PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of making a wizard

fishingme
03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
So, I'm thinking about making a wizard within the next couple of weeks and I was wondering what all I should know about them before I make one.

Atennu
03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Have a fun game running in the background

Stoggieman
03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Don't overlook Stam/strength in creating them. Int is easier to come by than you think. And you'll be quickly gimped on carrying stuff/encumbered if you don't have an eye to str. be patient. and group as frequently as you can early on. Unless you don't mind AFKing after every fight for 7-10 min while medding up. However, there are some VERY powerful Duo's you can manage if you play it right. Feel free to PM me on it if you'd like more.

diplo
03-14-2013, 11:20 AM
i would put +15 in STA and +5 in STR.

i'd say save up and buy jboots as your first item for when you quad kite.

do the staff of the wheel quest when you can (its pretty ez)

if you can at a early level, get some help to get the staff of temp flux

Snackies
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
i would put +15 in STA and +5 in STR.

i'd say save up and buy jboots as your first item for when you quad kite.

do the staff of the wheel quest when you can (its pretty ez)

if you can at a early level, get some help to get the staff of temp flux

STA will give you a really crappy amount of health and I view that as a waste of stat usage.

INT is the way to go and remaining points in STR.

Yeah you max int earlier, but then you're ready to start building +mana gear from there.

JBoots are a must as well as flux staff before you consider quadding. In the early levels of my end-game wizard I nuked guys down one by one and medding until I was ready.

Yes - be ready for being AFK - solo is the way to go but it helps if you have other things to do in between killing things.

Low level wizards, not going to lie, are a pain in the ass. However, once you are able to start porting your outlook will completely change.

I wouldn't want any other toon as a raiding main - wizards get your raid where they need to go and fast (oh yeah and leet deeps)!

Edit: If you have any further questions feel free to PM me.

Nagash
03-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Boost your int as much as you can, the earlier you hit the cap, the more +mana items you can carry. I'd go 15 INT 5 STR

Splorf22
03-14-2013, 06:18 PM
In kunark I think int is the way to go; if you hit the cap on int you can start swapping for +mana items. In velious the stats on some of those items are so insane that you can probably hit 255 int without trying.

Basically Snackies is dead on: expect to grind it out solo till the 30s; hopefully at that point you can get jboots and the flux staff, at which point you'll be grinding it out solo till 55-56 or so, just faster. The last 5 levels will be quick at Chardok though. And if you get that far Wizards are a great raid class.

Kevynne
03-15-2013, 02:01 AM
Boost your int as much as you can, the earlier you hit the cap, the more +mana items you can carry. I'd go 15 INT 5 STR

They get 30 not 20

Estu
03-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Good advice in this thread. Let me just say, though, make sure you know what you're getting into. The wizard is one of the poorest classes in the game. They're slow soloers (very slow before quadding and still slower than a bunch of classes once you are quadding) and are one of the least useful classes in groups (unless you do AE groups). They're also very monotonous to play. Their strengths are versus raid bosses (though this is more true in Kunark than in Velious) and in AE groups - that's about it.

Xiki101
03-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Here is the thing about Wizards.

Since I been playing you will find the Wizard community is super helfull in helping other wizards out in whatever they need so that a plus 1.

You will find soloing kinda hard and boring until you hit 29. some quick tips for soloing before 29. Bind in EC get a clarity or c2 and then run to a destination in the local zones and solo. When clarity runs out gate back ec med in tunnel and while your waiting start looking for an enc and always tip them! When you get to port always give Ench a free ride!

I find in groups people love me but its probably because my wizard is a twink so I have allot more mana than most casters. I believe a non afk Wizard can put up some nice damage as a dps. Great thing about EQ is you can have 6 people to a group so I dont think people really look past Wizards to join. I really feel thats a bunch of bs

Hot spots for group- EC/Faydark orc hill/Crushbone/Oasis/Upper Guk/unrest/Mistmoore/Highkeep at peak hours. Those are solid places to look until you hit 29 and then you can start to do your own thing soloing.

