PDA

View Full Version : Merchants: Getting overcharged for buying in bulk

Casezilla
11-20-2009, 03:37 AM
On 2 separate Human warriors, I've been overcharged for buying multiple items at once. Tiny Daggers cost 1 SP when bought 1 at a time, but on two separate occasions I was charged 1 GP 4 CP for buying 10 Tiny Daggers at once. Haven't had much time or money to do further experiments, but it definitely seems like something is wrong.

Bubbles
11-20-2009, 06:11 AM
It's a problem that's easy to recreate.. I used to do it all the time when i used to buy bone chips in stacks of 20s on freeport merchants (long time ago, when the silly human's didnt realize bone chip quests were a quick boat ride away).

It works like this..

Say a merchant has 89 bone chips.

You buy 20. Get charges 1 silver 4 copper per chip like normal.

You *DO NOT* exit out from the merchant and right click open him up again.

The Price of the bone chips, if you never leave the merchant and come back. Will temporarily riseto like 1-3g per bone chip.

Amusingly if you buy a single bone chip (or more) at the price, and THEN buy more the price drops back down to 1 silver 4 copper again.

It's a weird bug and been around forever. I never thought to report it bcuz, let's face it, you never think about it except for the exact second it's happening, and it's so rare you'll ever buy more than 20 of a perishable good from a merchant.

As far as I know this bug only comes into play against merchants with a *fixed* amount of a certain item.. You can spam buy peridots and batwings and water flasks or anything else a merchant is selling "unlimited" amounts of and never have the price fluctuate.

Casezilla
11-20-2009, 11:12 AM
It definitely happens with unlimited stocks, and it seems to happen on the first purchase from a vendor session as well subsequent purchases. At least with Tiny Daggers. Its not a big deal, when buying stacks of them it was only a 2cp overcharge per stack, but its definitely broken, and it may be more significant when buying higher priced items, like dots or metals, etc.

Takshaka
11-20-2009, 12:36 PM
I thought this may have been happening to me before. I bought a stack of gems for pet summoning and the math I did in my head didn't add up to the price I paid. I assumed that I was just being an idiot and calculated wrong. Again this was at the most only a small difference, which is why I didn't really worry about it.

Ill double check next time I log in as I think that I am low on Lapis Lazuli.

Bigcountry23
11-20-2009, 01:10 PM
I have also seen an issue where if you buy a stack of something that is "limited", the price you pay for the stack suddenly become the price of an individual piece (for example, if an individual peice is 1g, you pay 2PP for a stack, suddenly the cost is 2pp for an individual piece).

This can be cleared by closing the merchant and reopening, but it can be a pain (and VERY costly if you don't notice it).

Some examples I have seen of this are Silk Swatches and Wolf Meat.

emubird
11-21-2009, 01:54 AM
This is a problem related to the client we use. I petitioned this issue when stacks of items first became purchaseable, and a GM on live explained this as follows:

There is an error in rounding, made by the client, whenever the price of multiple items is tallied. "Think of it as an extra charge for the convenience of buying in bulk," is basically what the GM told me.

You can always avoid the problem by buying items singly. The extra cost of buying stacked items is usually small, except with gems and metal bars, where it can add up to quite a lot. Of course, if you are at the point where buying stacks of rubies is not a big deal, then neither is the 40pp or so extra that you are losing.