PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: PvP Level Range

SamwiseRed
03-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Currently the server has several custom (non classic) features to its ruleset which IMO are hurting the server. Today I would like to address one of the bigger issues of pvp level range. 42's being in range to 50's, 52's being in range to 60's ect is absurd with this resist system. Especially on a FFA server. Because of how resists work, the lower level range you are from a person trying to root(or any spell) you, the more MR (or other resists) you need. You already need a ton of MR to resist CC and other spells from an even con player but there is no way in hell a new player/untwink lvl 52 is going to stand a chance against a lvl 60. This resist system is already crazy.

Why punish new players like this? It is not classic and its not healthy for the server for people to ding 52 then just get raped repeatedly by 60s. The custom level range is too far from fair, balanced, and most importantly too far from classic.

Solution: Implement the classic 4 level range for PvP. This will solve a lot of the resist problems people are talking about because at least now you will be somewhat close to the level range of your attacker. I believe this would be a great first step towards improving the server and making it more classic.

Tippett
03-03-2013, 03:28 PM
i concur

SamwiseRed
03-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Also I would like to see Solb and Permafrost have their FFA PvP (any level can attack any level) flag taken off. I am not sure if this is classic or not. If its not then there is definitely no reason for it. Those are the main leveling places for people 50+ outside Kunark but right now its really just a grief zone. I've seen level 40's groups wiped because a couple of 60s wanted some easy kills.

Splorf22
03-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Currently the server has several custom (non classic) features to its ruleset which IMO are hurting the server. Today I would like to address one of the bigger issues of pvp level range. 42's being in range to 50's, 52's being in range to 60's ect is absurd with this resist system. Especially on a FFA server. Because of how resists work, the lower level range you are from a person trying to root(or any spell) you, the more MR (or other resists) you need. You already need a ton of MR to resist CC and other spells from an even con player but there is no way in hell a new player/untwink lvl 52 is going to stand a chance against a lvl 60. This resist system is already crazy.

Why punish new players like this? It is not classic and its not healthy for the server for people to ding 52 then just get raped repeatedly by 60s. The custom level range is too far from fair, balanced, and most importantly classic.

Solution: Implement the classic 4 level range for PvP. This will solve a lot of the resist problems people are talking about because at least now you will be somewhat close to the level range of your attacker. I believe this would be a great first step towards improving the server and making it more classic.

IMO relative level should not impact things like resist rates or at least not much (like a 2 point penalty per level or something). The higher-level player already has a huge advantage in terms of hp/mana/skillcaps/spells and most probably gear as well.

SamwiseRed
03-03-2013, 06:08 PM
well it does impact them and by alot here. most important thing is its not classic and is hurting the server more than anything.

SamwiseRed
03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
bump, this is definitely a top 3 change needed for red99 along with a new resist dev and no more xp loss on pvp death. This should be an easy fix (I hope and think) this is why i am pushing for it first. Would love to get some comments from Rogean or Nilbog.

edit: obligatory custom level range isnt classic.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/images/p99-gold-flat.gif

Jenni D
03-04-2013, 11:21 AM
agreed fully

could open up the raid scene too

SamwiseRed
03-04-2013, 11:23 AM
another good point made by box hero and legend Big Tina / Jenjen / Jenn

Nirgon
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Bump for make it classic

3 kinds of complaints since I've been around here.

"Ugh that's stupid.... but its classic so whatever"

"Ugh that's stupid... why did they put in this custom change!?"

"Ugh that's stupid... when are they going to fix it?!"

2 kinds of "other" comments.

"That's not classic, don't say anything"
"Enjoy it before they patch it"

Enjoy it!? WHAT!?

Dullah
03-04-2013, 04:10 PM
The OP is mistaken and obviously has little to no experience in pvp on red99.

Level has little to no (probably none at all) bearing on resists. I kill 60s with my 52 wizard all the time. Draughts from a 52 wizard land for full more often than not. With a few dispels, they land for full every time on a target without high resist gear. Roots from a 52 land on 60s, even with upwards of 200 MR.