Wizards have a bad rep for groups so I would suggest to make as much friends as possible and they will always do right by you and try to get you in. I have had no problems finding groups and when I put my LFG up I get about 2-3 tells an hour which I guess is not bad for a Wizard. If you are a player who has an ego and likes to be well known, I would suggest playing a cleric/Ench/Tank class since you will get a group almost right away. I hope this helps and feel free to send me a tell in game if you need anything :)

Xiki

Ps

Make sure you do research When you can or you will be screwed like me lol

Tecmos Deception
03-15-2013, 10:09 AM
I believe a non afk Wizard can put up some nice damage as a dps

Nope! Wizards are great, but nope!

OP - are you twinking a wiz? You can quad as early as 8 if you have jboots and a couple hundred (or more) +mana gear. Pulls for quads are quite a bit less annoying if you have a staff of temperate flux to aggro stuff with. Personally I got PL on my wiz from a necro in TD up to about 20 I think, then quadded crag spiders in EK, then quadded mammoths in everfrost, got another 10 levels of PL from 30-40 from a bard in OT, then quadded bloodgills until 51. Like 3/4 of the goblins are light blue at 51, but some people still think they are the best quadding until 52 because they have so few hp. Personally I'm in TD, maybe only half of the spirocs are light blue and you can try to just snag provens/watchers pretty easily. Could also probably quad in DL and find a pretty steady source of c/c2 right inside KC. I think I will be doing raptors or something in BW from 52-55/56, then doing chardok AE exclusively from there.

Wizards are not good DPS for groups. They can work in groups, but there basically is always a better option. Ports are great convenience though, quadding is a boring but pretty quick way to solo, AE xp groups make 55-60 faster for you than anyone else (except the other people in your ae group!), and you are awesome for porting to sky/hate and blowing up raid mobs.

Even in Velious you will rock, because the bane spells are so awesome even in the face of hundreds of thousands of HP on bosses.

Xiki101
03-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Nope! Wizards are great, but nope!

I guess what i meant was that if your not ninja afking your dps is enough for grouping

Raavak
03-15-2013, 10:30 AM
I agree with the above. If you are twinking and getting help get jboots and the temp flux staff as soon as you can, then start quading. Staff of Wheel is a great primary slot that you can get at lvl 1 if you have help, too. Have something to occupy your time while you med because its like 15 minutes of medding for 5 minutes of glory.

fishingme
03-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, its much appreciated! Yes, I'm looking to have some fun with the wizard. I will be twinking, looking to farm another 15-20k over the next week or two. I was curious, how often do wizards get hit, curious if it would be at all beneficial to get some pure hp items?

Tecmos Deception
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
I guess what i meant was that if your not ninja afking your dps is enough for grouping

A level 60 wizard does less sustained DPS than a tank, and the only other things they really can contribute to a group are stuns and roots... both of which are usually sufficiently covered by other members of the group.

Like I said, having a wizard in a group doesn't exactly cripple the group, but it is very rare that a wizard is the best option for a normal xp group.

Thanks for the reply guys, its much appreciated! Yes, I'm looking to have some fun with the wizard. I will be twinking, looking to farm another 15-20k over the next week or two. I was curious, how often do wizards get hit, curious if it would be at all beneficial to get some pure hp items?

If you play it safe (i.e. you don't try to cast a spell on the quad that's chasing you unless you know they're at max casting range, verified by clicking your staff until they are out of range), you should basically never get hit.

More realistically you'll probably try to squeeze in an AE or a snare or a root on a mob that is pretty close to you to begin with, and you'll get hit once in a while. I have black sapphire earrings and neck on my wiz, basically his only hp gear, and usually a quad catching me will cost me 30-60% of my hp before I can get away. I've probably only died two or three times in the 20-30 and 40-51 I've quadded with my wizard, and I don't even bother casting shielding or runes ever.

ymw
03-15-2013, 10:52 AM
I've found that, in general, if I get hit while quadding, it's either no big deal and I escape handily or I take a stun and I'm just dead. When I get the latter, I'm pretty sure the amount of hp items I would need to have lived would cripple my quadding ability in mana loss. Wish I had put my extra 5 in str, not sta.

