PDA

View Full Version : Main hand damage question

heartbrand
03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
I know there's a bonus to main hand damage, it appears to be be 11 bonus damage per a hit. Now, for the math nerds, how does that translate into comparing ratios when deciding what weapon is more dps? Is a 19/30 or a 14/23 going to be more dps? Gotta b some formula that can be applied that accounts for bonus to give a more accurate ratio for main hand with the bonus taken into account.

Nogdar
03-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Damage bonus of main hand varies on lvl and delay of weap for 2 handers. This page of the wiki : http://wiki.project1999.org/Game_Mechanics#Melee_Combat_and_Damage explains it well and has a link to a page with the damage bonus table according to level and delay of weap. With it, you can work it out easy :)

koros
03-07-2013, 09:23 AM
There definitely is a formula.

(Damage x 2 + damage bonus) / Delay

This gives the approximate performance relative to other weapons. Extremely high atk will slightly skew this towards pure ratio consideration, and extremely high mob ac will skew it towards low delay.

(19 x 2 + 11)/30 = 49/30 = 1.63

(14 X 2 + 11)/23 = 39/30 = 1.695

bukinashi
03-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Only somewhat related -- if you want a more realistic expectation of the damage you'll do, just skip the part where you multiply the weapon damage by 2.

Explanation:

The calculations people use assume that every hit lands, and for max damage. Even the wiki labels the total as "Average damage" ...
Average_Slash = (2 * Weapon_Base) + Bonus_Modifier + STR Modifier
...that is certainly not true.

After parsing logs of hundreds of fights, I've found that when you are looking at average damage per swings (counting misses!), the real number is reliably close to the actual weapon damage.

For instance, with a 7/23 weapon vs. an evenly matched mob (blue or white), you can expect that your average damage will be something close to 7, even though your maximum hit (pre-20) is 14.

Also I found that strength has little to no effect on rates of missing or whether you get more reliably closer to max damage, prior to level 20. I was pretty surprised by that, since it was contrary to the common wisdom.

(I haven't done post-lvl 20 research yet, since I haven't gotten that far yet!)