This is a non-issue.

The real issue is implementing a system where having resists matters more, and level enters the equation to some degree.

Nirgon
03-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Nah it should be 4 lvls, shit's classic. I don't need to be able to tears of prexus some newbie group, that is ridiculous.

Solb is grief city for the little newbs too. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone other than people blowing up the lvl 30s new to the server.

4 lvls, remove raid zone label from solb/perma, done deal. Shit is classic and makes sense again.

Dullah
03-04-2013, 04:15 PM
4 levels is classic for Rallos, but not classic for other servers...

There is a way to scale resists without making it ridiculous, but currently there is no discernible scaling at all. I really couldn't care about the scaling either way, but rather that resists work in a classic fashion.

Nirgon
03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Rallos was Red sir

Change server name to Red 99 (Custom EverQuest: Rallos/Sullon/Tallon/Vallon Zek, scaling level range, xp loss on death, no teams, custom resists, 2 old classic zones still raid zones, no training, no item loot)

Should be!

Red 99: Ruins of Kunark (Legit, Classic Rallos Zek)

heartbrand
03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
It's absolutely retarded I have to stack MR over everything else to even have a SHOT at resisting root at the expense of all other resists, and still end up getting rooted half the time anyway with 200~ MR

Nirgon
03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
This is the level range thread, shoo

heartbrand
03-04-2013, 04:53 PM
but yet you've cried about resists in here so I chimed in, shoo

SamwiseRed
03-04-2013, 05:14 PM
trust me i know there is more to fix, im just trying to deal with the issues one thread at a time.

i think this is one of the easiest changes that could be made that will improve server quality and make it more classic.

instead of making a list of 20 changes like level range, t staff, resists, bolts, ect ect ect im trying to take a more simple approach that wont be so overwhelming for the devs.

SamwiseRed
03-04-2013, 05:16 PM
4 levels is classic for Rallos, but not classic for other servers...

There is a way to scale resists without making it ridiculous, but currently there is no discernible scaling at all. I really couldn't care about the scaling either way, but rather that resists work in a classic fashion.

all other servers were teams. this is a FFA server therefore its pretty much defaulted to be a Rallos Zek emulation.

Null also told me level range has very much to do with resists rates so unless he was just trolling me, my point still stands.

Jenni D
03-04-2013, 08:12 PM
not sure why anyone would be against a classic 4 lvl pvp range.

keep this bumped Sam.

Handpartytowel
03-04-2013, 09:18 PM
52 wizard will land non lures on 60s all day for full.

SamwiseRed
03-04-2013, 09:40 PM
4 level range is classic

Tippett
03-04-2013, 11:03 PM
8 level range too big

ForesakkenRZ
03-04-2013, 11:15 PM
could not agree with you anymore Sam, i been on the server a little over a two weeks, and even a 6 level range is extreme, if anyone EVER played on Rallos Zek, they would know that 4 levels was already a big deal, for all the reasons you want to ding a new level on a PvE server, those same reasons are doubled if not tripled on a PvP server. Your mana , your health, your skills, your spells all get upgrades that are noticed while playing, to say its fair for a lvl 60 to roll up on a lvl 52 is out right silly, and who cares if a lvl 52 lure hits for full dmg? b/c a lvl 60 sunstrike is comming your way.... dont you get the whole point here? you are asking someone to fight their exactly same class, just 8 levels better, you could be buck naked with no gear, and its not going to happen. Anymore than asking someone to go kill an NPC 8 levels higher...... seriously, no biggy just go solo level 60's at 52... try it out sometime. Just my two cents~~

SamwiseRed
03-04-2013, 11:21 PM
also this change would allow for up and coming guilds in the low 50s/high 40s to contest naggy/vox without being rolled by 60 mains.

take the FFA flag from perma/solb off. let new players fight over dragons.

MOST importantly, 4 level pvp range is classic.

