PDA

View Full Version : can pets wear armor?

pharmakos
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
^^^

-Catherin-
04-01-2013, 09:21 PM
yes

pharmakos
04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
not that i disbelieve you (you're usually pretty knowledgeable, and i hope you're right :)), but http://wiki.project1999.org/Pet_Guide says:

There are many questions as to how pets work on p1999. I am not sure of the answers. If you know, please fill in this information with a reference to a thread, parsed log, or other reason why you think you're right.

- Can pets equip armor? What slots do they have?
- Can pets equip no drop items?
- Do pets follow class (or other) restrictions on items?
- Do pets gain stats (i.e. +sta, +HP) from items?
- What about giving 2H weapons or shields to dual wielding pets?

how do you know pets can equip armor? if you've got solid evidence then please enlighten us, and update the wiki :)

thanks!

formallydickman
04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Pets are NPCs. NPCs can and do equip armor. For an example, go look at the random yellowish bits on mistmoore NPCs that have bronze. (shouldn't display, but that's a story for another day)

Thats from Uthgaard a few years ago.

Link to discussion: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17115&highlight=Pets+wear+armor&page=2

Zallar
04-02-2013, 12:53 PM
http://wiki.project1999.org/Muzzle_of_Mardu

Haste mask, give it to a pet and it will wear it.

Tecmos Deception
04-02-2013, 02:07 PM
http://wiki.project1999.org/Muzzle_of_Mardu

Haste mask, give it to a pet and it will wear it.

Sure sure. But if you give a pet a whole set of banded armor, will he suddenly be taking noticeably less melee damage? I assumed that is what the OP was asking about, not whether pets will use haste masks or show the model of armor they've been given or whatever.

Valium
04-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Info pulled from Samanna's Reference Desk (http://samanna.net/eq.general/pets.shtml):

------------------------------

Pet slots are very similar to PC character slots, with a few exceptions.

1. Pets only have a single ring, bracer, and earring slot.

2. Pets do not appear to have a charm slot, if they do it would have no effect as pets could not alter the stats on charms.

This leaves us with:

A primary weapon slot
A secondary weapon slot
A ranged item slot
A shoulder slot
A legs slot
A chest slot
A head slot
A foot slot
A hands slot
A arms slot
A back slot
A face slot
A *single* finger slot
A *single* wrist
A *single* ear slot
A neck slot

Now, when you summon your pet, these slots are unoccupied unless you are a magician over 60 with a pet foci. For higher level magicians, focused pets come summoned with some weak plate armor pre-equipped:

Slot-Focused Armor AC

Chest-17
Head-10
Legs-10
Hands-9
Arms-8
Feet-8
One wrist-7
Empty Waist Slot-0
Empty Face Slot-0
Empty Range Slot-0
Empty Neck Slot-0
Empty Back Slot-0
Empty Shoulder Slot-0
One empty finger slot-0
One empty ear slot-0

Knowing that your pet has armor is important for upgrading an already equipped pet.

-------------------------------

Procs (weapons only): Procs can have a massive effect on pet damage or utility, depending on the proc, but not always.

AC: AC has been determined to have a very large effect on pet tanking power, look for stuff with lots of AC.

Assorted mods: Spell Shielding, Shielding, + DS, accuracy, etc. can all helpt the pet a lot, unfortunately finding these on droppable gear is very rare. Haste is *not* recommended, as a simple summoned mask + a haste buff will easily make the pet hit the 100 % cap.

HP: HP is very helpful for pets, especially when you're giving them all sorts of expensive gear. More HP is useful not only when the pet is tanking, but also for eating AEs and the like.

Mana: The only pet that casts spells is the fire pet, his mana pool is huge and his mana regen massive, giving him a couple hundred more mana from gear would have very little effect.

Strength: This stat has been shown to have a marked increase in pet offensive power. It should not be the first stat you look for, but is important if you want to max your pet's damage potential.

Dexterity: Beastlords tell me that dex buffs definitely help their pet's procrate. I'm going to assume this is helpful to buff up. Procs add damage, but they're not the pet's main method. Look for this, but not as the main thing.

Agility: Little effect on pets, but it will help defensive procs and tanking slightly, definitely nowhere near the effect of AC.

Stamina: Pets have a *set* amount of HP, this cannot be altered by stamina, thus, stamina is useless. Last I heard the devs might be looking to alter this, but as of the moment don't bother with stamina.

