PDA

View Full Version : Live EC tunnel feed

wifeaggro
03-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Hey all, only a few people know about this, and I think it's ready to open and accept few more people if some of you are interested and may want to pay plats for the service, it's subscription based.

Please PM me your in-game name for the URL, I will be on tonight to /tell, gonna be away for few hours :)

http://i46.tinypic.com/2iabfpx.png

kenzar
03-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Lol, thats a pretty clever idea. Hope it works out for ya!

Wankertank
03-26-2013, 03:57 PM
What this should really do is post to rails app that has a real time 'ticker' for items, showing the price on items real time...a la the stock market. It would help start bidding wars and hopefully keep prices down. Or make for an interesting trading game if anything.

pharmakos
03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
this already exists for free http://ahungry.com/eqauctions

if some of you are interested and may want to pay plats for the service, it's subscription based.

^^ i don't think you're allowed to charge in-game plat for something like this.

kenzar
03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
this already exists for free http://ahungry.com/eqauctions

^^ i don't think you're allowed to charge in-game plat for something like this.

I think your definition of LIVE and the actual definition of LIVE may differ.

Swish
03-26-2013, 08:24 PM
I think your definition of LIVE and the actual definition of LIVE may differ.

The "ahungry" site is a great way of tracking down an item on someone who might not have sold it in the last 1-2 weeks however... swings and roundabouts :)

Anesthia
03-27-2013, 12:38 PM
The URL is in the bottom left of your screenshot. Also, ahungry is free and allows regexp-style searches, so it wins.

Swish
03-27-2013, 01:19 PM
I can understand people wanting to get paid for putting a program together, entrepreneuererial spirit is a good thing... but yeah...

...ahungry is free and allows regexp-style searches, so it wins.

Ramsus
03-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Ahungry is terrible compared to the program that this guy wrote. I constantly have a window open on my second monitor while I'm playing so that I don't have to sit in ecommons all night to buy or sell an item. See someone selling an item you want or buying an item you want to unload? Log on to your mule in ecommons real quick and make the sale or purchase. This thing is literally streaming live at all times, most of the times I check the ahungry auctions its hours or even a day off. I would recommend asking for a trial account and sampling this delicious little program for yourselves!

Wankertank
03-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Can you just live stream a log file like that? i didn't realize it was written to real time.

kotton05
03-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Yea this program is amazing, and i'd donate for it for sure.

Nune
03-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Yea this program is amazing, and i'd donate for it for sure.

pharmakos
03-27-2013, 05:24 PM
pay plats for the service, it's subscription based.

this has gotta be against the rules though. there was a guy that got banned for accepting in-game plat in exchange for computer repair services...

Bidoof
03-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Just word it correctly. You're not paying plat for the code and the website, you're paying for access to the toon he has parked in EC who is generating the log files. If you can pay for ingame services like PLs, why not for generating a log?

I'm sure one of our young lawyers can confirm or deny this reading of the rules.

Randy
03-27-2013, 05:54 PM
ahungry's is only delayed because no one uploads their logs. get more involved and it'd be fine.

if this guy is using a log, wouldn't he have to have a character in the EC 24/7? So that would mean he never plays outside the EC or has an illegal boxing exemption. weird.

Bidoof
03-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Or he has a friend who rarely plays who makes the logs, he's just the go-between.

I should become a young lawyer.

Swish
03-27-2013, 05:58 PM
if this guy is using a log, wouldn't he have to have a character in the EC 24/7? So that would mean he never plays outside the EC or has an illegal boxing exemption. weird.

Probably has minimal interest in the server, he's here for your $$

Thulack
03-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Also could just have a account logged in all the time at his place of business. I mean at my job i could easily set a toon up to run 24/7 doing this is someone tells me how to do it :P

Gadwen
03-27-2013, 06:22 PM
this has gotta be against the rules though. there was a guy that got banned for accepting in-game plat in exchange for computer repair services...