To echo a lot of the above - have other stuff to do when you're soloing. Now that I'm on to Spirocs in the late 40s, my downtime is in excess of 10 minutes between pulls. I spend a lot of time folding laundry, doing dishes, playing with the kids, and that sort of stuff between pulls.

Vondra
05-15-2013, 09:09 PM
I think wizards are kinda fun to level, just cuz I love alt tabbing in EQ.

I don't know why, but alt tabbing in EQ is so much more satisifying than alt tabbing away from something else.

I took a druid from 44-49 in rathe on HGs, just doing ensnare, nuke til dead, run back to safe spot, go read stuff...click back repeat, heh.

It's like getting exp for reading webpages.

amateur
05-16-2013, 02:06 AM
best advice I can give is to buy a powerlevel to 34. then spend 2 or 3 hours maxing evoc and alter. that first half of the game has to be the dullest and most frustrating eq experience ive ever had. resists in the early game are 10x worse than you will have 40+. be prepared to afk med for 10 minutes than to get a mob that resists root 5 times in a row. jboots are almost a requirement

TarukShmaruk
06-03-2013, 06:20 PM
A level 60 wizard does less sustained DPS than a tank, and the only other things they really can contribute to a group are stuns and roots... both of which are usually sufficiently covered by other members of the group.

Like I said, having a wizard in a group doesn't exactly cripple the group, but it is very rare that a wizard is the best option for a normal xp group.

If you play it safe (i.e. you don't try to cast a spell on the quad that's chasing you unless you know they're at max casting range, verified by clicking your staff until they are out of range), you should basically never get hit.

More realistically you'll probably try to squeeze in an AE or a snare or a root on a mob that is pretty close to you to begin with, and you'll get hit once in a while. I have black sapphire earrings and neck on my wiz, basically his only hp gear, and usually a quad catching me will cost me 30-60% of my hp before I can get away. I've probably only died two or three times in the 20-30 and 40-51 I've quadded with my wizard, and I don't even bother casting shielding or runes ever.

I was a longtime Wizard player from luclin -> Omens and I'm not sure if this ever got better.

Even with Iceflame of E'ci and Ancient: Destruction of Ice and Icy Spear of Solist I don't think I could put out reasonable DPS in a group.

And then with the high resists of boss mobs and needing to use lures lots of times (or getting gibbed if I tried to use the big damage nukes...) I'm not sure if I was any good even then.

Did they ever improve this?

I loved my wizzy but watching Mages nuke for 80% of what I could and have an uber pet always made me jealous.

Asap
06-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I loved my wizzy but watching Mages nuke for 80% of what I could and have an uber pet always made me jealous.

And the mages were envious of you being able to root :p

Slytherin
06-03-2013, 07:54 PM

Or just clicking their earring of living slime

Tuljin
06-15-2013, 02:57 PM
You should put the majority of your bonus points into sta and split the rest between str and int

Stat points above the 200 soft cap in int or wis are pretty much wasted - you get about 4 points of mana per into point over the soft cap - so from 200 to 255 int youre only gettting about 220 mana points - which isnt even one lure of ice.

HP/Resist gearing is very important for ALL classes, and it is even more important for wizards. Mana takes care of itself - you will hit the softcap very quickly and once you hit 200int you should right away start getting into +mana gear. It amazes me how many wizards hard cap out on int (and seem to be the only class that does in such high numbers)

When you get to raiding, you will rarely dump your whole mana bar into DPS. Most mobs are dead before you can drain your whole bar. If you are grouping, you will rarely be full mana, at which point the extra mana pool is useless.

And in comes the 'well what if im quadding i need the mana pool' - - i only put 3 bonus points into int and I quadded just fine.

This int/sta argument will never end, but a good EQ rule of thumb is - - int/wis points over softcap are not good and better spent on other stats.

George_Smith
06-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Just some thoughts on wiz

-Not sure why everyone wants to put points into str, once you get your first gates being encumbered will no longer be an issue. I'd just go sta and int. In fact, I'm not really convince that any class should put points into str... Maybe monk, don't really know anything about monks.