---------------------------

It happens often, your pet is already equipped with a piece of gear and you want to give him something new. Of course, you could always resummon, but then you'd lose everything else on your pet. Pets don't just use the last item they're given, they have rules about when they'll upgrade.

Weapons: Pets upgrade weapons for delay. If you gave your pet two rockin' uberproc weapons with tons of HP that had 20 delay, and then handed him a club with 0 stats and 19 delay, he'd destroy one of the uberweapons in favor of the lower delay one. Delay also determines what he'll wield in mainhand. The pet's mainhand gets roughly twice the procs of the pet's offhand. So if you want lots of procs from your uber proc weapon, make sure it has lower delay than the other weapon you're giving to your pet.

Armor: Pets upgrade armor for AC, plain and simple. They'll take a 1 AC upgrade over +1,000 HP every time. That doesn't mean that 1 AC > 1,000 HP, simply that thats how pets upgrade. For high level mages, when shopping for pet armor, make sure it is at least one more AC than the armor the pet comes pre-summoned with, or it won't be equipped.

Infectious
04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
I thought it was posted here by a gm that pets do not take on delay like classic but damage. Give your pet 2 fs daggers. He hits same rate if you have him 2 one handers with double the delay. One thing I know pet takes on is the damage.

pharmakos
04-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Thats from Uthgaard a few years ago.

Link to discussion: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17115&highlight=Pets+wear+armor&page=2

excellent, thank you

Sure sure. But if you give a pet a whole set of banded armor, will he suddenly be taking noticeably less melee damage? I assumed that is what the OP was asking about, not whether pets will use haste masks or show the model of armor they've been given or whatever.

yes, this is what i meant

-Catherin-
04-02-2013, 10:12 PM
I know I was running around charming mobs in mistmore (the dark elf models) and giving them bronze armor that dropped and they would actually put it on (you could see the bronze graphic) whether or not they take the stats in the same way I do not know, but they are proof npcs do put the armor on

Also I give negative MR gear to my charmed pets of significantly higher level and difficulty, and it makes an extreme difference

Estu
04-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Also I give negative MR gear to my charmed pets of significantly higher level and difficulty, and it makes an extreme difference

This is brilliant!

Tecmos Deception
04-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Is -20 all the negative MR you can give a pet, assuming they only equip 1 ring? I wish there was a single uberspreadsheet of all gear in the game on the wiki; I'm too lazy to look through every slot for every class to sort by MR... lol.

falkun
04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm too lazy to look through every slot for every class to sort by MR... lol.

Just look "by slot", regardless of class: http://wiki.project1999.org/Equipment_By_Slot

Tecmos Deception
04-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Did you try it for yourself to see how that actually works?

Mousing over every item in the game to check for negative MR is even worse than looking through every class+slot and sorting. That's why I talked about wanting a consolidated spreadsheet of all the items so I could just sort by negative MR instead :p

falkun
04-03-2013, 09:57 AM
I hadn't, and for that I apologize. I pulled it up and I see what you mean: useless. The charts are automatically generated based on meta-data from the individual item-pages, but I do not know how complicated it would be to create new/less restrictive filters for new charts for combing the wiki.

Tecmos Deception
04-03-2013, 10:02 AM
I hadn't, and for that I apologize. I pulled it up and I see what you mean: useless. The charts are automatically generated based on meta-data from the individual item-pages, but I do not know how complicated it would be to create new/less restrictive filters for new charts for combing the wiki.

Np. When I first clicked that link I was thinking "Sweet, this will work nicely."

Then I saw links to individual items sorted alphabetically and cried a little :(

-Catherin-
04-03-2013, 10:09 AM
adamantite rings and spiked rusty shoulderpads are the best bet. as a chanter AND a camper I sometimes have an excess of jacinths and will craft them into the -MR rings too. (silver)

Tecmos Deception
04-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Gotcha. Those are the things I found too, and I seem to recall transferring BAGS full of those (and lariats and deadwood staves) for Loraen once when he was switching bank alts... lol.

It's no malosini, but it's an extra half of a tash I guess. Certainly can't hurt if you're using the same pet for a long period of time or if you are stuck with a 51+ pet or something.

-Catherin-
04-03-2013, 11:16 AM
yeah I have an alt specifically for pet weapons and armor and recharges hehe