Jenni D
03-05-2013, 12:09 AM
bump for classic

SamwiseRed
03-05-2013, 01:36 AM
4 level range is classic

Loli Pops
03-05-2013, 03:55 AM
4 lvl range pls 8 lvl ganks are retarded

SamwiseRed
03-05-2013, 12:06 PM
had a dream last night about a classic eq pvp server. in this dream the level range for pvp was 4. make this mans dreams come true.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqkuc4VA3u1qcyjm3o1_500.gif

Nirgon
03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Solo from 1-52, get BundyQuested 52+.

Red99.

heartbrand
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
had a dream last night about a classic eq pvp server. in this dream the level range for pvp was 4. make this mans dreams come true.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqkuc4VA3u1qcyjm3o1_500.gif

dude it's hard enough finding consistent pvp, now you wanna shrink the range?

SamwiseRed
03-05-2013, 01:50 PM
rolling 40s and low 50s in solb isnt pvp, its a slaughter. why does this server have to be about nihilum? lets lower guilds contest old world dragons without worrying about vp geared 60s crushing them all.

heartbrand
03-05-2013, 02:59 PM
because we rolled on red to pvp not to hand hold

SamwiseRed
03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
if you really wanted pvp you would stay at 52 which will put you in range of everyone from 44 to 60

SamwiseRed
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
also we came here for classic pvp, not custom

there is no argument here. 4 level range is classic.

heartbrand
03-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Naw dawg cuz there's no range in sol b

SamwiseRed
03-05-2013, 03:13 PM
not classic

Jenni D
03-06-2013, 03:30 AM
bump not classic

Dullah
03-06-2013, 04:01 AM
8 level range is classic. 4 level range is classic. No level range is classic(discord).

Its 8 here.

PvP is scarce enough as it is. The resist code here allows dots to land and nuking players 8 levels above you for full damage. Its not like its 8 levels on SZ where you couldn't even land shit on someone max range above you. Shit you could barely land spells on people 4 levels above you on RZ by virtue of levels alone.

Count your blessings.

Leftoverture
03-06-2013, 04:37 AM
8 is classic for vallon zek & tallon zek

vz/tz is ridiculed by bluebies here

8 lvl range not classic

SamwiseRed
03-06-2013, 08:03 AM
8 level range is classic. 4 level range is classic. No level range is classic(discord).

Its 8 here.

PvP is scarce enough as it is. The resist code here allows dots to land and nuking players 8 levels above you for full damage. Its not like its 8 levels on SZ where you couldn't even land shit on someone max range above you. Shit you could barely land spells on people 4 levels above you on RZ by virtue of levels alone.

Count your blessings.

PvP is scarce because more than half the server (and the people in range of you) are in one guild lol. If you really want pvp unguild and I promise you, you will get your pvp fix. If 8 level range is classic then where are my teams that come with the 8 level range? I know you love your easy kills on 52s (probably your only kills) but I am pushing for a classic pvp server.

not sure what else there is to say.

Tippett
03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
ITS A FFA SERVER DURING CLASSIC THE ONLY FFA SERVER HAD A 4 LEVEL RANGE FOR A REASON

SHITS CLASSIC DOGS IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN FUCK YOU

that is all

Nirgon
03-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Some of the 52s I've killed really gave me a big thrill and sense of accomplishment.

Not.

They got it bad enough soloing in no gear, then you are going to add someone with at least group content gear and 55+ spells dumping on them? Mmmm.. gotta say not a good system.

4 lvls all the way through. This was a system brought to you by the people who made all the other stuff you like about classic EQ, let's trust their judgement. Or, at least maybe make it 4 and people will think they're logging into a classic server.

Snufz
03-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Lower the level range and you will see a ton of oor healers. Untouchable lvl 50-55 clerics.

SamwiseRed
03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I can see while Nihilum would want this un classic feature. it solely benefits them. somehow this level range worked on RZ yet you are saying it cant work here?

Nirgon
03-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Cross teaming is infinitely worse than oor healing.