-If you're planning on quadding/AE grouping, and not much dungeon crawling with groups, mana pool is key, so go int. If you wont be quadding/AE grouping, will only be dungeon crawling/raiding, then mana regen, resists, hp/ac are more important then mana pool and you might want to go mostly sta to start with. Either way your robe will say "Fragile, handle with care". If you can twink wiz to start with, prob best to go sta, since int is fairly easy to get high.

-Soloing btw lvls 20-34 is absolute hell for a wizard, and no you cannot really quad with twink gear btw 20-29, you get snare at 29 so that helps a lot. So make friends, and be really nice to bards. A wizard with lvl appropriate gear (so not twinked) can quad with the lvl 34 AE spell. The lvl 34 AE is the most mana efficient until lvl 51, so get it and use it.

-People have already mentioned staff of temporal flux and jboots, but I want to reiterate that these are essential quadding gear. Unlike a druid, wiz snare is an AE, so 4 mobs at once and cost too much mana to keep casting. Wizards pull with staff clicky and stack mobs at their full run speed (sow or jboots needed to outrun them). The staff is also good to give a blind range on mobs, meaning you can click staff until you get a mob out of range message, then you know you have enough distance to snare without getting hit. Wizards are kind of the Corvette of quadding, from initial pull to end takes around a min and a half at lvl 60... Staff of temporal flux can also be used to hold agro by clicking it repeatedly on mob, I'll leave the uses for this to your imaginations.

-Wizard is amazing dps (On any one shoot fight, while mana holds, and dependent on not getting agro). In a group a wizards dps is dependent on mana regeneration rate per mob (C2/bard songs help a lot obviously). So if the group is pulling really slowly, then yes the wizard can be decent dps, but if the group is pulling fast the wizards dps drops fast too.

-The best tip I can give for grouping is to always keep a decent mana supply for emergency dps (Gandalf this mob) and evac (so figure out how much you need to keep to be able to evac even with a fizzle or two). In a group with regular pulls I wouldn't nuke until mana was at least 70%. This also gives consistent, often low, dps; which makes having a wizard in group bearable for everyone else.

-In terms of research tips, I just used the points at GM to get skill to trivial. It cost a bit, but usually I was able to afford getting my skill trivial for the level I wanted (I was relatively poor since wiz was first toon). I did it as needed, so can't remember the actually cost, but my best guess is skilling research to 200 skill is about 6k. Why waste runes or spend time farming for practice ruins?

-If you need to be doing something at all times and cannot stand waiting, being a wizard is not for you. Even in a group a wizards life is waiting till you're needed for; emergency CC, emergency dps, evacs, stunning caster mobs, or till you have X% mana to nuke.

Azzudniz

Estu
06-16-2013, 08:56 AM
temporal flux

It's temperate flux, as in it makes the monster more vulnerable to temperature (fire and cold resists go down). It has nothing to do with time!

Pretty good post other than that, though I'm still skeptical about putting starting points into STA (since the HP return is so tiny for casters) and I'm pretty sure I quadded Everfrost mammoths successfully once I got AE snare at 29 without considerable twinkage. (I think I might have quadded even before AE snare when a kind druid tossed me a SoW.) If you don't have JBoots at that level you can still beg SoWs off of people and/or buy a SoW potion or two if you manage your money well.

Lojik
06-16-2013, 12:01 PM
It's temperate flux, as in it makes the monster more vulnerable to temperature (fire and cold resists go down). It has nothing to do with time!

Pretty good post other than that, though I'm still skeptical about putting starting points into STA (since the HP return is so tiny for casters) and I'm pretty sure I quadded Everfrost mammoths successfully once I got AE snare at 29 without considerable twinkage. (I think I might have quadded even before AE snare when a kind druid tossed me a SoW.) If you don't have JBoots at that level you can still beg SoWs off of people and/or buy a SoW potion or two if you manage your money well.

