? Some of the changes should be in for pet aggro. More are coming.

H

pharmakos
03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
pets definitely are pulling more agro after the last patch. i've gotta change my necro's kiting strategy now so my pets don't die.

Velerin
03-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Has anyone checked out pet aggro on live?

H

Sorry first read this as eq live. I did a quick test this morning and seemed a lot better. Will test more tonight!

/cheer

Dalomar
03-27-2014, 12:42 AM
I'll test more as well, had been out of town and didn't know they were made. Look forward to the changes for pets!

Potus
03-27-2014, 12:58 AM
pets definitely are pulling more agro after the last patch. i've gotta change my necro's kiting strategy now so my pets don't die.

If you're aggro kiting just turn your pet's taunt off. If that fails, Heart Flutter line is a megataunt.

pharmakos
03-27-2014, 02:59 AM
yeah i'm a dumb warrior and forgot that my necro alt's pet had a taunt button i could turn off, lol.

Dalomar
03-27-2014, 03:18 AM
Wow!

Can even use them to tank an extra mob in groups with others healing etc. now.

Only played for two hours, but much more reminiscent of my old-school live Magician. Time to level a skill other than alteration for pet heal!