PDA

View Full Version : My New Favorite Game: Defiance

EchoedTruth
04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Hey everyone,

I just had to pop in and say that I picked up Defiance for the PS3 - and I am AMAZED. I went in with low expectations, and quickly had them blown away. This is the game I have been looking for, for so long. To me it is essentially Fallout 3 + Mass Effect + Borderlands wrapped into an MMORPG-Shooter. It is made by the same people who made Rift (which I also played, but this is far better). It has an arguably better UI, and similar inventory (and targeting) mechanics as Borderlands, the feel of Mass Effect 3, and the Mad Max style of Fallout.
The most important factor to me is the immersion - the world feels alive. You start out the game with an ATV you can summon, and you can get other vehicles as well (I'm riding around in a Twisted Metal-looking Dodge Challenger R/T atm :D ). There are world events (just like Rift) that turn into huge player-driven battles. The quest system works great (similar to Farcry 3, but better - you have a main quest and you can pick up other ones randomly around the world). It is just an all-around immersive, and incredibly fun game.

TL;DR: Defiance is an MMORPG-Shooter version of Fallout/Borderlands/Mass Effect all wrapped into one. It is a revolutionary step forward in console (and PC) gaming, and is an absolute blast to play.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I guess since some people can't see the obvious - when I say first of it's kind, I mean mass-marketed PS3/Xbox360/PC MMO - which has not been done yet. Also it is the first shooter MMORPG of this scale (It rapes Planetside, don't bother drawing comparisons).
Also, it is the first game to be launched to coincide with a TV show (which is supposed to be good according to industry previews).

I think that is enough to call it revolutionary... ?

Tecmos Deception
04-08-2013, 12:14 PM
How's it a revolution? All you did was describe ways it is similar to things that have been done (repeatedly, or maybe even to death) before. That's pretty much the opposite of a revolution.

Hell. You listed immersion as the best thing about the game and followed that sentence immediately with the fact that you can "summon" an ATV to you. What's immersive or revolutionary about that? :p

EchoedTruth
04-08-2013, 03:53 PM
How's it a revolution? All you did was describe ways it is similar to things that have been done (repeatedly, or maybe even to death) before. That's pretty much the opposite of a revolution.

Hell. You listed immersion as the best thing about the game and followed that sentence immediately with the fact that you can "summon" an ATV to you. What's immersive or revolutionary about that? :p

It's revolutionary because outside of DCUO (Which was... meh) it is the first true MMORPG for PS3/Xbox360/PC - not to mention the vehicles/open world aspect of it have never been done before. If you haven't played it, you wouldn't understand. Aspects of it have been done before, but nothing like this total package has ever been made.

EchoedTruth
04-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Its an alright game, playing on the Ps3 myself. My only problem is its not worth the 60$ by far. ok so its an Open World Shooter with RPG elements. Theres missions scattered throughout which is fine.. what rpg doesn't have 'quests'. You can que for multiplayer matches. You can do arkfalls.... I've yet to see a real 'boss' I've done all the arkfalls there is to do, arkfalls consist of like tons of people flocking to one spot and just.. killing crap. Lategame your farming your currency(s) for the tier4lockboxes and so fourth. IMO not worth dropping 60$ on. There better be free DLC or this will be F2P in no time

:confused:

There is a ton of DLC coming out for it, and I (imo) have gotten my $60 worth in 2 days so far. Not to mention the character system allows a ton of modification. Helluva lot more replay value than most games these days.

bizzum
04-08-2013, 04:05 PM
It's revolutionary because outside of DCUO (Which was... meh) it is the first true MMORPG for PS3/Xbox360/PC

FFXI has been a cross platform MMO for like 10 years now :p This one is definitely not the first. Didn't it even still have PS2 support up until this newest expansion (god I pray mercy on any soul who was still using a PS2 lol)?

Tecmos Deception
04-08-2013, 04:06 PM
It's revolutionary because outside of DCUO (Which was... meh) it is the first true MMORPG for PS3/Xbox360/PC - not to mention the vehicles/open world aspect of it have never been done before. If you haven't played it, you wouldn't understand. Aspects of it have been done before, but nothing like this total package has ever been made.