Agree with this. For 99% of the p99 population i think putting most points into INT will yield the best returns, unless you know for a fact that you're wiz is going to have BiS equipment when they hit 60. But even if that's true, you still have to go through levels 1-59 before you get there. Is it worth it to gimp your INT for those levels to have 30 extra hitpoints (if that) by level 60?

I also quadded mammoths quite easily, but they turn light blue at 32, and this seems to be a weird level in terms of finding the right mobs to kite. Stuff in OT is still a bit too high. Where is a good place to quad at 32 & 33, preferably stuff around level 25? (SK spires not enough mobs.)

George_Smith
06-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Now that you mention it I quadded mammoths at about lvl 29 as well, with sow pots. iirc it was usually pretty rough, but I was learning how to do it then, so that no doubt increased the difficulty. I continued to quad them when they were lb, but more for the pp then xp. At the time it hadn't occurred to me to make another toon to farm for plat.

I didn't regret putting the points into int until my wiz was lvl 60. True it's not a lot of hp at that lvl, it's about 60 hp, but with enlightenment my wiz would still be about 255 int if I'd had put the points into sta instead. It's pretty rare that 60 hp would makes a diff, but it happens... That said, a wizard without mana is in trouble, and maybe I'd be really regretting not putting the points into int if I hadn't (The grass is always greener).

As for were to quad at 32-34, sk spires would have been my best guess, although I did not have enough mana at that lvl to quad them (my gear was really bad).

AzzudnXX

Estu
06-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Agree with this. For 99% of the p99 population i think putting most points into INT will yield the best returns, unless you know for a fact that you're wiz is going to have BiS equipment when they hit 60. But even if that's true, you still have to go through levels 1-59 before you get there. Is it worth it to gimp your INT for those levels to have 30 extra hitpoints (if that) by level 60?

I also quadded mammoths quite easily, but they turn light blue at 32, and this seems to be a weird level in terms of finding the right mobs to kite. Stuff in OT is still a bit too high. Where is a good place to quad at 32 & 33, preferably stuff around level 25? (SK spires not enough mobs.)

Firiona Vie all the way. Exit the town and take a right along the cliff - tons of wandering mobs and a large area to safely quad in. Way better than OT in every respect IMO.

Tuljin
06-18-2013, 11:10 AM
stat distribution is also heavily dependent upon race - - imho erudite has the best stats for wiz because of the high base int and high base sta - you can take the 5pt agi penalty because you will get lots of gear that adds agi and easily put you over 75. if you roll an eru you can afford to put few points into int and lots of points into sta, at which point you will have sta and int stats that you wont possibly be able to roll with any other race.

now the hide argument - hide is an awesome skill and dark elf is great race for wiz, however hide will eventually be nerfed, so keep that in mind when rolling. the de stats are very good as well, but sta and int arent quite as high as eru and you get the 90points of agi, which isnt really of much help.

Tecmos Deception
09-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Or just clicking their earring of living slime

CT will never be revamped on p99.

http://wiki.project1999.com/index.php/Timeline

Tecmos Deception
09-10-2013, 02:41 PM
By alot of the comments on this post i can tell alot of you know close to nothing about a wizard, a wizard isnt suppose to be sustained DPS they are a burst class, like comparing apples to oranges. I can tell alot of u r just sheep repeating what others say cause they been in bad groups with a wizard. But remember if u can, comparing a burst class with a sustained dps class is stupid, they r 2 totally different kinds of dps.

Well, in a perfect world, you'd be 100% right.

1615 damage for a sunstrike every ~9.5 seconds is 170+ DPS. That's a ton, right? Close to double what a rogue will do sustained in a level 60 group grinding level 50+ mobs. Except that landing a sunstrike is going to be a ton of aggro and it can be resisted, especially if you're fighting something that is so buff that you're freaking out about needing to burn it down asap. At lower levels the problems are the same: wizards can do burst damage theoretically but they probably will just be getting aggro and having to stun/kite/channel/manage aggro, all of which will decrease damage by a lot.