Whats the difference between trading plat for RL services and trading RL services for plat?

pharmakos
03-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Whats the difference between trading plat for RL services and trading RL services for plat?

uh.... i suppose it all depends on which side of the transaction you're on =p

enr4ged
03-27-2013, 06:41 PM
You've got to be kidding me... I could literally set this up in about 6 hours... although I wouldn't CHARGE people for it.

And like some people are saying, it's pretty fishy when this is running 24/7... How does this guy play? If he's running it on a remote computer somewhere else, that's technically dual boxing.

wifeaggro
03-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Great discussion. I can't defend it better than Bidoof. This is not unrelated/outside computer repair service, or any RMT merchandise, this is the EC tunnel chat log I redirect to you. Anyway, the idea is, if GM doesn't allow it, my next step would be an android app with ads to live stream this, that I think it's allowed from what I heard, which is strange since now it involves real cash in the ad...

I have a friend who has a character and afk in EC

EDIT: for real, I have few more friends being the client side just in case one of the clients disconnected or crashed

Gadwen
03-27-2013, 06:48 PM
uh.... i suppose it all depends on which side of the transaction you're on =p

lol, im just being an ass. But seriously, I don't see how this is different than trading Plat for computer repairs. I wonder if they would have allowed it if he said that he fixed the comp so he could play EQ.

pharmakos
03-27-2013, 06:48 PM
GMs here tend to ban first and ask questions later, just fyi. you might wanna ask one first.

wifeaggro
03-27-2013, 06:51 PM
It's okay. It's all pixels anyway :D . alright , gonna be gone for the day, have fun.

Bidoof
03-27-2013, 07:57 PM
I can't defend it better than Bidoof.

I'm on the case!

But seriously, I don't see how this is different than trading Plat for computer repairs. I wonder if they would have allowed it if he said that he fixed the comp so he could play EQ.

Objection! ... Um, for something! The comparison doesn't hold up. The repair work is a real life activity. My client is offering his software and his programming time free, pro bono. He merely charges a small fee for his (or as my client has stated on the record, his friend's) character's logging service. People pay 2kpp an hour for PLs; what my client charges PER DAY is significantly less, and is only for the time of the character in the game world.

Byrjun
03-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Like I told wifeaggro in-game, I loved this service when it was free. Now, I can't use it anymore which kinda sucks. I'd definitely consider paying the plat, but it's not worth risking a ban for. It's too grey area for me, which is too bad since it was really nice back when it was free.

Gadwen
03-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Objection! ... Um, for something! The comparison doesn't hold up. The repair work is a real life activity. My client is offering his software and his programming time free, pro bono. He merely charges a small fee for his (or as my client has stated on the record, his friend's) character's logging service. People pay 2kpp an hour for PLs; what my client charges PER DAY is significantly less, and is only for the time of the character in the game world.

The problem is that your client is charging in game plat for a service that is intended to be used outside of the game. Yes the info comes from a character sitting in the game, but this kind of thing be allowed and advertised on the forums would be absurd. How much plat could someone make with 100 bots sitting in various places around the world collecting data about stuff going on in the game? Paying for a PL all takes place in the game, it really isn't the same thing.

I rest my case.

Bidoof
03-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Redirect! Rebuttal! Re-another-thing!

My client is merely offering an in-game resource from an in-game resource. I admit, counsel's PL analogy was flawed, and I apologize for that (sad face to the jury). Perhaps a couple of more direct examples would be in order. If it pleases the court:

Scenario 1: Player 1 is solo'ing in Burned Wood, which is off of Felwithe this week (juries love old jokes). Player 2 is standing in the EC tunnel, retyping everything auctioned, and sending it in tells to Player 1. At the end of the day, Player 1 meets up with Player 2 and gives him some platinum for his trouble.

