PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Tips?

Calidore
03-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Greetings everyone :)

I'm fairly new to Project1999 but I did play EverQuest from 1999 to 2004. I'm having questions about swimming... Mainly I can't recall swimming being so difficult to do. I use Mouselook to move but for some reason, when I'm swimming, I can't go up or down using the mouse. The camera angle moves, but my body doesn't... I have to press Key-9 or Key-3 to be able to move in those directions. Is that how it is intended to work? I guess I just don't recall having to swim like that in Classic times...

zanderklocke
03-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Swim in first person mode is my advice. Use mouse-click view enabled and just right click and move mouse to direct where you go.

planeofdreams
03-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Starting swimming with any race but iksar is a pain, even swimming in first person like Zanderr suggested is still annoying because you lack maneuverability until higher skill levels. My suggestion: roll an iksar.

Calidore
03-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Aha :) That works perfectly... I wonder if that's how I did it back then? It's been too long ;)

Thanks!

joppykid
03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
page up and page down work to move up and down when not in first person

Sizzle
03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Any suggestions on raising swimming skill quickly? there somewhere where you can swim into a corner or something while you eat lunch? :P

Sithel1988
03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
you honestly tried posting your question about swimming on forums, before you zoomed into the first person to see if that would do anything? like the people who sit at kelethin lifts saying "i clicked lift but wont work", because they are so dumb they dont try clicking it more than once. or a guy who sits in a zone for an hour with no druids, spamming "need port really bad" when he can just walk to steamfont or BB druid rings and wait 5 secs for a druid to poof up. some peoples kids.

Calidore
03-04-2013, 04:57 PM
you honestly tried posting your question about swimming on forums, before you zoomed into the first person to see if that would do anything? like the people who sit at kelethin lifts saying "i clicked lift but wont work", because they are so dumb they dont try clicking it more than once. or a guy who sits in a zone for an hour with no druids, spamming "need port really bad" when he can just walk to steamfont or BB druid rings and wait 5 secs for a druid to poof up. some peoples kids.

You are correct, I did Honestly come post here before going to First Person view. Why should the two views be any different as far as movement goes? I already use Mouse Look when in 3rd person and it didn't help swimming up and down, so why should I think that it would be different in 1st person view?

I'm just utilizing one of the many resources at my finger tips to get answers to questions. I hope You feel like I wasted your time.

Sithel1988
03-04-2013, 05:00 PM
would make a horrible MacGyver

Waedawen
03-04-2013, 05:03 PM
200 swim @ character creation master race

Ephirith
03-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Any suggestions on raising swimming skill quickly? there somewhere where you can swim into a corner or something while you eat lunch? :P

I'm not sure this still exists, but if you level in Oasis or Lake of Ill Omen and run along the coastline, but with your feet in the water, your swimming skill will go up. Was usually good for 60 or so skillups on my chars over the course of those zones.

Meeper
03-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Swim in first person mode is my advice.

People play in 3rd person? :eek:

The immersion for EQ (for me) came from seeing the world in 1st-person. Every other MMORPG I've played has defaulted to 3rd person view (WoW looked very pretty when zoomed in to 1st-person, but was a pain in the arse to play that way).

Bill Tetley
03-04-2013, 06:23 PM

Put game in windowed mode. Enter the water and point your camera at the sky while in first person mode. Press Left or Right while swimming and then click out of the EQ window on your desktop. This will make you swim automatically above water in tight circles... you won't go under and your swimming will skill up. Proceed to eat lunch.

Mithas
03-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Innothule Swamp worked for me, but then again I was a troll. You just run through the shallow parts and skill will start to go up slowly. Had my skill above 40 by the time I left.

Autotune
03-04-2013, 06:28 PM

easiest way to do it is to find a body of water where you won't get attacked. Then go into it and angle your camera up and start swimming in a circle, while doing this then hit your enter key to bring up chat, your character will keep swimming in a circle. Finally, AFK for the night.

Droog007
03-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Most of you probably remember maxing your swimming on live by numlocking into a corner with your head just above water. Somehow this trick has been defeated for us on P99.

I have a theory: the code calculates how far you have moved since your last skillup check and modifies the chance of getting that skillup accordingly. In other words, if you are stationary you have zero chance. Conversely - if you are flying along with sow speed or better and getting your toes wet occasionally, you have a much increased chance of skillup.

I also play a troll and had a pretty good swimming skill before leaving the swamp. This headstart may have amplified my skillup chances - I've spent no time purposefully trying to raise the swimming skill and I am at about 196 I think, possibly because I was moving faster through the water on those occasions when I needed to swim. Others (notably a particular barbarian) have run in the same circles as I have for about the same amount of time and have dismal skill by comparison.

Tecmos Deception
03-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Calidore... like the planet from Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic?

That'd be a super awesome and ridiculously obscure reference.

It'd be less fun it is a Keats reference, even though SWFM prolly was doing the same thing.

zanderklocke
03-04-2013, 07:39 PM
I have been able to have swimming go up by swimming into walls barely angled, so I eventually move. For some reason this stopped working super well for me. I've tried pressing "shift" + "/" to swim in auto circle. However, what worked best for me was just swimming to seafury island any time I was going to take boat to there. If you make a habit of swimming when you are traveling by water, you will reach 200 easily.

I feel like swimming is capped like other level related skills if I remember right.

Spoonerism
03-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Mistmoore pond :-P.

Get invis and swim against the wall!

(Or Crushbone perhaps?)

Anywhere you are exping- if you are just sitting there waiting for pulls...people to get mana...to join a group..start "auto-running" into a wall while swimming in the water. It'll skill up quickly!

(My SK is like lvl 28? and is maxed on swimming currently :P)

Spoonerism
03-04-2013, 09:49 PM
easiest way to do it is to find a body of water where you won't get attacked. Then go into it and angle your camera up and start swimming in a circle, while doing this then hit your enter key to bring up chat, your character will keep swimming in a circle. Finally, AFK for the night.

I was curious how people did this. Forget my above post, this is a great idea. lol

Crazrum
03-04-2013, 11:57 PM
The way I did it was to swim in the water off the coast of West Karana, back and forth from the barb huts to NK zone. You can point your view up and swim into the invisible wall in the middle of the river, but angled so you aren't stationary. It takes a loooong time to swim all the way across WK, even with maxed swimming. I wouldn't go completely AFK, but it's good to do while you're eating at your PC, watching a movie on 2nd monitor, etc.

Brimacombe
03-05-2013, 01:04 AM
I always play good races, so I just go to Felwithe and swim into the corner on autorun before I go to sleep. Wake up and I am capped. Easy peasy.

- Brimacombe

HippoNipple
03-05-2013, 01:14 AM
bluebies discussing bluebie problems

Droog007
03-05-2013, 03:19 PM
.. says the fucking smurf.

Arterian
03-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Put game in windowed mode. Enter the water and point your camera at the sky while in first person mode. Press Left or Right while swimming and then click out of the EQ window on your desktop. This will make you swim automatically above water in tight circles... you won't go under and your swimming will skill up. Proceed to eat lunch.

B-I-L-L-T E-T-L-E-Y!!!!! Bill Tetley!!!!!!