What is "open world aspect" supposed to mean? I'm not trying to be an ass, I just literally do not know what you mean by that.

OforOppression
04-08-2013, 04:33 PM
not to mention the vehicles/open world aspect of it have never been done before.

*cough* Planetside *cough*

EchoedTruth
04-08-2013, 04:55 PM
*cough* Planetside *cough*

Was Planetside on PS3 and Xbox 360? If so I need to get it ASAP :rolleyes:

EchoedTruth
04-08-2013, 04:55 PM
What is "open world aspect" supposed to mean? I'm not trying to be an ass, I just literally do not know what you mean by that.

In other words, it's not an instance-based game. The map is the map. No garbage instancing of zones / dungeons, etc... it has an old school, sandbox feel to it.

EchoedTruth
04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
FFXI has been a cross platform MMO for like 10 years now :p This one is definitely not the first. Didn't it even still have PS2 support up until this newest expansion (god I pray mercy on any soul who was still using a PS2 lol)?

I meant for this generation (PS3/Xbox360), not to mention this is a futuristic shooter, not fantasy RPG.... :confused:

OforOppression
04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Was Planetside on PS3 and Xbox 360? If so I need to get it ASAP :rolleyes:

Why would you play on a console? What kind of mongoloid are you?

EchoedTruth
04-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Why would you play on a console? What kind of mongoloid are you?

Because on PS3 you can buy a game and play it on 2 consoles, so my friend and I split the cost and we both get to play it. If making cost-efficient decisions makes me a mongoloid... shit... sign me up!

feanan
04-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Interesting enough, on other more gaming forums I'm on, this game has actually gotten a pretty good reception.

Most seem to like it, but think $60 is too expensive. And that the social aspect of it is pretty horrible.

OforOppression
04-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Because on PS3 you can buy a game and play it on 2 consoles, so my friend and I split the cost and we both get to play it. If making cost-efficient decisions makes me a mongoloid... shit... sign me up!

"I'm poor and had to split the game with a friend, that makes it good and revolutionary!"

MrSparkle001
04-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I don't know, a lot of people in Rift chat the past few days have been saying Defiance is not all that great unless you enjoy shooters (which, duh, makes sense). I'm not a shooter fan myself. I much prefer Rift's gameplay. I tried Planetside 2 and was bored to tears. It's so bland.

I'll be sticking with Rift, until maybe Elder Scrolls Online. Maybe.

EchoedTruth
04-08-2013, 06:23 PM
"I'm poor and had to split the game with a friend, that makes it good and revolutionary!"

Not sure if you're kidding or just a moron but...

That definitely wasn't why I called the game revolutionary! :D

Gwence
04-09-2013, 05:46 PM
syfy coming out with a series based on this game, or its out now I dunno. I can't play games like this on consoles.. yuck

I'm a huge mass effect fan, have played all of them.. playing these games on 360 or ps3 should be a crime.

OforOppression
04-09-2013, 05:52 PM
playing these games on 360 or ps3 should be a crime.

QFT

only reason I had an xbox was for halo and gow, if those were on PC i'd of never bought the hunk of junk

PS3 was just because it was cheaper than a normal blu-ray player at the time

Piff
04-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Hey everyone,

I just had to pop in and say that I picked up Defiance for the PS3

PS3? Uhoh. my tastes are better than your tastes, pc master race, muh graphics, etc.
It's probably pretty fun though as long as you don't care about the graphical quality, availability of game modifications, the online community, or having to pay for it.

Enjoy your second-rate gaming, friend.

Gwence
04-09-2013, 07:47 PM
I bought fallout 3 on ps3 and tried to play it, I couldnt do it, wasnt a question of graphics or anything I just can't aim for shit with a controller.

I liked the game so went and bought it on PC and simply put it's far superior

I really only use my ps3 for blu ray's and netflix now.