Scenario 2: Player 1 is looking for an item, say, a Rusty Dagger. Its the one upgrade Player 1 needs in order to complete his gear. Player 1 makes a post on the p1999 boards saying "WTB Rusty Dagger, 10k. Offering a finder's fee. Ask your non-existent friends to check their bags!" Player 2 knows a guy (Player 3) who has 2 handmade backpacks full of rusty daggers, and lets Player 1 know on the boards. Player 1, happy to finally be decked out, pays Player 2 his finder's fee and and then negotiates Player 3 down to 12k on his dagger (Player 3 really knows how to haggle).

These scenarios are of course not exact. The technical aspects are obvious different. These scenarios were devised to answer a specific question: is it ok to charge ingame plats for a service out of game.

In Scenario 1, aside from disproving the statement that this product only has "out of game" usage, we can see that paying someone to tell you what is being auctioned is a lot like paying for a log of the auctions.

In Scenario 2, we see that this service, when used out of the game, is not unlike placing a personal ad on the boards and offering a reward for finding it. Finder's fees in the EC Tunnels, while not common practice, have been done before, and most people would agree that there's nothing wrong with that (wait for jury to nod agreement). So paying for information about auctions out of game is already accepted.

Ladies and gentlemen, in conclusion, I must say that there is no "real world" advantage to this product. Yes, you can see things being sold in game while you're not in the game. Yes, that costs a modest in-game fee. But it offers no real world boon to my client. He earns in-game rewards, for information about in-game auctions, from people who must then go in-game to use the information for in-game transactions.

I'm a shoe-in for the Young Lawyer's Bar Association. ... Wait, that's actually a thing (http://www.americanbar.org/groups/young_lawyers.html)?

Gadwen
03-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Redirect! Rebuttal! Re-another-thing!

My client is merely offering an in-game resource from an in-game resource. I admit, counsel's PL analogy was flawed, and I apologize for that (sad face to the jury). Perhaps a couple of more direct examples would be in order. If it pleases the court:

Scenario 1: Player 1 is solo'ing in Burned Wood, which is off of Felwithe this week (juries love old jokes). Player 2 is standing in the EC tunnel, retyping everything auctioned, and sending it in tells to Player 1. At the end of the day, Player 1 meets up with Player 2 and gives him some platinum for his trouble.

Scenario 2: Player 1 is looking for an item, say, a Rusty Dagger. Its the one upgrade Player 1 needs in order to complete his gear. Player 1 makes a post on the p1999 boards saying "WTB Rusty Dagger, 10k. Offering a finder's fee. Ask your non-existent friends to check their bags!" Player 2 knows a guy (Player 3) who has 2 handmade backpacks full of rusty daggers, and lets Player 1 know on the boards. Player 1, happy to finally be decked out, pays Player 2 his finder's fee and and then negotiates Player 3 down to 12k on his dagger (Player 3 really knows how to haggle).

These scenarios are of course not exact. The technical aspects are obvious different. These scenarios were devised to answer a specific question: is it ok to charge ingame plats for a service out of game.

In Scenario 1, aside from disproving the statement that this product only has "out of game" usage, we can see that paying someone to tell you what is being auctioned is a lot like paying for a log of the auctions.

In Scenario 2, we see that this service, when used out of the game, is not unlike placing a personal ad on the boards and offering a reward for finding it. Finder's fees in the EC Tunnels, while not common practice, have been done before, and most people would agree that there's nothing wrong with that (wait for jury to nod agreement). So paying for information about auctions out of game is already accepted.

Ladies and gentlemen, in conclusion, I must say that there is no "real world" advantage to this product. Yes, you can see things being sold in game while you're not in the game. Yes, that costs a modest in-game fee. But it offers no real world boon to my client. He earns in-game rewards, for information about in-game auctions, from people who must then go in-game to use the information for in-game transactions.

I'm a shoe-in for the Young Lawyer's Bar Association. ... Wait, that's actually a thing (http://www.americanbar.org/groups/young_lawyers.html)?

But neither of those scenarios involve paying plat to access a website. Despite what information is obtained from that website you are still paying plat to access a third party tool. Now I don't think that the OP has a nefarious intent with what he is doing here, but I really don't think this type of thing should be acceptable.

