PDA

View Full Version : Camelot unchained kickstarter is live

Issues
04-08-2013, 02:14 AM
Enjoy DAoC RVR? It's not DAOC 2.0 but RVR only...take a peek.

Foundation Principles...good stuff :

http://camelotunchained.com/en/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained?ref=live

Issues
04-08-2013, 02:24 AM
way too many kickstarters MMOs out dude

market for "support my game" shit is beyond saturated

Yeah, but this has the essence of DAOC in it. Which was a hit and the masses who want RVR with a fresh twist will make this project, less of a project and more of game in serious development.

nearly half way to 2 mil and 24 days left..it will be funded. Won't be live until 2016 probably but hey, its nice to have this title on the horizon.

Byrjun
04-08-2013, 02:39 AM
way too many kickstarters MMOs out dude

market for "support my game" shit is beyond saturated

It's not some random douche who has MMO dreams, it's Mark Jacobs. It'll get funded and he knows that.

Edit: I didn't check the kickstarter until after this post, it's already almost halfway to goal at $925,865 with nearly a month left. Like I said, this game will get massive funding and I'm looking forward to playing it.

Autotune
04-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I'll fund the mother fucker when it's released and people say... "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME!"

yakno... like how it's supposed to work.

FoxxHound
04-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I'll fund the mother fucker when it's released and people say... "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME!"

Tecmos Deception
04-08-2013, 10:52 AM

Except that even then I probably won't fund/buy/whatever, cause people are dumb and I don't trust them!

Insedeel
04-17-2013, 02:02 PM
The difference for me is that I want to support something that doesn't have big corporations and capitalist money grubbing a$$es (dollar sign pun entirely intended;) ) being the "bosses", because to corporations it's more about what brings in the most people regardless of how long they stay to make a quick dollar, and then scrap the game if it doesn't hold people once they've squeezed as much profit out of the game as possible.

If you take a look at the foundational principles you'll see that MJ even talks about how it's so nice for him to be able to not have to worry about if he's going to piss off the boss because he wants to take a risk at making a more "niche" game or take a risk for the "fun" of the game instead of what will bring in the most "tourists" to the game who buy the game, play for a month, and then go on to the next game.

His focus is to make a game that will hold long-time players and not the FoTM themepark mmo Kiddies who come in expecting everything handed to them on a silver platter. Even if that what that means is losing out on a lot of money from that type of crowd. He doesn't want that because it's for the betterment of his game to have long-time followers and a solid strong community instead of the constant stream of players who just hop in, try it for a month and then leave. This game is going back to a lot of the roots of RPGs, thing like a full statistical distribution during character creation for example. You bork your stat distribution during creation, tough, deal with it. No AH, so people can actually you know, auction, haggle, and ... god forbid INTERACT with people on a MMORPG (yay p99 and EC tunnel here!!). Very limited forms of fast travel, no mounts (or if there are, they will never be faster than the class that provides speed buffs is the promise there), and a more meager mapping system so it's not a perfectly detailed GPS system which more allows you to look at your surroundings and have that sense of immersion and discovery, etc.

Anyone who has their doubts, please give their kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained) page a gander, or at the VERY least, read through the foundational principles (http://camelotunchained.com/en/category/foundationalprinciple/?orderby=date&order=asc) and then base your decision from there.

Those of us that play on P99 are here (at least a good portion of us) because we're sick of the themepark based MMOs of today that take away from the realism, immersion, discovery, exploration, interaction, and socialization. We like the challenge that our favorite old MMORPGs gave us back in the days of the UO/EQ/DAOC era, the choices available, and non-pigeon holed linear gameplay that today's MMOs are based around, and most importantly IMHO, this is a NEW game without a large corporation and publisher telling them what they can and can't do to make a game.

Obviously all of these reasons are outside of the fact that this game is offering an MMORPG with its entire focus on making an awesome RvR game for the best open world pvp available, and a player made economy (instead of player driven) because all of the worth while gear will be made by crafters in the game instead of being drop/token based.

Swish
04-17-2013, 02:59 PM
RvR? I'd love to see any emulator attract enough people to it that you can effectively run RvR content... how many are on board?

OforOppression
04-17-2013, 03:27 PM
i've given up hope on getting old DAoC RvR back, I'm just sobbing while I play GW2 WvW

Insedeel
04-17-2013, 03:34 PM
RvR? I'd love to see any emulator attract enough people to it that you can effectively run RvR content... how many are on board?

That's why this kickstarter is awesome, just take a peak at what it's all about. It's an entire MMO based purely around giving the best RvR experience out there and it doesn't have to be an emulator, it's actually a real game made by the original creator of DAOC. Also one of the promises he made as well in his CSE SUBSCRIBER PROMISES (what his startup company promises to their customers) is that if this game he's creating ever went belly up and he'd have to close the doors on the game he would release the server software to the public so that instead of having an emulated server, you can actually run a REAL server.

CSE SUBSCRIBER PROMISES #7

7) We will release the compiled server code if we shut the game down. When the day comes that Camelot Unchained is shut down (only WoW will apparently live forever), we will make all the complied server code (and adequate installation and operations documentation) available through a code repository, without warranty of course and under the appropriate license(s) so that gamers can get the game back up and running. In the event that we shut the company down, we will also add the source code to the repository unless prevented to by law/legal agreement.

That promise from CSE should be enough for most of the MMO Emulator crowd to jump on supporting this project just on principle. This promise definitely was one of the huge determining factors for me in convincing me to support this kickstarter (I'm at the highest I can afford haha, $350).

i've given up hope on getting old DAoC RvR back, I'm just sobbing while I play GW2 WvW

OforOppression, Mark Jacobs was one of the founders of mythic and the DAoC you knew which I'm sure you're already aware, so if anyone can make a true spiritual successor to DAoC's rvr (even though he says he doesn't want to call it a spiritual successor or anything like that, because he doesn't want to dissapoint people if it's not exactly what people are expecting), it's definitely MJ, and especially like I explained before, since he doesn't have to answer to any parent corporation/publisher. One of the MANY things that made old DAOC great was because Mythic did start out as a small company and didn't have to answer to a corporation like EA.

Also, the answer to many of the burning questions thus far is all compiled nicely at this page https://camelotunchained.wikispaces.com/Unofficial+Camelot+Unchained+FAQ

OforOppression
04-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I know about the project, this isn't going to come out for at least 3 years and kickstarter games have never done well.

Insedeel
04-17-2013, 04:04 PM
I know about the project, this isn't going to come out for at least 3 years and kickstarter games have never done well.

I dunno, Shadowrun Returns is looking pretty polished, and Wasteland 2.. And yea, it's a long time to wait.. Although I'll be in from the beginning of the alpha all the way to release, so it's going to only be like a year for me hehe...

Also, don't forget that MJ is throwing in 2Million of his own money into this project if it funds, and he has another couple friends who are investing another 1million into it, so at minimum if the crowd funding goes through, that'll be 5 million into the development of the game, so it's probably going to be among highest funding in total of kickstarters thus far.

Scrooge
04-28-2013, 04:15 PM

Uthgard Server
Players: 1050

Date/Time: Sunday April 28 4pm est

OforOppression
04-28-2013, 05:01 PM
yeah play with a bunch of euros that have e-honour 7 man fights instead of real RvR

SamwiseRed
04-28-2013, 06:31 PM
eq next

Nuk3Afr1ca
04-29-2013, 08:45 PM
All they have to do is remove /stick, add collision detection, and make it similar to how DAoC was before and it will be good.