People can already oor heal with some lvl 44 healers, or run lvl 44 bards etc.

The difference is obviously bringing a 60 healer is > a 44 healer, and a 60 bard > a 44 bard.

OOR healing issues would be few and far between, and really a non issue in raid zones.

I never saw pvp that mattered worth more than a hill of shit decided by oor healing on RZ.

OOR healing is already here, and there are better complaints against it like lowbies trying to pvp and getting healed by higher levels. Dems da breaks.

Dullah
03-06-2013, 05:27 PM
This thread makes me lol.

Blue as fuk if you want to reduce the pvp range. I have a character I leave at 52 because it means I get 17 levels of pvp.

If I had made this stupid thread, I'd have never heard the end of it.

SamwiseRed
03-06-2013, 05:35 PM
This thread makes me lol.

Blue as fuk if you want to reduce the pvp range. I have a character I leave at 52 because it means I get 17 levels of pvp.

If I had made this stupid thread, I'd have never heard the end of it.

blue as fuck would be joining a guild with more than 80% (if not more) of the level 60s. you've pretty much eliminated any possiblity of fighting someone on even grounds (level and gear) and you want to talk about blue as fuck? lol

anyways despite your bluebie attitude it comes down to not classic. you cry about t staff not being classic because it is something that works against you. yet you want this non-classic feature because it benefits you. obvious hypocrite is obvious.

Nirgon
03-06-2013, 05:37 PM
I'll put my Dullah hat on and reply to Samwise's last comment:

Samwise you just mad cuz they will use Trak Teeth on us and not your lvl 52 char.

Dullah
03-06-2013, 05:41 PM
blue as fuck would be joining a guild with more than 80% (if not more) of the level 60s. you've pretty much eliminated any possiblity of fighting someone on even grounds (level and gear) and you want to talk about blue as fuck? lol

anyways despite your bluebie attitude it comes down to not classic. you cry about t staff not being classic because it is something that works against you. yet you want this non-classic feature because it benefits you. obvious hypocrite is obvious.

8 levels has already been proven to be classic.

While there was 200 people online weekend before last, my "huge" guild had 35 players online. Thats about 1/6th of the online population.

Just admit you are afraid to pvp and be done with it.

SamwiseRed
03-06-2013, 05:41 PM
ye i like how destin claims to have played rz. i remember when he used to push for a more rallos zek-like server but now hes gone full blue. back on topic

4 level range is classic, the current CUSTOM system is not. for the sake of project 1999 and what it stands for put in classic level ranges and remove solb/perma from FFA status.

this is simply a no brainer if the banner means anything to this server.

SamwiseRed
03-06-2013, 05:42 PM
8 levels has already been proven to be classic.

While there was 200 people online weekend before last, my "huge" guild had 35 players online. Thats about 1/6th of the online population.

Just admit you are afraid to pvp and be done with it.

how was 8 levels provin classic lol. 4 up and 4 down. not 8 up and 8 down. you def didnt play rz if you think the current custom system is classic.

SamwiseRed
03-06-2013, 05:44 PM
ye i like how destin claims to have played rz. i remember when he used to push for a more rallos zek-like server but now hes gone full blue. back on topic

4 level range is classic, the current CUSTOM system is not. for the sake of project 1999 and what it stands for put in classic level ranges and remove solb/perma from FFA status.

this is simply a no brainer if the banner means anything to this server.

Nirgon
03-06-2013, 06:05 PM
8 levels is not classic for any FFA server. Stop trying to convince me otherwise. Who do you think you're talking to, someone trying to app Nihilum that got run off of blue? Someone who believes everything you say because you're lvl 60 on p99 red? HEH.

Dullah
03-06-2013, 06:51 PM
how was 8 levels provin classic lol. 4 up and 4 down. not 8 up and 8 down. you def didnt play rz if you think the current custom system is classic.

No where does this server boast itself to be a classic Rallos Zek pvp server.

Different features of this server are derived from different EQ pvp servers.