I'd be surprised to witness a 60 wizard do over 100 DPS "burst" (meaning DPS over the course of a single NPC's life) in a group situation without it being more trouble than it's worth (sure you did 140 DPS on Emperor Chottal, but doing so got you dotted twice and beat to hell which OOMed the cleric and annoyed all the rest of the group cause the mob was summoning and changing facing so the rogues weren't able to backstab, etc). Meanwhile the rogue/monk/charmers are doing 70-100 DPS sustained, perhaps 150 burst if you're looking at a charmer who is also casting for damage or a monk/rogue with disc.

I would love to be proven wrong though!

Estu
09-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Sure, sustained and burst DPS are two different kinds of DPS. One (burst) is most important for raids while one (sustained) is most important for EXP groups. If you're an EXP group and you're choosing between those two, you can bet that the sustained DPS will give you more EXP per hour. People make a big deal about taking down casters quickly but there are an enormous number of abilities and spells that allow many different classes to interrupt casts.

Lojik
09-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Well, in a perfect world, you'd be 100% right.

1615 damage for a sunstrike every ~9.5 seconds is 170+ DPS. That's a ton, right? Close to double what a rogue will do sustained in a level 60 group grinding level 50+ mobs. Except that landing a sunstrike is going to be a ton of aggro and it can be resisted, especially if you're fighting something that is so buff that you're freaking out about needing to burn it down asap. At lower levels the problems are the same: wizards can do burst damage theoretically but they probably will just be getting aggro and having to stun/kite/channel/manage aggro, all of which will decrease damage by a lot.

I'd be surprised to witness a 60 wizard do over 100 DPS "burst" (meaning DPS over the course of a single NPC's life) in a group situation without it being more trouble than it's worth (sure you did 140 DPS on Emperor Chottal, but doing so got you dotted twice and beat to hell which OOMed the cleric and annoyed all the rest of the group cause the mob was summoning and changing facing so the rogues weren't able to backstab, etc). Meanwhile the rogue/monk/charmers are doing 70-100 DPS sustained, perhaps 150 burst if you're looking at a charmer who is also casting for damage or a monk/rogue with disc.

I would love to be proven wrong though!

Well they can manage hate a little bit with root/snare/stuns and also concussion, plus if you time the bursts towards the end of the mobs life they can't retaliate. Also using lure of ice can help prevent generating unnecessary aggro, and I don't think that will be resisted by any mob that a standard group is going to take down. Wizards are nice to have against enraging mobs, maybe rampaging but i forget what that effect does. Also, I assume you are excluding aoe groups when talking about burst dps.

Tecmos Deception
09-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Well they can manage hate a little bit with root/snare/stuns and also concussion, plus if you time the bursts towards the end of the mobs life they can't retaliate. Also using lure of ice can help prevent generating unnecessary aggro, and I don't think that will be resisted by any mob that a standard group is going to take down. Wizards are nice to have against enraging mobs, maybe rampaging but i forget what that effect does.

These are reasons why wizards' burst damage is cool if you're talking purely theoretically, but crappy when you're talking about a real group. The only ways they can manage to actually do burst damage reduce the burst damage they can do.

Snares, roots, and concussion don't do any damage; stuns hardly do any damage. Lures do lower DPS and consume more mana. Nuking hard at the end of mob's life is burst, but the number of times you actually need to burn something down extra quickly when it is low on life are very low. Not many things enrage, and it isn't a big deal anyway cause the tank turns off autoattack if he doesn't want to get riposted and enrage wears off in like 10 seconds anyways.

WoW needs mobs bursted at certain junctures in fights. P99 really does not. And since that is basically the only thing a wizard has going for him (and even then, he really doesn't)... yeah.

Morningbreath
09-10-2013, 06:21 PM
These are reasons why wizards' burst damage is cool if you're talking purely theoretically, but crappy when you're talking about a real group. The only ways they can manage to actually do burst damage reduce the burst damage they can do.

