PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous: Invisible air pets

nilbog
03-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Should not show parentheses ( ) around them, IIRC.

The parentheses were added for player characters in a 1999 patch for eqlive. I am not certain when this was added for air pets, but it doesn't exist on eqmac afaik.

y/n ?

Nirgon
03-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I'll put this up on the list of early 1999 things gone from the internet.

As far as pets considered players/npcs, maybe some of these memories point it in this direction? I know for a while guards/npcs at least in light race cities would attack summoned skeleton pets, or players in skeleton illusion, or even someone who was hit by ignite bones (clearest memory of these!). We also had pets that when given see invis would not poof. Lots changed with pets and the master/pet relationship, and also those with player illusions I believe that you won't find in patch notes.

Another side note, if this helps at all, is that it was possible to invis your pet, then give it a buff (burn out for example) and when it attacked players it would not drop invis for a few patches.

When your sought change was implemented? I know in Velious air pets had parenthesis when invis.... but not always.

My vote is to add parenthesis on invisible pet names to your classic time line for a while and remove it at the time the player names get the same thing. I absolutely recall no parenthesis on invis, just them becoming visible with see invis during vanilla.

As far as deep reaching nuances like this, I have someone you can talk to (its not me), and I absolutely promise its worth 10 minutes of your time if he agrees to discuss things.

nilbog
03-10-2013, 03:02 PM
My vote is to add parenthesis on invisible pet names to your classic time line for a while and remove it at the time the player names get the same thing.

Players received the ( ) in a 1999 patch. Air elementals still do not have ( ) to this day on eqmac. I was thinking the change happened during or post PoP.

Nizzarr
03-10-2013, 07:43 PM
I remember invising/sowing griffins in east commons after charming them. Camping them near orcs groups, log back in and watch the massacre. They'd stay invis.

nilbog
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
To be clear, all I'm asking is if invisible air pets should show parentheses around their names in classic. I don't think they should.

(Jobeker)

Treats
03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
I think this proves they didn't have parentheses?

He is talking about casting See Invisible on him and his group I think?

Um, yes, it does. It just doesn't put the little parentheses around their names
to indicate whether they are invisible or not. I know that at level 16, my
Magician had a little more peace of mind, (as did my group,) since I no longer
had to tap the "/pet follow me" button as I walked to make sure my Air pet
hadn't gone exploring without me. Invisibility and See Invis both work on pets.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/alt.games.everquest/smB-EzPzj9E

Metallikus
03-23-2013, 01:52 PM
To be clear, all I'm asking is if invisible air pets should show parentheses around their names in classic. I don't think they should.

(Jobeker)

shouldnt it behave exactly the same as invisible npc's such as the guano harvester lurking in sol b? he shows his name in parenthesis if u have see invis.

nilbog
03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
shouldnt it behave exactly the same as invisible npc's such as the guano harvester lurking in sol b? he shows his name in parenthesis if u have see invis.

Yes, npcs which invis would be affected by this, but I was specifically asking about pets.

Finding evidence of a pet without ( ) would be more likely than finding a screenshot of guano harvester without ( ). You wouldn't be able to tell if he was invis or walking around without invis from aggroing someone else.

He currently shows his name in parentheses but I do not think he would in classic. You would either see him or you wouldn't.