Let's say that I launched a "premium" quest/mob database, and charged in game plat as a monthly subscription fee. Now to set myself apart with this site, I have some "friends" sitting in important places, gathering info about kills, drops etc etc, and post this info on my site.

I don't know how far into detail I would have to go to make my point here, but I think anyone can see that this type of "pay plat for game related service" thing would only have negative implications for this server.

Bidoof
03-28-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm at work, so sorry if I don't try as hard as I usually do to be funny. I've said it at least twice now, but I'll give it a paragraph all its own in case you missed it.

He's not charging for access to the site. You can go to his site freely. He's got some pretty screenshots and stuff. He's charging for the logs, something readily available if you were sitting in EC all day too.

But yeah, I think we've both laid out our cases. At this point, we'd be going in circles if we continued on the same point. And I think I've earned enough billable hours. We'pl have to wait for the right honorable Sirken to render his verdict.

Gadwen
03-28-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm at work, so sorry if I don't try as hard as I usually do to be funny. I've said it at least twice now, but I'll give it a paragraph all its own in case you missed it.

He's not charging for access to the site. You can go to his site freely. He's got some pretty screenshots and stuff. He's charging for the logs, something readily available if you were sitting in EC all day too.

But yeah, I think we've both laid out our cases. At this point, we'd be going in circles if we continued on the same point. And I think I've earned enough billable hours. We'pl have to wait for the right honorable Sirken to render his verdict.

Your client was read his rights and already made the following incriminating statement.

it's ready to open and accept few more people if some of you are interested and may want to pay plats for the service, it's subscription based.

Please PM me your in-game name for the URL

He is clearly charging plat to access the website.

But honestly, I don't have anything against the guy and you have been giving me some laughs with your defense. My main issue with it is, as cliche as it sounds, it's a slippery slope that I think will only have a negative impact on the server. But you are right, its up to the GMs from here.

Bidoof
03-28-2013, 12:32 PM
I would like to point out his "service" is referring to sharing logs. Not access to his site. Not that incriminating.
Sorry, I'll let deliberations continue.

Bidoof
03-28-2013, 12:50 PM
If you look carefully, my client's website is a subdomain of a cloud service. My client is using his pre-existing cloud space for a fun diversion. If he didn't host his log service on a provider he already pays in full (ie: no cost for this), he could just as easily move it to a free service. Is Angelfire still around?

More broadly, owning a domain costs real life money, obviously. Let's say Player 1 owns a site dedicated to p1999, say 'p1999awesomesauce.com'. Do you call RMT the first time someone uses this site to offer an in-game service for in-game compensation, just because at some point 'some' real life money had to have changed hands for the site to run?

Interesting arguments. I like them, keep it coming. Now I wish I actually was getting billable hours.

Gadwen
03-28-2013, 12:58 PM
More broadly, owning a domain costs real life money, obviously. Let's say Player 1 owns a site dedicated to p1999, say 'p1999awesomesauce.com'. Do you call RMT the first time someone uses this site to offer an in-game service for in-game compensation, just because at some point 'some' real life money had to have changed hands for the site to run?

Does p1999awesomesauce.com charge a monthly/weekly/daily plat fee to access it?

Bidoof
03-28-2013, 01:05 PM
No, but neither does my client's site (an argument I can now say that I've told you 3 times now;) ).

Gadwen
03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
No, but neither does my client's site (an argument I can now say that I've told you 3 times now;) ).

The problem is that it's an invalid argument. You are giving him plat to access his website, he isn't just sending you tells or running in game errands for you. The issue is not with the information, it is the method which you are obtaining that information, which on his private subscription based website.

Your only paying for his logs sounds a lot like the old "your only paying for my old sweater but im throwing in this EQ account as a free gift" line.

Bidoof
03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Your only paying for his logs sounds a lot like the old "your only paying for my old sweater but im throwing in this EQ account as a free gift" line.

