PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Necro Questions

Dantes
06-20-2010, 08:59 PM
So I never really played a pet class at all on live, but I started a necro here on P99 for those times when I don't have at least a few hours to play. I have been searching around for old guides but there are a few questions I had about pets that I haven't been able to find out for sure.

1. Do pets hit magical? If no, what level does the pet start to hit for magical damage?
2. At what level can my pet dual wield successfully?
3. Does it actually benefit your pet to give it a weapon?

choklo
06-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Pets hit magical and get dual wield early on(I can't remember exactly when, but it could be almost right away). Yes giving them weapons helps, but it doesn't matter what kind they are. As a rule, I give my pet 2 rusty single-handed weapons and the damage increase is large compared to no weapons. Rusty weapons work as well as any other type of weapons. Weapon stats mean nothing for pets.

Derpus
06-20-2010, 10:07 PM
1. Yes, the highest possible lvl 8 pet and all the 12+ pets hit magical

2. 34 w/ weapons, 44 w/o

3. Pets can get a damage boost for high damage weapons as well as procs. They ignore the delay. A two handed weapon will prevent dual wielding. Giving the lower level pets rusty halberds is popular.

4. Can be done safely in moderation but remember to wash your hands after, and don't get any in your mouth/eyes.

Dantes
06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Then I would also assume that if a pet hits for magical damage, upon equipping the pet with a non-magical rusty weapon the pet no longer hits for magical?

Striiker
06-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Then I would also assume that if a pet hits for magical damage, upon equipping the pet with a non-magical rusty weapon the pet no longer hits for magical?

Incorrect. You can give your pet a rusty weapon and they will still hit magical required mobs.

Damaja
06-21-2010, 04:17 PM
This is similar to the Wisps that drop Lightstones, so all that talk about up there would apply to this then right?

Striiker
06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
This is similar to the Wisps that drop Lightstones, so all that talk about up there would apply to this then right?

Correct regarding the wisps (which require magic to hit them).
I have been hanging out at the old Miller farm in West Karana killing Scarecrows (lvl 14-15 mobs). These require magic hits. I also kill wisps which float around the area. I can give my pets rusty weapons and they work without issue. For some reason thought that some of my lvl 12 pets were too low and didn't have the magic attack (they need to be a minimum level for this). I can recall seeing the invulnerable messages and so I had to gate back to Qeynos before my pet died. The confusion is that someone in this thread mentioned that all pets from the lvl 12 spell get magic attacks but I don't think this is the case. You may summon a pet which is too low (since there is a level range which pets can be)

Dantes
06-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Good info, I will wait until at least level 12 before I start trying to exclusively camp any mobs that require magical hits. Thanks folks!

Excision Rottun
06-21-2010, 05:46 PM
To help clarify:

The level 8 pet summon can hit magical ONLY when it summons the pet itself to be lvl 12.

This is the highest con the level 8 summon will do.

Any lvl 12+ summon will hit magical, always.

Damaja
06-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Correct regarding the wisps (which require magic to hit them).
I have been hanging out at the old Miller farm in West Karana killing Scarecrows (lvl 14-15 mobs). These require magic hits. I also kill wisps which float around the area. I can give my pets rusty weapons and they work without issue. For some reason thought that some of my lvl 12 pets were too low and didn't have the magic attack (they need to be a minimum level for this). I can recall seeing the invulnerable messages and so I had to gate back to Qeynos before my pet died. The confusion is that someone in this thread mentioned that all pets from the lvl 12 spell get magic attacks but I don't think this is the case. You may summon a pet which is too low (since there is a level range which pets can be)
kk thanks