PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Instant Cast Items and the Spell Gem Refresh Timer

Kainzo
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
When I was playing in Classic, many moons ago. I remember Jboots were very coveted for casters. Not especially for the run speed but more importantly for the effect the instant cast item had an effect on the global refresh time on the spell gems.

Whenever a caster would cast a spell, normally it would take 1.5-2 seconds for the gems to come up so they could cast yet again. However, if the caster were to use an instant cast item - they would be able to "instantly" refresh the cool down of the spell gems which made them able to cast a second faster.

I tested this last night as soon as I picked up my Jboots (fuck you AC and thanks Splinko for camping with me) that it indeed did not lessen the global cool down.

Any thoughts on this?

Dersk
06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
In Luclin or PoP era, spell gems were changed so that insta-click items did not refresh spell gems, *and* a minimum recast time was added. This introduced problems like "spell time recovery not yet met" messages on particularly fast casting spells even when spells were behaving as they were coded.

It's just one of those mechanics that got changed and hasn't been changed back on this serve.r

astarothel
06-23-2010, 12:23 PM
probably a good chance that it can't be fixed either, leaning towards a client thing.

Yoite
06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
ya it was a cool trick, i don't know if they can implement it here though =/

Kainzo
06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
It was one of the best things about classic and boosted hybrid and caster DPS. It was a major part of raiding too from what I remember. It does sorta sound like a client side thing. Which sadly holds us back on so many things.

Kainzo
06-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Any developer thoughts on this?

Aeolwind
06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I would lean towards client, but refresh time on spells in general is controlled by the spells table.

Kainzo
06-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Interesting, that means it may be possible to revert this to classic mechanics.

Haynar
06-25-2010, 02:10 PM
It might. But that would depend on the admins here, if they want this mechanic back in. Some mechanics made things very unbalancing. This was one of them, especially when it comes to high damage long recast spells.

Haynar

Kainzo
06-25-2010, 02:29 PM
it mainly aided in refreshing your global cooldown (the 1.5-2 sec) one you get whenever you cast any spell. I don't remember it automatically refreshing the one that had the much longer recast. Though I could be wrong.

Aeolwind
06-25-2010, 02:35 PM
it mainly aided in refreshing your global cooldown (the 1.5-2 sec) one you get whenever you cast any spell. I don't remember it automatically refreshing the one that had the much longer recast. Though I could be wrong.

It didn't hit the normal cooldowns. just the global between spells. <3'd my 8th coldain ring for this.

Yoite
06-25-2010, 02:38 PM
ya like you root and it resist oh shit Jboots click now your can re-root instaly instead of waiting 2 seconds or so. or you could just run some until global CD, i never used it much despite know it existed. i think the only time i *really* used it was on my enc and i had agro and was runing to keep from dieing, i knew the mob was gonna go through the runes quick so i would rune clicky rune clicky to save that 2 seconds when i really needed to get another fresh rune up quick.

as far as i know it didnt refresh specific spell cooldowns, like FD for instance, i dont think you could FD, then stand up Jboots and FD right again. But i didnt play any FD classes back then nor did i really use this tactic much.

Kainzo
06-25-2010, 02:54 PM
ya like you root and it resist oh shit Jboots click now your can re-root instaly instead of waiting 2 seconds or so. or you could just run some until global CD, i never used it much despite know it existed. i think the only time i *really* used it was on my enc and i had agro and was runing to keep from dieing, i knew the mob was gonna go through the runes quick so i would rune clicky rune clicky to save that 2 seconds when i really needed to get another fresh rune up quick.

as far as i know it didnt refresh specific spell cooldowns, like FD for instance, i dont think you could FD, then stand up Jboots and FD right again. But i didnt play any FD classes back then nor did i really use this tactic much.

It's true. This was useful because it allowed casters to be more effective in crappy situations (root resist etc). I do hope we will be able to put this classic (and very useful) mechanic back in. To my knowledge it was taken out in SoL/PoP when they revamped the casting system.

Haynar
06-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Oh, so it only lets you refresh the gem bar, not specific spells waiting on recast. That way you could bypass the 2 sec spell gem refresh.

Gotcha.

Ya, that would probably be doable.

Haynar

Kainzo
06-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh, so it only lets you refresh the gem bar, not specific spells waiting on recast. That way you could bypass the 2 sec spell gem refresh.

Gotcha.

Ya, that would probably be doable.

Haynar

God that would be hot. I'm 110% sure this would make a ton of casters happy!

Argentate
10-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Buuuump.

Casters need to be un-nerfed to their classic form. Thank you.

Ruprecht
03-15-2013, 01:18 AM
What's the status on this?

Kevynne
03-15-2013, 01:57 AM

Need to un nerd whirl first IMO.
I want proof of the whirl nerd beng classic!
Cus it sure as hell ain't nerfed on cazic Thule-bristlebane

Kevynne
03-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Omfg fuck you apple.
*nerf

Kainzo
04-10-2013, 09:03 AM

Even though I lost my password, I still would like to know too :)

Technique
10-09-2013, 05:10 PM
bump

Technique
12-06-2013, 11:57 AM
has there been any dev comment on this issue more recent than 3 years ago?

Nirgon
12-06-2013, 11:58 AM
When I was playing in Classic, many moons ago. I remember Jboots were very coveted for casters. Not especially for the run speed but more importantly for the effect the instant cast item had an effect on the global refresh time on the spell gems.

Whenever a caster would cast a spell, normally it would take 1.5-2 seconds for the gems to come up so they could cast yet again. However, if the caster were to use an instant cast item - they would be able to "instantly" refresh the cool down of the spell gems which made them able to cast a second faster.

I tested this last night as soon as I picked up my Jboots (fuck you AC and thanks Splinko for camping with me) that it indeed did not lessen the global cool down.

Any thoughts on this?

True into Velious, not sure on exact date is was removed in Velious tho.

Iumuno
12-10-2013, 01:31 AM
True into Velious, not sure on exact date is was removed in Velious tho.

Actually this was removed during PoP, around December 2002 or early 2003.

Nirgon
12-10-2013, 03:09 PM
I think they changed it in very late Velious, then lost the change again with spell system redoings.

Definitely lasted all of Classic-Kunark and at least half of Velious.

Something'Witty
12-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Any comment from the Dev team on this issue?

Iumuno
12-10-2013, 03:48 PM
I think they changed it in very late Velious, then lost the change again with spell system redoings.

Definitely lasted all of Classic-Kunark and at least half of Velious.

As someone who (ab)used this mechanic, I can guarantee you that this wasn't fixed until the january 15 2003 patch.

Quoted from the patch message.

"- Raised all recast times below 2.25 seconds up to 2.25 seconds. This
is a change in the spell data as the first part of a two-part change
needed to correct the "Recast time not met" problem. More information
is available at the Developer's Corner at www.everquest.com. "

This was obscure, but what actually happened along with that fix is that insta cast items no longer resetted the global cooldown.

Kainzo
02-14-2014, 06:17 PM
I forgot I even reported this. This was a VITAL mechanic that wasn't fixed until PoP+.