You've obviously never bought an OEM version of a Windows operating system. This is a totally valid semantic argument. Go on newegg.com, look up "Windows OEM". I'll wait.

Ok, you'll see they charge significantly less money for the same operating system. How? They bundle it with hardware. Its a piece of shit hardware, sure (I got a sound cable for old CD-ROM drives with Windows 7), but it fits the requirement. Not saying your example is all that great (its hard to come up with an analogy that fits everything), but your example is something that's already done every day. Maybe not with EQ or p1999 (I keep hearing about something with an old GM and muffins, but I wasn't around for that), but its a valid argument.

Shit counter-argument. You're basically saying that he's paying for the cloud service without the primary intent of hosting his log service therefore the real-life money paid for the subscription in no way is going towards providing the means to generate platinum revenue on p1999. Even if your client moved his log service to free hosting, he's still performing IRL work incentivized by in-game profit, which is, in essence, RMT. Regardless, as you pointed out a domain name costs real money and therefore it would seem an object with real world valued is being used to generate in-game platinum.

Ok, at least I wasn't the first one to use "shit" for no reason in what's been a pretty civil discussion. The first part of your argument needs to be fleshed out (why am I giving pointers?). If I pay for a faster internet connection at home so I can download movies faster, and it just so happens that later I realize I can use it to log in slightly faster and nab that mob spawn so I can sell the drop, that's real life money paid to generate platinum revenue on p1999. See, I can come up with imperfect analogies. Anyway, I'll wait for you to flesh this one out before going further on it.

The second part of your argument (where *if* it was hosted on a free service) is where you're strongest, if you all continue to ignore the whole "work was free" reply I keep making. But first off, I'd say RMT is the opposite of what you say. Its performing in-game work incentivized by IRL profit. I could argue that my IRL job (which luckily doesn't look to see my internet history) leads to in-game profit- how would I have a computer to play p1999 without money? But broader than that, 'IRL work' is ambiguous. No one in authority (though I'm sure you'll tell me what you, opposing counsel, think) has said what this is.

But to bracket this with the same thing for clarity, my client still asserts his work on the programming and the hosting is free to the consumer. The fee is merely for the in-game presence of his or a friend's character. There are many real life scenarios where this sort of arrangement happens. If you want longer posts, I'll be more than happy to give one, just let me know.

Also, please let me know if I'm missing any arguments you guys are making (or remaking). I'm trying not to gloss over them.

Gadwen
03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
You've obviously never bought an OEM version of a Windows operating system. This is a totally valid semantic argument. Go on newegg.com, look up "Windows OEM". I'll wait.

As a matter of fact I have bought OEM versions of Windows. None of them came with a piece of hardware...If you can actually find one on newegg that does, go ahead and link it. The disclaimer hasn't changed in years from what I can tell.

This issue really isn't that complicated, the bottom line is that you must give this guy plat in order to access this website, is that not true?

Droog007
03-28-2013, 03:29 PM
I had to pay real money for a new SSD so I could kite with my bard... am I transmuting RL money into in-game plat?? AM I RMT'ing??? /faint

(court goes to recess while the gallery member regains his composure)

Caridry
03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Also could just have a account logged in all the time at his place of business. I mean at my job i could easily set a toon up to run 24/7 doing this is someone tells me how to do it :P

or the guy pays for static IP addresses...

Gadwen
03-28-2013, 03:59 PM
My attention to detail needs some work I suppose. The URL is clearly visible in the screenshot. http://eekwong.eqlog.jit.su/

Swish
03-28-2013, 04:12 PM
How is paying for a Live EC feed any different for paying for another in game service such as a 96% rez or a MQ?

Suddenly RMT services turned legit?

Something to think about.

Thulack
03-28-2013, 04:22 PM
My attention to detail needs some work I suppose. The URL is clearly visible in the screenshot. http://eekwong.eqlog.jit.su/

You have to login and only get info if you pay. Going to the site does nothing but show you what you would be paying for.