Snares, roots, and concussion don't do any damage; stuns hardly do any damage. Lures do lower DPS and consume more mana. Nuking hard at the end of mob's life is burst, but the number of times you actually need to burn something down extra quickly when it is low on life are very low. Not many things enrage, and it isn't a big deal anyway cause the tank turns off autoattack if he doesn't want to get riposted and enrage wears off in like 10 seconds anyways.

WoW needs mobs bursted at certain junctures in fights. P99 really does not. And since that is basically the only thing a wizard has going for him (and even then, he really doesn't)... yeah.

Back on Live at some point SOE recognized that mages were having a hard time soloing because they kept pulling aggro off their pets with their nukes. It was never mentioned in any patch notes but at some point they DRASTICALLY lowered the aggro on mage nukes. I don't know when they did it but it must have been after Kunark.

Net result? Mages could chain cast nukes without getting aggro. In a cruel twist of fate they became better burners than wizards while their pet provided steady, mana-free DPS that was competitive with melee DPS.

Picked
09-13-2013, 11:23 AM
I am just now going through leveling another wizard up. I didn't find it that bad. I was twinked. So it let me kill a lot of stuff before sitting to med. It made medding to full a little bit more brutal. But it's nice to burn off a tank of mana and go do something productive while you wait. Watching a show on Netflix or Hulu even.

When in a group a wizards dps is not all that bad. Is it a rogue with epic kind of dps? No. Is it a rogue with regular gear? Close. Just don't AFK a lot and make sure you keep using your mana. It will be a noticeable difference. Plus when they see the wizard standing to nuke and suddenly the mobs life drops 30% they will be glad to have you. Also make friends with enchanters. If there is one around be polite but ask them for clarity or breeze. Makes you twice as effective.

Being a wizard is like any other class. The player makes the difference. It's not hard being a good wizard. It just takes a little dedication.

And I vehemently disagree with Wizard solo not being good EXP. Especially when they are able to quad kite. The exp is about as good as it gets. First few levels are rough like people have said. But get in groups. Let them help you get there.

And put all your stat points into Int/Str. Stamina does virtually nothing for wizards. It may give you 5 more hps. Not worth it.

Nirgon
09-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Wizards dont come up on the damage parses shown in group/guild chats

Rogues like to think they invalidate wizards

Lol yeah right

Quad to 60, shit on raid mobs

Esp with Velious banes

Truchainz

gotrocks
09-13-2013, 03:24 PM
shit on raid mobs

Esp with Velious banes

nirgon knows whats up with the wizzies.

Mateo
09-13-2013, 11:00 PM
2k damage is .66% of Vindicator's hp..

Morningbreath
09-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Wizards dont come up on the damage parses shown in group/guild chats

Correct. Only the wizard can parse his damage vs. others in a group. That's when you find out how badly they are outdamaged in groups. Trust me, it's alot worse than you think.

Assuming you can get into a group in the first place. :D

Lojik
09-14-2013, 07:15 PM

Oh wow wizards confirmed suck. Gonna delete mine now.

Motec
09-14-2013, 09:43 PM

No wizard in their right mind wastes peridots on vindicator. Not that you have porlo's/hsagra's so early in velious, and sunstrike lands well on a malo/ro'd vindi anyway.

Tormax is where a wizard shines. Monk/rog DPS is absolutely lame against tormax AC. A couple of wiz/nec and he goes down like a sack.

Andervin
11-01-2013, 09:56 AM

Dueling them was always fun. Root the pet then it's a shoot-out. pew pew ur dead mage

Andervin
11-01-2013, 10:03 AM
...and annoyed all the rest of the group cause the mob was summoning and changing facing so the rogues weren't able to backstab, etc).

This always bugged the shit out of me. How hard is it to go stand by the tank while blasting so if you do get aggro the mob doesn't move and the tank can snatch aggro back faster? They should also be rune tanking if they draw aggro to spare the cleric's mana. I always told the healers not to bother with me until I as under like 30%. If I was getting beat on too much it was my own damned fault.

To the guy that says wizzies are burst dps... very true. They are a "this shit needs to die now" dps class. In a normal xp group their dps is going to be hindered by mana regen. Get some crack and bard in the group and watch the frak out.