SamwiseRed
03-06-2013, 07:32 PM
except the important ones that distinguished the servers apart. teams, no gm intervention, legalized training, no pvp level limit, item loot, ect ect.

SamwiseRed
03-06-2013, 09:53 PM
I have a character I leave at 52 because it means I get 17 levels of pvp.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif

Jenni D
03-06-2013, 11:56 PM
opens up the raid scene.
brings more players.
classic.

bump

SamwiseRed
03-07-2013, 11:17 AM
mage epic pet got fixed without any posted evidence immediately.

i am not sure how this is still not resolved.

looking for classic level range in pvp (4 up or down from your level) shits classic whats the problem?

psyops
03-08-2013, 12:48 AM
4 levels is what this should be.

SamwiseRed
03-08-2013, 12:14 PM
4 levels is what this should be.

umm this is a simple classic fix? confused with the delay.

^^

Nirgon
03-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Sam this is at the bottom of the priority list. And I'm not saying that with a scathing tone or trying to imply anything.

We were told blue/Velious is #1 even before the box launched. Don't be giving them too much of a hard time :P. He's seen your post.

SamwiseRed
03-08-2013, 01:27 PM
a simple no would be nice :)

Nirgon
03-08-2013, 01:38 PM
It is "no" until they say otherwise. There ya go pal.

heartbrand
03-08-2013, 04:31 PM
This change would kill PVP, it's hard enough to find people in range, now you want to reduce the pool even further and open up the can of worms that is OOR healers? Considering levels here have no impact on resists in PVP I see no reason to make this change.

Nirgon
03-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Oh for Christ's sake HB how many 52's are coming at you guys versus the other way around.

I'll be 60 and casting prexus on lvl 52's and saying the same damn thing I've always said. 4 levels.

Take a deep breath, realize I'm not a scum bag, and I don't post anything selfishly and cut it out.

Nizzarr
03-08-2013, 04:41 PM
should put in that code that if you oor heal you become free target. Would clean up pvp

Nirgon
03-08-2013, 04:46 PM
How many times have you seen oors show up? You realize this involves camping out a main, right?

SamwiseRed
03-08-2013, 06:11 PM
This change would kill PVP, it's hard enough to find people in range, now you want to reduce the pool even further and open up the can of worms that is OOR healers? Considering levels here have no impact on resists in PVP I see no reason to make this change.

Null confirmed levels are important when it comes to pvp resists.

Noone is bringing an OOR healer when they can bring a main.

The reason its hard to find anyone in range because more than half the people that are in range are in the same guild. Most players quit by the time they hit 40's low 50's. Low 50's are not contesting anything 60's are unless you consider bats and bugs a valuable camp. Again why are we even arguing this. shit isnt classic.

Tippett
03-08-2013, 09:43 PM
8 is way too big and not classic for a FFA server

fix this dum shit

SamwiseRed
03-08-2013, 09:50 PM
im done bumping this and other classic changes. hope these changes are considered. thanks.

Leftoverture
03-08-2013, 11:07 PM
8 is classic for vallon zek & tallon zek

vz/tz is ridiculed by bluebies here

8 lvl range not classic

Tippett
03-09-2013, 09:15 AM
ya it does get gay bumping shit forever and not hearing jack

Tippett
03-10-2013, 01:05 PM
ya it does get gay bumping shit forever and not hearing jack

SamwiseRed
10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
le bump

SamwiseRed
10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
should put in that code that if you oor heal you become free target. Would clean up pvp

good idea btw. beneficial spells should flag you.

Wily
04-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Bumping because classic FFA PVP (Rallos Zek) had a 4 level range.

Anecdotal evidence from IGN:

http://web.archive.org/web/20001030075321/http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=6983802&replies=2

Nirgon
04-14-2014, 01:14 PM
4 level range or you'll be turning this baby off soon :p

Faerie
04-14-2014, 11:21 PM

Was really bugged at server start, remember? Would need to be played with probably. Good idea though.