Gadwen
03-28-2013, 04:27 PM
You have to login and only get info if you pay. Going to the site does nothing but show you what you would be paying for.

Exactly, I was just posting it because of the discussion going on in here. It is very clear that you need to send him a tell, and pay him plat to get login info.

Bidoof
03-28-2013, 05:55 PM
As a matter of fact I have bought OEM versions of Windows. None of them came with a piece of hardware...If you can actually find one on newegg that does, go ahead and link it. The disclaimer hasn't changed in years from what I can tell.

I've bought OEM software since WinME (ugh, I had to go and remember that). Every single one has come with a piece of small computer hardware. Never did they list in the description that hardware came with it. But every time it was there, in the box. Maybe they do it for giggles... oh, wait (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/01/8730/)...

Companies keep compliant with Microsoft's rules by bundling OEM versions with a token piece of hardware, like a cable.

Last time I'll make this last point, then I'll just let people repeat their counter-argument to infinity and beyond. The platinum being paid to access the in-game resource (logs) isn't for the software or hardware running the site, its for the logs. You can argue about that being a loophole, or it being lame... but its valid.

Gadwen
03-28-2013, 06:15 PM
I've bought OEM software since WinME (ugh, I had to go and remember that). Every single one has come with a piece of small computer hardware. Never did they list in the description that hardware came with it. But every time it was there, in the box. Maybe they do it for giggles... oh, wait (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/01/8730/)...

Last time I'll make this last point, then I'll just let people repeat their counter-argument to infinity and beyond. The platinum being paid to access the in-game resource (logs) isn't for the software or hardware running the site, its for the logs. You can argue about that being a loophole, or it being lame... but its valid.

Maybe the OEM versions have come with a cable or something I completely forgot about, but you are comparing real world commerce with laws and regulations that include loopholes that can be exploited.

We are talking about Project 1999, this kind of argument does not hold up. If it did, RMT bans would never happen because the trades could always be defended by declaring that you aren't buying what you are actually buying.

Once again, I need to give this guy plat to get access to this website. That is ultimately the only exchange that happens between players in game.

Byrjun
03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
You can only trade plat for items, accounts, or services on the blue or red server. This is a service outside of those servers. I hate to be that guy, but idk dudes.

Thulack
03-28-2013, 06:36 PM
You can only trade plat for items, accounts, or services on the blue or red server. This is a service outside of those servers. I hate to be that guy, but idk dudes.

It looks like a service ON the server to me. Your paying for the service of having a toon in EC tunnel feeding you logs. You just have to access the logs through a 3rd party. But your still paying Ingame for Ingame service/information.

Bidoof
03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
We are talking about Project 1999, this kind of argument does not hold up. If it did, RMT bans would never happen because the trades could always be defended by declaring that you aren't buying what you are actually buying.

Are RMT bans a product of investigative work? Maybe someone with some first hand knowledge can answer, but I thought they were mostly products of someone involved spilling the beans. I suppose large plat transfers are suspect, but how do you differentiate a loan or a gift from an RMT with just logs? What about giving login info to someone else? I'm not saying that RMT is legit, or that we shouldn't try to stop it. Far from it. I'm just saying they are probably already 'he said/she said' battles (again, someone else can confirm/deny this- expert witness!). I just don't think this would lube up any of the slippery slopes you envision.

Even beyond that, if we can't use a valid legal system (especially that of the country which the game is hosted from) as a blueprint for arbitration, what can we use? If it was my system, I'd say the Cardassian legal system, but I'm not Rogean/Nilbog.

The rest of the post that I didn't quote, please see the thing I posted a few times that I promised I wouldn't post again.

Byrjun
03-28-2013, 07:14 PM
It looks like a service ON the server to me. Your paying for the service of having a toon in EC tunnel feeding you logs. You just have to access the logs through a 3rd party. But your still paying Ingame for Ingame service/information.

