PDA

View Full Version : I like it hard

Kagasumi
03-06-2013, 07:22 PM
So I played EQ many years ago, then played WoW or many years.
I then tried the free to play EQ for a little bit, but it didn't seem quite the same.

However this Project 1999 is just what I am looking for, for that old difficult EQ gameplay. Yes, it can be tough, but man it is rewarding to do even the smallest things.

So I have to struggle to find my class vendors, but memory helps and I do. Then the first level is tough. I'm just struggling to get enough money to buy a spell. I die a couple of times to roaming skeletons. But I hang in there to level 4, now with about 60 gold and every slot has a backpack. I'm on my way after the first day.

This is what I mean, about having to pay attention to your surroundings. You have to be careful, clever, and even looting some lowbie tunic is like a huge treasure. There's no hand holding, and very little forgiveness, but this is how I remember it. It is a great experience to play with the old rules. I won't bash the newer games, they are ok for what they are. But no other MMO was like old EQ. It makes a man out of you.:D

Swish
03-06-2013, 07:27 PM
I can think of tons of advice, but loads of it is scattered around on the forums already... seek, and you shall find! However, I think naturally immersing yourself in the "old world" is a sense of magic in itself - glad you're enjoying it :)

r0xx0r
03-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Original ultima online along with the first expansion are very unforgiving. Was a great introduction to MMO's for me. Made classic everquest seem not bad at all- losing exp is always better than losing all ur items everytime you die to anything, npcs included.

pharmakos
03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
what class/race are you?

Kagasumi
03-06-2013, 08:00 PM
what class/race are you?

I am playing a Dark Elf necromancer.

I briefly considered making an Iksar necro, but I decided to go with Dark Elf. I also have created a magician up to level 4, but I will stay with the necro. I like the multiple utility spells that they get for getting out of a jam (slow the mob, feign death, fear and run).

Back in the day on live EQ, I played a necro and a druid. I might someday make a halfling druid alt.

Kagasumi
03-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Original ultima online along with the first expansion are very unforgiving. Was a great introduction to MMO's for me. Made classic everquest seem not bad at all- losing exp is always better than losing all ur items everytime you die to anything, npcs included.

Yeah I remember Ultima Online. I played it too.

I went into a dungeon once, forgetting I had my key and rune to my guilds tower in my backpack. At the time, you would ban people from entering a house, but you had to target them to do it.

I got killed and looted, and a whole bunch of people teleported to our tower and tried to ransack it. I was inside and kept trying to ban anyone that entered. But they kept coming, and dragging out items before I could ban them all. They managed to get a few items, but I kept them from looting every last thing. They would have killed me if they could have reached the 2nd floor.

It was horrible, and I was freaking out. The game was still a lot of fun, but yeah you could mess up big time in that game.

Kagasumi
03-06-2013, 08:09 PM
I can think of tons of advice, but loads of it is scattered around on the forums already... seek, and you shall find! However, I think naturally immersing yourself in the "old world" is a sense of magic in itself - glad you're enjoying it :)

Your sig pic is from Ong Bak. Great movie!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ong_bak

r0xx0r
03-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Yeah I remember Ultima Online. I played it too.

I went into a dungeon once, forgetting I had my key and rune to my guilds tower in my backpack. At the time, you would ban people from entering a house, but you had to target them to do it.

I got killed and looted, and a whole bunch of people teleported to our tower and tried to ransack it. I was inside and kept trying to ban anyone that entered. But they kept coming, and dragging out items before I could ban them all. They managed to get a few items, but I kept them from looting every last thing. They would have killed me if they could have reached the 2nd floor.

It was horrible, and I was freaking out. The game was still a lot of fun, but yeah you could mess up big time in that game.

great memories of things like this! :) only game that made me sweat! :)

Silo69
03-06-2013, 08:15 PM
you like it hard....?

but play a necro main and a druid alt?

lol, k

Barkingturtle
03-06-2013, 08:21 PM
you like it hard....?

but play a necro main and a druid alt?

lol, k

He likes it half-hard.

Swish
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
If nobody gives him money for spells, free items and advice... he's in "the zone". It is hard to go from scratch, though necros dont need much in the way of gearing he'll struggle to buy all his spells in Neriak, not many quests to do for gold/plat.

Swish
03-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Your sig pic is from Ong Bak. Great movie!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ong_bak

Its not often a GIF on the internet makes me want to watch where it came from... but yeah I'm going to have to ask my "friends on the internet" if I can borrow their copy and watch it :D

Shame its squashed up though (as per incoming rules on pic sizes), the original looks better:-

http://i.imgur.com/QSEZ9gY.gif

Zade
03-06-2013, 09:18 PM
ong bak series are great. sequels dont match the first though. still worthy of watching.

jijii
03-06-2013, 09:30 PM
That's what she said.

(Someone had to)