By "services" on the server I mean something like a power level or an escrow. A log file is something that exists as computer data outside of the server (your hard drive). It would be illegal for me to give you platinum to exchange for a movie or a music album, which can also exist as a computer data. There's really no difference between these things.

But it doesn't end there, you're not paying platinum for the log file alone. You're paying platinum for an account on a website that exists outside the Project 1999 server, where the log file is then parsed by code on said web server to display certain channels for your convenience.

Considering people have gotten in trouble for offering platinum for graphic/web design services, I'm again going to have to say no to this one.

I'm not doing this to be contrarian, like I said before I'd pay for this if I felt it was within the server rules. However I'm continuing to post here as a warning for anyone who would consider paying for this service. If a GM comes in and says this is okay and legal, then yeah I'll probably pay this guy platinum for the service. But as it stands now, it doesn't seem kosher to me and I'm not going to risk my ability to log in to the server on something that seems quite against the server rules to my eyes. Which sucks, cause I used it frequently before when it was a free service.

If the guy wants to some sort of compensation for his work, I don't understand why he doesn't just put ads up the site and call it a day. Considering how many people who would use this (uh, everyone?) I'm sure he could make some cash from it.

stonez138
03-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Isn't using a 3rd party program in and of itself a violation? It seems to me like someone created a program to give themselves an advantage in game. How can this not be considered a 3rd party program?

Thulack
03-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Isn't using a 3rd party program in and of itself a violation? It seems to me like someone created a program to give themselves an advantage in game. How can this not be considered a 3rd party program?

Because its not doing anything in the game. Its not modifying anything either. He is personally taking his logs which are generated by the game for everyone's use and uploading them in realtime to a website.

Byrjun
03-28-2013, 10:03 PM

"3rd party program" is usually in reference to software that gives you the ability to do things in the game that you wouldn't normally be able to do. If we were to use as broad of a definition as you are using, then that would make web browsers illegal too since you can use them to look up maps and item information.

Anything that just parses logs is fine, because that's purely just sorting information that you're already getting from the game already.

Galvatar
03-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Ok here's my main problem with this:

Say this fellow gets 50 people onboard for a month which is in my opinion not an unreasonable assessment.

40p per day for let's say 30 days in said month for 50 people works out to 60k. So this dude has now made 60k for doing absolutely nothing / boxing an EC alt.

Emphase
03-29-2013, 12:15 AM
if he has to be logged in to do this, hes giving up his playing time in exchange. unless hes exploiting ip exempt.

Thulack
03-29-2013, 12:18 AM
if he has to be logged in to do this, hes giving up his playing time in exchange. unless hes exploiting ip exempt.

unless he has a toon logged in at another location. Its not against the rules to have a toon logged in doing nothing.

Emphase
03-29-2013, 12:25 AM
oh really? he can 2box as long as 1 character is in a different zone idle?

So yea galv I guess you are right

Thulack
03-29-2013, 01:07 AM
oh really? he can 2box as long as 1 character is in a different zone idle?

So yea galv I guess you are right

When i say different location i mean a different physical real life address. As i have stated in my previous example. If he has a toon setup at his work and he plays from home. I don't see how that would be considered 2 boxing aslong as he is not remotely playing the 2nd character at the other location.

porigromus
03-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Real nice, selfishly charging plat for software written by you for a generously free project where the game, launcher you enjoy for no cost. Aren't you glad the guides aren't like you and require you to give them some plat? Maybe you should have to give some plat if you want to enjoy that nice launcher? Charge this guy some plat when he logs on.

That's what this project would be with your "help". They should ban this guy.

Kieu
03-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Subscription based, when there is a free one... Nice job. Good way to try and cash in, loser. How about you throw the eqemu people your plat too, since they've done this all for free for you. What a fuckin jerkoff.

Gadwen
03-29-2013, 11:47 AM
All these "technically" statements like a cute little young lawyer won't change the fact that what you're describing is using 2 characters for personal gain aka 2-boxing. If we're in the realm of "technically" then "technically" the idle character is generating platinum by uploading his log. How is that different from farming seafuries on one character and raiding on another?

This is an interesting point. The rule states that there must be one real person per logged in account. Now if my friend lets me run EQ on his PC all day so that I can have a bot sitting in EC while I play my main, that means I have access to and the advantage of two accounts at once correct? Unless of course my friend is actually active in game, and he is donating his time to help me make more plat.

Now im sure this will be equated to having someone sell an item for you in EC or something along those lines, the only issue is that that can't happen unless that other person is actually at the comp and playing.

Not sure if it really could be a 2box ban, but its an interesting point nonethless.

The fact still remains that the only in game transaction going on for this service is plat being exchanged for a login to private website.

Could we please get a GM to settle this? If its allowable I would love to setup a "CC any zone in the game and check any spawn in the game live feed website"

Bidoof
03-29-2013, 11:58 AM
like a cute little young lawyer

Why thank you.

won't change the fact that what you're describing is using 2 characters for personal gain aka 2-boxing. If we're in the realm of "technically" then "technically" the idle character is generating platinum by uploading his log. How is that different from farming seafuries on one character and raiding on another?

Wifeaggro, the guy who made this, has already said that he has a friend or two who keep their characters logged in for this.

I have a friend who has a character and afk in EC

EDIT: for real, I have few more friends being the client side just in case one of the clients disconnected or crashed

Someone who has been on the server longer than I can fix this analogy for me, if its inaccurate. I remember reading forum posts about mages farming kills while afk by keeping a pet on spawn points, before some nerf changed that. This would be like that.

The fact still remains that the only in game transaction going on for this service is plat being exchanged for a login to private website.

This is now a fact? I once again refer to the statement I've already made about this that I promised to stop bringing up but apparently can't.

Could we please get a GM to settle this? If its allowable I would love to setup a "CC any zone in the game and check any spawn in the game live feed website"

That would be an awesome website for some people. I personally wouldn't use it (just like I wouldn't use my client's), but still a good idea. I'd be interested to hear how you'd do it within the established rules of the server.

Byrjun
03-29-2013, 12:01 PM

How are you going to get a character in every zone in the game to obtain the logs for that?

Gadwen
03-29-2013, 12:09 PM
This is now a fact? I once again refer to the statement I've already made about this that I promised to stop bringing up but apparently can't.

No its definitely not a fact, because he is sending all this info in tells right? Your not getting access to a website or anything else right? This entire service takes place in game right? I must have completely misunderstood whats going on here! Give me a break dude.

The excuses you have listed for this being a legit service just don't stand up here, and even if they did my statement would still be a fact. You can continue to imagine that this service he is running does not function the way it clearly does, I'll wait for a GM to weight in.

Bidoof
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Give me a break

http://dancingczars.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/give-me-a-break-stossel.jpg

That's all I had to add, since the rest is just more of the same, with a dash of sarcasm for flavor. We'll just have to agree that we both read the rules differently. This debate really ended a couple of pages ago, but it was still fun.

Also, now I want pizza for lunch, for some reason.

Macarena
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
so this guy is asking for plat offers to use his program he wrote? RMT

Macarena
03-29-2013, 12:24 PM
this motherfucker deserves to get banned, you are not allowed to offer services outside of the game for platinum, get the fuck out of here

Bidoof
03-29-2013, 12:29 PM
this motherfucker deserves to get banned, you are not allowed to offer services outside of the game for platinum, get the fuck out of here

Calm down skippy, we're less likely to get a GM response if you go all Tourette's on us.

Sularus Oth Mithas
03-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Holy crap I thought I would be coming back to play EQ with the same people from classic but more grown up. A lot of uptight individuals up in this place.

Ambrotos
03-29-2013, 12:37 PM
This would be considered a violation of our policy. It will be providing a service for in game items. Doing so will get you banned.